Glassed item animation

BJDwareBJDware Down underMember, Retired Moderator
I Am posting this to gather the opinion of the community on an idea.
Have you noticed that glassed items maintain a constant state of animation? Just like a dropped item, they will bob up and down. Now the idea here, is to remove this animation to achieve the reduction of server lag or/and strain on devices.

Now, i do have a personal agenda for this suggestion. Within one of my rooms within my realm is over 7000 glassed feather hats. It is an issue to many visiting players. I Could separate these into smaller rooms, but i love to see a sea of feathers.
It is not an entirely common issue, but i am sure there is many other players rooms out there that could benefit.

The question i would like to put forward to you is simply this:

Comments

• +1
    This would make my future top hat collection not kill my device
    (Also some big vend shops really lag)
  • I agree with eagence. And I like this animation even if it causes lags sometimes :/
  •  gdog gdog Retired Moderator
    An option in the menu would be a good compromise as I personally love the animation. Makes storage rooms feel a bit more alive and less stale/empty.
  • QbirdQbird Member
    gdog said:

An option in the menu would be a good compromise as I personally love the animation. Makes storage rooms feel a bit more alive and less stale/empty.

+1
  • +1 my resource shop is wayyy too laggy and people can't even trade with me
  • Yea.. the animation causes lag which messes with sales...
    Get rid of it, i am greedy and want me cubits so am ready when the farm pack comes out!!! Yar!! Spend more cubits to get recubes!!!
  • I vote yes long as we have the option much like how we can have jumbled blocks or not, flashing or not :D!
  • Cut Rose to EVERYONE?
    Perfect.
    I love cut rose and how it doesnt do that horrid animation
  • I do like the animation, but I do agree there should be an option to enable/disable it.

+1
  • BJDwareBJDware Down underMember, Retired Moderator
    Yes a toggle option within the graphical settings would be perfect. Lets just leave that under the "no" poll vote option ;)
  • Agreed with toggle options xD hope they add also the one for smashing cracked stones..
  • The game has been going since 3 years
    And they barely added any graphical options
    I don't think they're gonna add any options now
  • The game has been going since 3 years
    And they barely added any graphical options

That is because:
    1. there only 3/2 devs
    2. they (prioritized*) made the other updates first
  • elemental godelemental god The netherlandsMember
    Yeah, if a item is glassed it would be the most logical if it then gets the effect the same as the valentine rose item (lying on the ground not moving)
  • PiousPious Member
    +1 to the removal of the animation when items are in glasses completely.
  • ValleyValley Member
    edited July 2017
    I think the option for non animation and animation being there would assist to more players as some still do like the animation feature :P
  • +1
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    The premise is wrong. Stopping the animation would not improve anything to do with server time or client speed.

First.. the server is not involved in the animation. It's purely a client side effect. So no worries there other than maybe loading lots of items when someone enters the realm. But removing the animation would not change that aspect of it.

Now in terms of the client being fast or slow, the main thing that determines the draw speed is the number of things you have to draw. (generally people talk about triangles in terms of game engine tech). Every floating item is basically 2 triangles. So if you have a ton of floating items then you have a ton of triangles to draw. Whether you draw them bouncing up or down or just sitting in one place doesn't change the fact that you still need to draw them. Calculating the position, in terms of engine speed is essentially free it's so fast. So making them sit still would not improve the realm speed.
  • PiousPious Member

The premise is wrong. Stopping the animation would not improve anything to do with server time or client speed.

First.. the server is not involved in the animation. It's purely a client side effect. So no worries there other than maybe loading lots of items when someone enters the realm. But removing the animation would not change that aspect of it.

Now in terms of the client being fast or slow, the main thing that determines the draw speed is the number of things you have to draw. (generally people talk about triangles in terms of game engine tech). Every floating item is basically 2 triangles. So if you have a ton of floating items then you have a ton of triangles to draw. Whether you draw them bouncing up or down or just sitting in one place doesn't change the fact that you still need to draw them. Calculating the position, in terms of engine speed is essentially free it's so fast. So making them sit still would not improve the realm speed.

Frankly, I just dislike the animation.
  • Pious said:

Frankly, I just dislike the animation.
    Same
  • Sir John GreySir John Grey Member
    edited July 2017

Suggestion to remove lag in client sir, clarify if this is possible: an options that can make alot of floating (same) item in one block area to be => summarized into a single image of item that are stacked ill add picture later.
  • Thanks Sir Kew for the explanation, my mind is blown O_O!
  • BJDwareBJDware Down underMember, Retired Moderator

Thank you for the explanation Kew.
    Is there anything that can be done from the developers end that may improve such a situation?
  • Thanks Sir Kew for the explanation, my mind is blown O_O!

Yes.. Mind Blown! This is alot of information. Kudos to learning all it and building a great game for us to spend our time in! So a huge thank you to the developers and admin for all of this..
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    BJDware said:

Is there anything that can be done from the developers end that may improve such a situation?

Well to some extent there will always be a limit assuming that you really do want to see all the hats at once. It's one of the things that makes a build whatever you want style of game difficult to optimise for. I don't think there is an obvious simple solution, but it isn't a specific problem I've really looked at too closely since, as you say, it only comes up in particular unusual scenarios.
  • elemental godelemental god The netherlandsMember

BJDware said:

Well to some extent there will always be a limit assuming that you really do want to see all the hats at once. It's one of the things that makes a build whatever you want style of game difficult to optimise for. I don't think there is an obvious simple solution, but it isn't a specific problem I've really looked at too closely since, as you say, it only comes up in particular unusual scenarios.
    (I dont really know much of coding so sorry if i suggest something very hard to do) is it maybe an option to add an option that we can adjust the looking distance? Or like in laggy realms it automatically shortens a bit (of course an option maybe to turn it off)