[NEEDS CLOSING - RESOLVED] Can't download new update!

edited December 2017 in Help Requests
If anyone else experiences this issue, the solution is to run Steam as an administrator. To do this, make sure you close all steam related things (games, Steam background services) as simply clicking the close button on Steam will not do. For Windows 10, you right click Steam on the desktop then Run As Administrator. It'll come up with a dialog, hoping for you either to click yes, or, if you're not the administrator, a password.

I'm using Steam, Windows 10 Pro.
I get this message when I click PLAY: http://prntscr.com/hoo3ws
And this appears on the side: http://prntscr.com/hoo4hp
Any help!?

Comments

• SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    edited December 2017
    It may be that the game isn't properly terminated on your machine so steam can't overwrite the exe. Check if cubic castles is still running in the background and terminate the process using task manager if it is.

If you don't know how to do this then restarting windows will accomplish the same.
  • It may be that the game isn't properly terminated on your machine so steam can't overwrite the exe. Check if cubic castles is still running in the background and terminate the process using task manager if it is.

If you don't know how to do this then restarting windows will accomplish the same.

Hello, thank you for the response. I have searched in Task Manager and nothing is running but Chrome, Steam & Skype (obviously not including system services, etc.). Is there anything else that may be the issue?
  • try rebooting...
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    I can't think of another obvious reason why the update would fail. Is anybody else having this problem? My steam version updated ok.
    We've only updated steam so far.
    We just did steam early because it's easy to update and roll back if theres problems. It's a way to test the new build.
  • Sir. PixelSir. Pixel EnglandMember
    OMy update isn’t even starting on steam.. just says preparing to launch and has beeon like that for like 10 minutes
  • We've only updated steam so far.

We just did steam early because it's easy to update and roll back if theres problems. It's a way to test the new build.

Well my computer doesn't like the build. That's no need for a roleback: just means I can't record videos & play on it. The version downloaded from cubiccastles.com is destroyed by my antivirus. And as for mobile; my iPad storage is full and my Phone screen is too small.
    LiteRary said:

We've only updated steam so far.

So everything gonna be tomorrow...
    Well, it's my computer if SirKewberth's Steam version is working fine. And there is just me experiencing this problem who's posted on the forums so far, and it says "missing file privileges" on my PC. Phones/Tablets usually don't have the best security when it comes to warning the user downloading from the game store.

OMy update isn’t even starting on steam.. just says preparing to launch and has beeon like that for like 10 minutes

Restart your PC & try SirKewberth's suggestion, Steam may've messed up:

It may be that the game isn't properly terminated on your machine so steam can't overwrite the exe. Check if cubic castles is still running in the background and terminate the process using task manager if it is.

I'd try seeing if it's running but Steam doesn't see it, and also try restarting even if it isn't running. Also, what OS are you using? I'm using Windows 10 Pro.
    As for Mac or other devices, I'd just restart or use their version of Task Manager and hope for the best.