For this discussion, I will refer to Cave Art, Fossils, Glyphs and Trilobytes as "artifacts" to make the typing easier. I have searched for this information and have not found it. Here is what I would like to know:
1. Must your pet be on the ground to discover an artifact, or may he be floating?
2. What is the area (in squares) in which the pet must be to sense the artifact (e.g. 3 squares x 3 squares)?
3. Can your pet sense an artifact if you are constantly moving or must you be relatively still (like mining a certain area)?
4. Is it possible that a mine might contain more than one artifact?
5. Is it possible that a mine might not contain any artifacts at all?
Thank you for any help you can give. Please only respond or comment if you are sure of your answer, as I am looking for verified information, not guesses or suppositions. Also if you have experience that answers these questions, you might consider adding to the Wiki as there is very little information about pets and none that I could find about artifacts.