SUGGESTION: Security Camera

KirodashiKirodashi Member
edited April 2018 in Suggestions & Comments
The security camera is a block that keeps a record of all actions done by people with permission in a realm.

To avoid lag, it keeps the records in a simple text format, with the name of the player, the action performed, and the cubic time it was performed.

Only the owner may place or remove a security camera.

To avoid abuse of the records kept, the records cannot be reset, modified, or deleted by the owner.

To avoid spam, when many blocks/items are placed in a short time period, it will keep all the items in one line.

Example
Thu Apr 12 6:43:28 -> Kirodashi entered Kirodashi's Realm.
Thu Apr 12 6:44:04 - Thu Apr 12 6:50:34 -> Kirodashi placed 20 White Marble, 4 Fancy Mosaic, and 40 Tropical Grass.

Comments

•  gdog gdog Retired Moderator
    Been suggested before.
    If they have permissions why do you need the details of what they are doing?
    If you don't trust them enough that you need a security camera then they probably shouldn't have permissions in the first place.
  • gdog said:

Been suggested before.
    If they have permissions why do you need the details of what they are doing?
    If you don't trust them enough that you need a security camera then they probably shouldn't have permissions in the first place.

I think it's more of a just in case thing. People say that a plunger is something that you should have before you need it, and this is a similar thing.

It would provide proof in cases where people steal things, and they would actually get punished rather than being allowed to roam free like they are currently, because of the lack of proof.
  • There is already proof is somebody who is trusted steals your blocks. 1. They are on the trusted list. 2. There are blocks missing. 3. If there was a security camera, what would prevent the person who is stealing to not dig up the camera as well? 4. DO NOT TRUST anybody who you have not known for a long time, or in real life.
  • There is already proof is somebody who is trusted steals your blocks. 1. They are on the trusted list. 2. There are blocks missing. 3. If there was a security camera, what would prevent the person who is stealing to not dig up the camera as well? 4. DO NOT TRUST anybody who you have not known for a long time, or in real life.

By 'proof' I mean hard evidence that can be used to make a ban. The moderators currently don't ban thieves because there is insufficient evidence in the majority of cases.

For your reason number 3, It was stated in the original post that only the owner may place or remove a security camera.
  • Just do not trust anybody who you do not truly know. Bam. All of your theft reports stop coming in. I think this would be an unnecessary step.
    Kirodashi said:

There is already proof is somebody who is trusted steals your blocks. 1. They are on the trusted list. 2. There are blocks missing. 3. If there was a security camera, what would prevent the person who is stealing to not dig up the camera as well? 4. DO NOT TRUST anybody who you have not known for a long time, or in real life.

By 'proof' I mean hard evidence that can be used to make a ban. The moderators currently don't ban thieves because there is insufficient evidence in the majority of cases.

For your reason number 3, It was stated in the original post that only the owner may place or remove a security camera.
    If they have permissions then they have permission to mine, build or take anything in the realm/room.
    This would only lead to people thinking this is a deterrent to stealing which it wouldn't be. As if you have permissions then you have permission to take whatever you wish.

• KirodashiKirodashi Member
    edited April 2018
    gdog said:

Kirodashi said:

There is already proof is somebody who is trusted steals your blocks. 1. They are on the trusted list. 2. There are blocks missing. 3. If there was a security camera, what would prevent the person who is stealing to not dig up the camera as well? 4. DO NOT TRUST anybody who you have not known for a long time, or in real life.

If they have permissions then they have permission to mine, build or take anything in the realm/room.
    This would only lead to people thinking this is a deterrent to stealing which it wouldn't be. As if you have permissions then you have permission to take whatever you wish.

If the item was implemented, it would be coded so that only owners could place/remove them. Sort of like how only owners can place Nukes- I don't think it would be hard to code something that blocked non-owners from placing or removing them.

EDIT: I just realized what you meant by that. So even if there was evidence, people stealing will not get punished? That's peculiar~
    Kirodashi said:

gdog said:

Kirodashi said:

If the item was implemented, it would be coded so that only owners could place/remove them. Sort of like how only owners can place Nukes- I don't think it would be hard to code something that blocked non-owners from placing or removing them.

EDIT: I just realized what you meant by that. So even if there was evidence, people stealing will not get punished? That's peculiar~
    It's not stealing if you give them permissions.
    I only very rarely warn people for taking items in a realm they have permissions in.
  • gdog said:

Kirodashi said:

gdog said:

Kirodashi said:

It's not stealing if you give them permissions.
    I only very rarely warn people for taking items in a realm they have permissions in.
    Wow, TIL.
    Sorry, didn’t know that. Makes this rather useless then, so please close this :)
This discussion has been closed.