Player anniversary. Developer appreciation for players.

BJDwareBJDware Down underMember, Retired Moderator
Myself and a few others have been talking a lot about how developers could show veteran players some appreciation in the form of an item. Something to show thanks to the players whom have stuck around Cubic castles, and something players can use to show their dedication to fellow players.

My personal thoughts was in the form of a placeable Qbee statue, where a player can walk up to it, and it will disclose the player name, and X year anniversary,
"BJDware's 3rd year Anniversary statue. Thanks for playing Cubic Castles!"
Each year, a statue could be made from a different material. Such as wood, for 1st year anniversary. Stone for second. iron, silver, gold, emerald, ruby, etc etc.

Another idea from another player was a Hat. but in my opinion, we already have enough vanity items. And last time a hat was rewarded to players, it was abused.

Just something to make long term players feel more appreciated.
And not as a once off thing. Something any player can acquire now, and in the future.

What are your thoughts? Do you like the idea of a statue? Or do you have a better idea in mind? Do you think it would be nice if developers did this for their players?

Comments

• Yeah actually 3 years of playing is long ^^ It would be nice, I agree, to be "rewarded" something :P

I like your statue idea but not the hat one :)
  • SidddSiddd UKMember, Game Moderator
    Great idea! As long as it would be made un-tradable and un-pickupable by others even with perms in both placed and dropped forms :p
  • Bluejay_1Bluejay_1 Member
    edited November 2017
    Siddd said:

Great idea! As long as it would be made un-tradable and un-pickupable by others even with perms in both placed and dropped forms :p

Like the starter realm?
    "You can't drop that, that's your statue!"
    Hmm. But how to place xD
    Well I tried lol
  • I like this idea. I, as a player who has spent over 3 years in the game, would like this kind of reward.

But how would anyone keep track of the date each one of us joined the game?
    Bluejay_1 said:

Siddd said:

Like the starter realm?
    "You can't drop that, that's your statue!"
    Hmm. But how to place xD
    Well I tried lol
    I don't think making it unable to be dropped would affect it in any way from being placed (???)
  • b3achyb3achy Member
    edited November 2017
    Funny, I was in the process of writing up a similar suggestion for a trophy/statue/award, so I'll just post mine here to keep the forums tidy...
    -----
    Would love to see some trophies/awards/rewards being offered in the game. I've seen other games do this, and it's cool to be able to display some of your achievements in your realm. These would be permanently attached to the account where they were earned, and not be (re)sell-able.

For example:

Retroactive trophies
    :
    Alpha and Beta Testers (for those who were part of original alpha and beta testing; also for those current beta testers)
    Anniversary Trophies (retroactive to every annual anniversary for those that were here through other annual events; also provided for future annual anniversaries of the start of the game)

Event trophies:

Building/Decorating Events - 1st, 2d, 3d place trophies for the various building/decorating events; also provide a 'participation' trophy for those that participated but didn't make the podium. (Same trophy for all, but 1st place is gold, 2d place is silver, 3d place is bronze, and participation would either be stone or wooden).
    Special event trophies - anyone who participates gets one (for example buying cubits during the baby sale or participating in the Easter egg hunts). If there is a podium (1st, 2d, 3d place, then also provide some sort of 'upgraded' trophies for those positions, e.g. Easter egg hunt, but probably not for the cubit baby sale).

Accomplishment trophies:
    Leveling pet trophies - get one for each level 50 pet (each trophy would be an image of the pet) (or maybe for each level 49 pet as I see most people don't want to level them to 50).
    Max Farmer trophy - have max number of crops (2500) and have harvested from the max at least once.
    Builder trophy - built x number of realms of at least x by x size
    Mining trophy - for mining x number of blocks (make it a huge amount)
    Patron trophy - for buying/earning cubits (only get once)

See the attached picture of my trophy/award wall from another game (Faunasphere - sadly, now defunct)...The cupcake with a 1 was the first anniversary of the game where everyone got the statue. The first place trophy was for a building/decorations contest/event. I don't remember why we got the other two awards, but everyone in the game at the time got them.
    -------------
    I like your idea of the trophy/statute having information when you hover over the trophy/statue/award to explain why it was awarded to that player.
  • UU Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    I would end out with around 5 of each if it is account based. But, I love this idea!
  • BJDwareBJDware Down underMember, Retired Moderator
    edited November 2017
    Haborym said:

But how would anyone keep track of the date each one of us joined the game?

That is already being tracked.
    If i am incorrect, then it could be based from the placement of the starter realm. Which is tracked and can be observed via the info bumper when placed within the starter realm.

@b3achy
    Trophies could be quite fun. Kinda along the same lines as achievements.
    I like it!
  • i like the idea
    but how about those player that already play 3 year? xD do they get iron statue
    Iron
    +∞
    edited November 2017
    Aj BaRyza said:

i like the idea
    but how about those player that already play 3 year? xD do they get iron statue
    Iron
    +∞

Of course they should.
    if this is implemented, a player whom has already played for three years should obtain 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year anniversary statues.
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    I'm not against it in principle. I do think it's a nice idea.

I have issues on the implementation side though.

How do we differentiate someone who made an account during the beta period and left, and then decided to start playing this year? Is it important that we do? What about people who play just a month every year? Is this something that would be awarded to everyone who has an older account or should you be an actual active player in the game? Are these items trade-able? Can you give your 3yr anniversary statue to a rich new player for some extra cubits? Does it lose meaning if you do?
  • UU Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator

How do we differentiate someone who made an account during the beta period and left, and then decided to start playing this year? Is it important that we do? What about people who play just a month every year? Is this something that would be awarded to everyone who has an older account or should you be an actual active player in the game? Are these items trade-able? Can you give your 3yr anniversary statue to a rich new player for some extra cubits? Does it lose meaning if you do?

I say you have to of been online for 365 day’s on that account to get the trophies, and it should be untradeable.
  • U said:

I say you have to of been online for 365 day’s on that account to get the trophies, and it should be untradeable.
    Yea, and maybe only people who are level 40+
  • My Suggestion:
    Make A Cubic Hall Of Fame Realm
    Where The Statue of A rewarded player was On there
  • U said:

I think both wills and U's suggestions are pretty good way to determine who can obtain one

and overall a good idea

Trade-able?
    Well ideally, it would be better if it could not be traded.
    But even if it wasn't, be a bit strange as per example, if Superxtreme had a statue that said "BJDware's 3rd year Anniversary statue. Thanks for playing Cubic Castles!" when players walked up to it. :P

I Play another game that does almost the same thing. I stopped playing it for several years, and returned to find anniversary items for those missing years. Essentially, those items have no use besides aesthetic value, so it did no harm to recieve them. As a player, it was still nice to receive them.. Felt like a warm welcome back, on which encouraged me.

Everyone plays games differently and at different rates. Would be a shame if there were strict regulations to receiving one. Think of the idea as a simple "thank you", not as a reward to be earned.

I Know a few players who are under level 40, yet have been playing since 2014/15.
    Just because they choose to play the game differently, shouldn't mean they are less deserving. :)

My Suggestion:
    Make A Cubic Hall Of Fame Realm
    Where The Statue of A rewarded player was On there

It's a neat idea.
    But seeing your statue paled by rows and rows of others, would kinda diminish the intention.
    But the idea could also be branched out from there. Not just player anniversary's.

• im player from 2014 .. and i think this is good :v
  • CanItBeDoneCanItBeDone The Universe; The Milky Way Galaxy; The Solar System; Earth; North AmericaMember
    Appreciation :o, I like it!
  • elemental godelemental god The netherlandsMember
    i agree with the statue idea +1

but maybe some ideas with it: the statue wont be able to be dropped nor traded like the starter deed, but only you can place it in your own realm (like the nuke you cant place it in another realm where you got perm from another player) and it can only be destroyed by you (like the bedrock)
  • +124233 maybe the statue could also have the same outfit as you did when you reached the year... no too hard to make XD
  •   Ed  Ed Game Moderator
    I love this idea and honestly I dont find it an issue that someone who hasnt actively played over the years receives a statue, its purpose is only aesthetic.
    +1
  • CanItBeDoneCanItBeDone The Universe; The Milky Way Galaxy; The Solar System; Earth; North AmericaMember
    *>Remo<* said:

+124233 maybe the statue could also have the same outfit as you did when you reached the year... no too hard to make XD

Or you can dress it up like a mannequin :o
    edited November 2017

U said:

I have to disagree on that part, why? Well like i take myself as an example.... i have been playing since january 2016 and i am still under lvl 35... or in other ways: someone can play since the beginning but can be still like lvl 20

U said:

I have to agree on that part, why? Well like i take myself as an example.... i have been playing since january 2016 and i am still under lvl 35... or in other ways: someone can play since the beginning but can be still like lvl 20
    Disagree*
  • Professional KillerProfessional Killer GreeceForum Moderator, Retired Moderator
    I actually love this idea.
    As I have been playing for more than 3 years already myself, I'd love to see something similar to that.
    As some mentioned above, it could be untradeable or something like that, and only the owner could actually pick it up and place it. So, Trusted players in a realm wouldn't have the ability to remove or take those in other words.
    Hope this gets implemented at some point.

U said:

I have to agree on that part, why? Well like i take myself as an example.... i have been playing since january 2016 and i am still under lvl 35... or in other ways: someone can play since the beginning but can be still like lvl 20
    Disagree*
    Yup ment that xD stupid typos sometimes but thnx
  • Theres not really a succes if you get it,It just shows that you play for a long time,and in my view there is no reason to brag about your playtime.
    Does this statue really convey the action of bragging? I suppose it does a little, but then again it's pretty much just a small trophy that you have. It's the same as your steam profile dictating how many hours you have logged in. Or having your name written down somewhere on the contest winners. More statistics than bragging, personally.
  • +1
    great idea, hope SirK conciders adding this!
    shouldn't be tradable, and the player should have logged on atleast 35 times per year to be concidered active and get the trophy.
    plus only one account per-device.
  • +1!
  • a stuatue would be nice or my idea is a tag like the admins,mods and beta testers except, veteran tags are completely useless and has no power whatsoever and just for display, colours would be any , your choices :)