Censored Words.

justmegjustmeg Member
edited May 2017 in Suggestions & Comments
So the word "gay" was added to the list of censored words.

I know that this was done to prevent insults and abuses but personally I am very annoyed about this

In our language, Filipino, most of the words have "gay" in it. We can't even say the most basic words without them being censored

For example,
bigay = to give ("Even generosity gets censored" - Pyreon 2k17)
lagay = to put
bagay = things

To other players who don't speak Filipino, it seems that we're swearing a lot when we aren't

Also, Philippines is one of the countries that has the most cc players
(Ranked 3rd in Gdog's demographics. See this thread: http://forums2.cubiccastles.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/93487/#Comment_93487)

I really think something should be done to accommodate us Filipino players. Because obviously, we love this game

So I think what can be done to compromise is to add " gay" with a space before the word to the blacklisted words instead? (I don't really know if it works that way)

That will prevent players from saying "gay" as a separate word, and we can still speak our language fine

Comments

• It's not even A "Bad Word." i know that some people might use it in a bad way, but i feel this word should be Un-Censored. Some people might not be able to express themselfs, because of this word being Censored, and people can use any word in a bad way, and some of those arent censored.

So I totally Agree with you.
  • justmegjustmeg Member
    edited May 2017
    Spiridon said:

It's not even A "Bad Word." i know that some people might use it in a bad way, but i feel this word should be Un-Censored. Some people might not be able to express themselfs, because of this word being Censored, and people can use any word in a bad way, and some of those arent censored.

So I totally Agree with you.

Yeah exactly, was gonna mention this too but I didn't know how to word it properly. Thanks Spiridon ^^

Also there's an ice cream called Golden Gaytime. Just putting it out there xd
  •  gdog gdog Retired Moderator
    Its not as simple as just adding a space.
    They could add those 3 words you mentioned to the good words list which would mean they wouldn't be censored.
    Its difficult tho. There are 100s of languages and going through every single variation of words in every language is not feasible with the size of the dev team.
    Yes gay inherently isn't a bad word, but the end of the day it is a sexual orientation.
    Any stance on what partner you prefer shouldn't be talked about in a game with such a young audience.
    It is also used widely as a derogatory term for homosexual people.
    Now I'm all for freedom of speech but that does not apply to private companies which cc is. So it is up to them.
    Think of a situation where a mother is watching over their young child as they play.
    That word gets used in chat in any context whether it be positive or negative it's going to look bad on the game. "I don't want my son/daughter to be reading that they are only 7 years old" would be an easy way to look at it being an issue.
  • enza widowenza widow Member
    edited May 2017
    Basically, i understand how you feel... In some language, 'ass' is so usefull...
  • PerfctPerfct Member
    edited May 2017
    gdog said:

Its not as simple as just adding a space.
    They could add those 3 words you mentioned to the good words list which would mean they wouldn't be censored.
    Its difficult tho. There are 100s of languages and going through every single variation of words in every language is not feasible with the size of the dev team.
    Yes gay inherently isn't a bad word, but the end of the day it is a sexual orientation.
    Any stance on what partner you prefer shouldn't be talked about in a game with such a young audience.
    It is also used widely as a derogatory term for homosexual people.
    Now I'm all for freedom of speech but that does not apply to private companies which cc is. So it is up to them.
    Think of a situation where a mother is watching over their young child as they play.
    That word gets used in chat in any context whether it be positive or negative it's going to look bad on the game. "I don't want my son/daughter to be reading that they are only 7 years old" would be an easy way to look at it being an issue.

If your logic is that 'we're banning gay because it's a sexual orientation,' then why is straight not banned too? In 2016, around 1 in 5 people in the United States considered themselves part of the LGBT community. If this statistic is correct, than it's statistically impossible for a given seven year old to have not encountered one of these people.
    Gay people exist.
    Gay people will always exist.
    People will (probably) always use gay as an insult.
    What's so bad about being different that the term for an uncommon sexuality has to be censored in a game? If the issue is people using it as an insult, why give a powerless word the power to inflict harm?
    Regardless to Cubic Castles's stance on sexual orientation and the acceptance of gay people, if the word 'gay' is going to be banned I suggest that the word 'straight' be banned along with it (although I believe neither should be censored as neither words are insults).
  • justmegjustmeg Member
    gdog said:

The parent/guardian could easily use the parental settings in-game to monitor their child
    After all you'd have to be 13 years old to play without supervision. I think there's already some level of maturity coming from people this age.
    Also there's words that are worse that still get past the censor system

• enza widowenza widow Member
    edited May 2017
    Gdog, I'm not sure, when you say this, that you really realize what parents of other language can read.
    For exemple, any idea of what 'Bite' means in french? I guess you dont^^
  • NerryNerry Member

Gdog, I'm not sure, when you say this, that you really realize what parents of other language can read.
    Any idea of what 'Bite' means in french? I guess you dont^^

Just translated it.
    gg
  • ThuggieThuggie Member

Basically, i understand how you feel... In some language, 'ass' is so usefull...

In french it is. so we put a dot after the first s. I unepderstand why "ass" is banned, but not gay. And censoring is easely abused when you Put a space or a dot in your word.
    edited May 2017
    Look i'm left leaning politically and an atheist so i am all for the lgbt community.
    My logic was not to ban the word gay because its a sexual orientation.
    Any type of sexual activity based conversation will get you banned in this game.
    Not just being gay, so don't twist this as anti-gay.
    But saying stuff like the word straight should be banned is stupid.
    You say that 20% of people are gay which is true, but a 7 year old will not know that by meeting them and what is entailed or what activities it involves.
    And yeah its a problem in society as a whole not just this game. Gay is still used as a derogatory term. I wish it wasn't but that is the world we live in.
    I didn't make these rules btw. I just have to follow them and are speculating on the reasons why.
    I bet what really happened when the good and bad words list was created is that the admins just chose the words off of some database. There was probably little to no thought that went into it.
    Or it could be totally out of their hands, maybe to get there game certified on apple they have to adhere to certain rules on language.
    You have to ask them.
    @SirKewberth @CosmicCow
  • NerryNerry Member
    I agree with gdoggo tho.
    Saying straight shouldn't get you banned, because straight means a lot of things.
    Like...
    straight
    strāt/Submit
    adjective
    extending or moving uniformly in one direction only; without a curve or bend.
    "a long, straight road"
    synonyms: unswerving, undeviating, linear, as straight as an arrow, uncurving, unbending
    "a long, straight road"
    properly positioned so as to be level, upright, or symmetrical.
    "he made sure his tie was straight"
    synonyms: level, even, in line, aligned, square; More
    adverb
    in a straight line; directly.
    "he was gazing straight at her"
    synonyms: right, directly, squarely, full; More
    in or into a level, even, or upright position.
    "he pulled his clothes straight"
  • So what's the point of this?....
  • AshiMagariAshiMagari The internet :PMember
    Pretty sure there was already a discussion about this in which Cosmic Cow agreed to uncensor it for an experimental period, which to my knowledge has not happened yet. Good to know people can still make empty promises, I guess.

I love this game, I really do. But recently, it has continued to frustrate and disappoint me to no end.
    edited May 2017

Pretty sure there was already a discussion about this in which Cosmic Cow agreed to uncensor it for an experimental period, which to my knowledge has not happened yet. Good to know people can still make empty promises, I guess.

I love this game, I really do. But recently, it has continued to frustrate and disappoint me to no end.

You are right. He said this in november 2016
    "The reason it was censored had nothing to do with gay people. The problem is the word "gay" is often used in a derogatory/insulting/attacking manner, and some people found that offensive. So either we allow players to use it as an insult/attack, which can be seen as offensive, or we hide the word, which, could also be construed as offensive. But, we'll remove it from the list on the next update and see how it goes. It could go back to censored if people use it extensively to attack or bully though."

Be aware though that this was a highly development busy time of the year. Cars, Thanks giving and Christmas. So maybe it was overlooked.
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    Yeah I think gdog is correct here. The quote he posted is still true. People were using the word to bully other players so it was added after complaints. So this is kind of a situation where if we leave it in it gets abused, and if we censor it, it seems to reflect some judgement that we're not actually making.

On the whole I tend to agree that it's not a bad word. This is about context. While there may be problems with it being abused, the same could be said about other otherwise innocent words. There is perhaps a slight element of maturity to the idea, and I do think Cubic is not a place for mature discussions about any and all topics, but that being said I have removed it from the list, and that should be reflected in a future update.
  • edited May 2017
    I am so happy that the word is going to be finally removed.

What a wonderful day it is ^_^

Here is the previous topic on the word Gay and what Gdog is referring to. Not that it is relevant see it for this discussion is now a moot point but you know :P.
    http://forums2.cubiccastles.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/72659/#Comment_72659
  • The word Hitchcock is also a banned word in game I was watching the birds by Alfred Hitchcock once and was telling my friend how cool the movie was and so it appears as Alfred hitch **** I honestly find that very weord
    edited May 2017
    Its because Hitchcock is a name and not a word, so its not on the good words list.
    Any word with part of it using a word from the bad words list will get censored unless its on the good woods list.
  • gdog said:

Its because Hitchcock is a name and not a word, so its not on the good words list.
    Any word with part of it using a word from the bad words list will get censored unless its on the good woods list.

Ah
  • GollumGollum South AfricaMember, Retired Moderator
    Perfct said:

Gay people exist.
    Gay people will always exist.

With that logic it could be said that
    "Swear words exist, swear words will always exist"
    So why not un-ban them too

• Swear words are not human to try to equalize words that by defualt are derogatory with a diverse group of people is uneducated thinking. The word Gay is first and forermost a summarizing word to give label in a non derogatory fashion
    In perfcts statement she is implying that the variable of homosexuality is not going to diminish and to deny its first and foremost function is not right.
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    I think this conversation may be worth having on a political forum somewhere but we've now left the territory of cc.
This discussion has been closed.