This new forums...

PEgamingPEgaming Member
edited February 2016 in General Chat
I don't know what to say. I know that the devs worked very hard on this, but this new forums... looks a bit... unprofessional. The old forums looked a lot more forums like and eye appealing, and plus, we got almost all the features available for coding. Meanwhile, here, no pictures, no videos, no basic forums stuff. In fact, we do not even have post count, let alone, signatures! This whole place looks like a place where you just post a thread and everyone comments, kind of like Youtube. I really hope we switch the forums soon, because I feel like these forums are too much like Muut, the first kind forums we used, and didn’t Horus say that we “Outgrew” Muut?

Edit: I just noticed, my computer is having a laggier time on these forums than the old forums.

Comments

• Lucas The SpiderLucas The Spider U.K, England Member
    edited February 2016
    Well, cut Horus some slack. We can see he has been coding/editing this for over a week. He might not be done, complaining isn't going to get anything fixed. Maybe he wanted to get the forums up as soon as possible. And we're going to have too wait for extra features.

Also, forums isn't about "I got more posts then you" - So you may have 1000 more posts! So? Posts our nothing. Also, I think the "Krama" w/e it's called :( basically replaces posts. We get points for posts, more points more posts.

Does a forum need to be "eye appealing" not really, who spend all there time playing a game just cause the forums looks pretty. This basic layout is the kind of the same as most forums.

1 last thing, go to your profile. Left hand side you have how many threads, and how many comments you have done.
  • I just want the basic forums features. You do have some points, and as I said, I know that the devs have worked hard on this, and I do NOT care about this so called post count. I just accumulated my post count in the previous forums over time. I also know that extra features are coming, and I can't wait.

I was excited for the new forums, but I was a bit disappointed by how it looked and the features.
    I was hating on this forums, exactly the same as PE. But then I saw some posts from Horus, and saw how long he has been working on this forums. I know if there's problems he'll fix them. What goods me complaining going to get? Bans, warnings, more hate by mod/admins I am sitting this one out.
  • Truth is, I really appreciate the work Horus put into this, and I can tell that he tried, but I hope that the forums will look better in the future. I really do.
    The one thing he does need to try sort first is the white background. I cannot stand it. And nor can anyone else. It's off putting.
  • I'm actually fine with the background. At least my classmates won't annoy me about it anymore.
    *slaps on the hand* you should be learning not reading forums. Bad PE!
  • Sir. PixelSir. Pixel EnglandMember
    You can add images / videos

Images = the little image icon in the top left of a reply
    Video = post the URL , automatic converts into video

- Pixel
  • HorusHorus EnglandMember, Forum Moderator, Retired Moderator
    edited February 2016
    The aim of this forums was simplicity. The dark theme didn't really fit a child-friendly game, and I know it's hard to switch, but it'll be easier as time passes by.

Now, as for the features and forum design, I've put as many options as I thought was suitable for kids to use. Advanced html or eye seizure inducing colours just can't be present, kids will be confused and put-off by the ugly and overwhelming amount of boxes to fill out.

When they'll want to post a reply, they won't have to scan through all the options, emotes, formatting, and anything, they'll just see a box to write in and click "post comment". It was even simplified to the point of automatically making video embeds as you paste a youtube link.

The forums however, still contains some advanced features for older audience to use. You can upload pictures using the button, use some basic formatting like bold text, font size, and spoilers as mentioned in another thread. Signatures will never be added, due to the fact that they're not needed. This forums is aimed to provide a quick and easy communication method for the community, and not a site for people to show off their individuality and popularity.

Also, post count is still in, but is split into two. Discussions - your threads, and Comments - your posts. You can see both on your profile. To merge them all together, a karma system was added. This will act as your overall "reputation" value, and will be affected by other means like "likes" in the future.

Everything is still being improved and a lot can change though!

Hi Horus,

I know the code for Spoiler. What is it for bold text and font text? Thanks.
  • CortanaCortana UnknownMember, Retired Moderator
    for text like this use < i> < /i > without spaces
    for this one use < b > < /b >
    for text size < font size ="number"> < /font>
    Thanks, I was doing [i] :D :)
  • CortanaCortana UnknownMember, Retired Moderator
    edited February 2016

Thanks, I was doing [i] :D :)

Codes with [ ] are HTML codes, those don't work here besides spoilers. Only some basic CSS coding such as the ones above work.
    edited February 2016
    Ah. Thanks for explaining :p
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I was actually adding polls already, it's in :)
  • PEgamingPEgaming Member
    edited February 2016
    Horus, I have a few requests.
    Is it possible to unlock the old forums so we could copy the special coding to move to the new forums?
    And also, can you please bring back all this html stuff, but make it so that people actually could access it as easy as it is for kids to access?
    You see, most forums have plenty of young children, but they are not confused with all these features. Instead, they just try their best to learn what they are about. It helps children understand basic Html.
    By the way, I really depended on Servimg to send images to other forums! It could be achieved through pms, of course.
    1. All the coding on the old forums is BBCode and won't work here.

2. I had many, many issues with people breaking the forums with their HTML codes, making jumpscares with sounds etc, etc. For safety purposes, I cannot enable it.

3. There's a thread about it here - http://forums2.cubiccastles.com/index.php?p=/discussion/125/tips-and-tricks-for-text-editing#latest

4. Forums now stores all the images on our webserver, and it's much faster than embedding a picture from an external site.
  • And we just switched to the new forums, I hope there's lots of new content coming :)
  • I love the new forums, it's actually much more user-friendly. I just like how it's so simple yet efficient >3>