Slime AI Bug/s

SidddSiddd UKMember, Game Moderator
So, slimes are very buggy, everyone knows this by now so I assume there will never be a fix bu every time I try and use a slime, it bugs out in one of several ways:

1) The slime will just not move... not at all...

2) The slime will spawn many blocks above it's crate(Put a slime in a glass box, it will probably SOMETIMES for no apparent reason, start appearing on the roof.

3) The slime will just straight up disappear.. More rare than the other two which in my experience WILL happen.

These three bugs combined have ruined my adventure map, maybe it has something to do with being in a relatively confined space?

Now all of these issues are very temporarily fixed by replacing the crate, though bug out again within minutes, of course, I tried asking if anyone else saw the slimes bug out and had conflicting reports... So maybe the slime is bugging out differently for everyone... Or who knows...

Comments

• Right i have my slime locked up and sometime i see it outside messing with me :(
    I did not see any glitchy slime at your adventure realm, it was amazing
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    I have seen the no motion one. It should be looked into yes. It seems to only happen on rare occasions which makes it difficult to fix.

The appearing above crate thing may be by design. I've never seen it just use up empty space, but crates are all designed to be buried under blocks so they can be hidden. So for instance if you wanted a slime to be in a field you could place a grass block over it and the slime would spawn on the grass block, not underground. Is it possible in your scenario you have something on the crate which is causing this in a way you wouldn't expect. A mushroom for instance...

I'm not sure about the disappearing slime, but players can shoot them and kill them with wands. They should reappear after a time. Might that be the case?
  • elemental godelemental god The netherlandsMember
    I am not buggy >:(

Now serius: i indeed seen this alot.... like more than a half year ago in catacombs lvl 1 there was a slime place where it was suppost to be hard but because they all froze i just walked trough (unless they suddenly lived again xD)
  • space_fetusspace_fetus Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    funny enough i had this issue while playing today and since i did a video there is footage of it :)
    i had a slime disappear on me just went poof gone!
    and also a slime got pushed up through the roof because of respawning pulse blocks
  • Mcwolf the SaneMcwolf the Sane BangladeshMember
    I've noticed, in a room with slymes, that they don't move when you FIRST enter the room. If you leave and reenter, they start moving again.
  • SidddSiddd UKMember, Game Moderator

I have seen the no motion one. It should be looked into yes. It seems to only happen on rare occasions which makes it difficult to fix.

The appearing above crate thing may be by design. I've never seen it just use up empty space, but crates are all designed to be buried under blocks so they can be hidden. So for instance if you wanted a slime to be in a field you could place a grass block over it and the slime would spawn on the grass block, not underground. Is it possible in your scenario you have something on the crate which is causing this in a way you wouldn't expect. A mushroom for instance...

I'm not sure about the disappearing slime, but players can shoot them and kill them with wands. They should reappear after a time. Might that be the case?

All my slime crates are buried under a single block, 2 of them under a steel block and 1 under a slime block, all act in the exact same way (they bug out in unison, i.e if one slime is on the roof, they will ALL be on the roof, just as they all freeze together)

funny enough i had this issue while playing today and since i did a video there is footage of it :)
    and also a slime got pushed up through the roof because of respawning pulse blocks

I wonder if it's the pulse blocks that cause the slime to appear on the roof, just strange that the other slimes (in a completely different place) also get pushed up with it, is there connecting code with slimes I wonder? Things confuse me...
  • I have added it to my queue to look at. It's unclear whether it's client or server until I reproduce the issues.
  • KokopelliKokopelli WV, USAMember
    I got a horde of slimes in my realm, and every now and then I'll see them actually jump off from each other, in like a slime ladder and they have in the past went up about 50 or so blocks then just stopped. I've also seen where they'll be hopping around but not on the ground floor, but one up, as if they were flying. But yeah, like SirKewberth said, it doesn't appear constantly. Say one day they act normal, then the next they're buggy as a 1 star motel.
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    If you guys are able to experiment and come up with scenarios where slimes definitely bug in a reproducible way then we can fix it pretty fast. The real difficulty is seeing the problem for ourselves in a way where we can look at what's happening to understand the issues involved.
  • b3achyb3achy Member
    edited August 2017

Yep, I reproduced the slime on the outside of the Mars station too (after pulse bombing the wall, I think it was coming after me, and the regeneration of the pulse block pushed him up through the glass roof). Got a picture of it on the roof (posted in Sid's adventure thread), but didn't notice if the ones in the other room joined it on the roof.

BTW, I went through part of the adventure last night, and it was much easier as the slimes weren't active. They were just little blobs sitting on the blocks in the diary room like decoration (I didn't realize they were supposed to be moving until I went back in today to do the adventure again to finish it, and boy they were making up for lost time in coming after me).
  • Mcwolf the SaneMcwolf the Sane BangladeshMember
    edited August 2017

If you guys are able to experiment and come up with scenarios where slimes definitely bug in a reproducible way then we can fix it pretty fast. The real difficulty is seeing the problem for ourselves in a way where we can look at what's happening to understand the issues involved.

I've reproduced this again and again, and did it just now. In my Pacman room with seekers all around the slime. There's the slime crate, with a block over with, with two empty spaces above that for the slime to spawn, and then glass. The slime always spawns where it's supposed to.

I've noticed, in a room with slymes, that they don't move when you FIRST enter the room. If you leave and reenter, they start moving again.

If other people enter the room, the slimes still don't move until the first person who entered the room leaves it and comes back.

• Another glitch is the flying slyme
    This happens when the slyme reaches a sign (or any item that players can read) he starts jumping and hovering in the air. The slyme also goes up while jumping.
    Tried a slime with a sign.. no issues for me.
    edited August 2017

So far I tested the freezing slime thing, not sure how much you know about that bug but it's caused by leaving the realm and re-entering from the main door. Entering from a room doesn't cause it to happen, nor does logging off and waiting for the realm to reset.

If there are people in the realm and the slimes are currently unfrozen, another player entering the main door will not cause the slimes to freeze.

If the slimes are currently frozen, it doesn't make a difference if there are other people in the realm, if the person who entered the main door and caused the slimes to freeze leaves, the slimes will unfreeze...

I hope that makes sense...
    Ok that's a good clue. It happens every time you do this? or just sometimes?

Ok that's a good clue. It happens every time you do this? or just sometimes?

every time without fail, i just updated with a little more info above ^
  • Once, I was visiting old quests, and I found this Quest, Catacombs Lv 1, as Most people know, this realm is really laggy, and most people crash after entering it, Well, so there's a part full of slimes, and when I was visiting, the slimes where On their Slime-Inna-Box And like Freezing, like a statue, so It could be caused because of lag?
  • Tried a slime with a sign.. no issues for me.

Thats just an issue for me, or it got fixed :3