Question for Cosmic and Kewb and other developers.

iCantiWilliCantiWill Member
in Off-Topic 80.50 Karma
So today i was discussing with someone at school what i am going to study at college/uni (not sure what you call it, it’s different in my country) next year. After an hour we finally got a result.
Turns out if i study computer science-Game designing, it will be so hard for me cause i’m not that good at maths.
But i am going to give it a try.
But then we got another result, Computer Animation.
Now i’m wondering if i do need to know how to draw, is it necessary for 3D games, cause aren’t you posing a puppet there?
And most importantly, does it provide a good salary?
And can i like work at huge game companies etc?
Thanks for your answer in advance ;)

Comments

  • Space_fetusSpace_fetus Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    130.25 Karma
    from the sounds of it you will be doing primarily animation.
    sure you will need a basic understanding of modelling but if your working for companies you will be handed the models as you will be purely animating them.
    in terms of money that really depends company to company but yes you should be able to work for big companies should your portfolio of work be good enough
  • RaizusekuRaizuseku Member
    12.90 Karma
    I’ve seen people who are not good at math and are doing exceptionally well in my computer science class. You will have to do a lot more math in computer science as well but it’s mostly Discrete math which involves logic more than algebra. Proofs are one of the major things that you’ll encounter if you choose computer science but overall, I love it.

    On the other hand, Computer Animation requires you to work with sprites, 3-D or 2-D depending on the game and render them to create visual motion and things similar to that. It may or may not require you to create a 3-D or 2-D model object by yourself since you’ll probably be working with other team members. The size of the team depends on the company as well as the salary you might get.

    As a side note, both of these jobs require you to work in a team and that will never be optional. Even if you develop a game by yourself and it does really well, you’ll have to manage a team to keep track of everything so it’s practically a requirement in game development related majors. So, after you start uni, I suggest you apply for internship aa soon as possible (maybe after your first year).
  • iCantiWilliCantiWill Member
    80.50 Karma

    from the sounds of it you will be doing primarily animation.
    sure you will need a basic understanding of modelling but if your working for companies you will be handed the models as you will be purely animating them.
    in terms of money that really depends company to company but yes you should be able to work for big companies should your portfolio of work be good enough

    I’m hoping for foreign companies. Fingers crossed.
    NoeNt said:

    When you say you are not good at maths you mean you cant understand them or you dont like them? Because i had the same problem until last year...But then it changed because i realised that they are easier if you focus on them and try harder.

    I find maths hard but i know that if i study well i could be very good at it. But sadly i never study good, i always rage. But i will try my best.
    Raizuseku said:

    I’ve seen people who are not good at math and are doing exceptionally well in my computer science class. You will have to do a lot more math in computer science as well but it’s mostly Discrete math which involves logic more than algebra. Proofs are one of the major things that you’ll encounter if you choose computer science but overall, I love it.

    On the other hand, Computer Animation requires you to work with sprites, 3-D or 2-D depending on the game and render them to create visual motion and things similar to that. It may or may not require you to create a 3-D or 2-D model object by yourself since you’ll probably be working with other team members. The size of the team depends on the company as well as the salary you might get.

    As a side note, both of these jobs require you to work in a team and that will never be optional. Even if you develop a game by yourself and it does really well, you’ll have to manage a team to keep track of everything so it’s practically a requirement in game development related majors. So, after you start uni, I suggest you apply for internship aa soon as possible (maybe after your first year).

    Even if it’s easy as soon as i get in, i need to pass the exam so they can accept me, everyone warned me that it’s hard. Plus creating a game and finding a team is a lot of responsabilities, i’m not sure i can handle them.
    On the other side if i study animation i will be able to apply to companies and have my own desk which makes stuff easier for me.
    Btw, if i do want to apply for an internship, don’t i need a bachelor/Master degree at animation so i can start working for the company?
  • RaizusekuRaizuseku Member
    12.90 Karma


    Btw, if i do want to apply for an internship, don’t i need a bachelor/Master degree at animation so i can start working for the company?

    No, there are internship opportunities while you are studying. You could do it over summer or during the school year. It also depends on the university you go to and/or get admitted to. Companies look for current undergraduate student to "try out" their company to get a feel of how it is like to work for them. Some internship opportunities pay you to do so while rest of them are volunteer based.
  • Bluejay_1Bluejay_1 Member
    54.00 Karma
    you need maths to do gaming design? wow. I'm on the right track XD
    Gaming Animation sounds pretty awesome. don't know salary but I guess sometimes it depends on the company
  • RageanRagean Member
    12.10 Karma
    Bluejay_1 said:

    you need maths to do gaming design? wow. I'm on the right track XD
    Gaming Animation sounds pretty awesome. don't know salary but I guess sometimes it depends on the company

    Mulitiplication and subtraction you have to be good at I believe
  • Bluejay_1Bluejay_1 Member
    54.00 Karma
    Ragean said:

    Bluejay_1 said:

    you need maths to do gaming design? wow. I'm on the right track XD
    Gaming Animation sounds pretty awesome. don't know salary but I guess sometimes it depends on the company

    Mulitiplication and subtraction you have to be good at I believe
    wow. never thought those simple concepts XD
  • AshiMagariAshiMagari The internet :PMember
    edited March 2018 13.45 Karma
    The math in computer science is a little different from applied math. You don't need to necessarily understand geometry or trigonometry or even calculus to do a lot of computer science stuff.
    You just have to understand logic and algorithms for the most part. If you can break down a big problem into little math problems, then you're probably fine :D

    Computers don't do math in big steps, they do little things one at a time, just really fast xD
Sign In or Register to comment.