A new type of 'scam .-.

IMG_0633
So recently since the vend update, hollas saying 'buy this for ___ and then you can buy (rarer item) for the same price'
basically they put like a common hat in a vend and set it to an overpriced price. then they put a rare item that is over the set price after it. it's usually 5+ of the overpriced items before the rare.
and sometimes they will set it to a higher price when the rare item gets there.

In the pictures above, Cubic Chrome had some stuff in a vend, then when it got to santa beard, he set it to 1.6K.

imo this is a dishonest way of making cubits and should be banned.

Comments

• It's similar to people buying very cheap and selling over priced so the good thing to do is just don't buy the items
  • UU Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    I don't see how this is a scam, it's their choice to buy the cheaper item first.
  • Nerve said:

I don't see how this is a scam, it's their choice to buy the cheaper item first.

it's not a scam exactly, but it really seems dishonest how people push people to purchase the cheaper item first and then in some cases raise the price of the rare item, or even just remove it.

• AshiMagariAshiMagari The internet :PMember
    Ahhh, the importance of reading pop-ups.

Reading those pop-ups are guaranteed to save you from Cash Register and Vending Machine "scams". I know words can be daunting, but READ READ READ.
  • MisticallMisticall Member
    edited February 2017

Reading those pop-ups are guaranteed to save you from Cash Register and Vending Machine "scams". I know words can be daunting, but READ READ READ.

Nonono x-x what I mean is by putting the rare item last they kind of push people to buy the overpriced commons. The 'scam' part is when they remove the rare item/make the price higher.
  • I know your point @Misticall they are tricking the people by putting pressure to buy the common items for overpriced and buy the rare item cheap, and the trick is there is they will change the price when the rare is left.
  • zpinolzpinol MéxicoMember
    Read before accept.
    edited February 2017
    Misticall said:

Nonono x-x what I mean is by putting the rare item last they kind of push people to buy the overpriced commons. The 'scam' part is when they remove the rare item/make the price higher.
    See here's the thing though. Why do people fall for this trick? Not because they want the common item for a little bit more expensive. Because they want the rare item for incredibly cheap prices. And in most cases, they want the rare for cheap because they plan to sell it for higher.

If you are going to call this an unfair business practice, then you should also call what you are doing an unfair business practice.

EDIT: This is not me justifying either of these things. This is me saying that no one should do this, and no one should fall for it because they lack morals :)
  • w.c. fields once said "you can't cheat an honest man." meaning most scam n con artists prey upon the greed/dishonesty of those they are scamming. sorry to say this, but many of the scams i see in cc are of this nature, ppl getting played because a scammer is playing the scammee's own greed. if it looks too good to be true, it probably is...
  • Lucas The SpiderLucas The Spider U.K, England Member

It's similar to people buying very cheap and selling over priced so the good thing to do is just don't buy the items

Lol - buying low and selling high is one of the most common ways of earning Cubits. It is not bad. Even people irl make a living of this method.
  • in a way it's trickery but you arent being forced to buy it or anything
  • Sir John GreySir John Grey Member
    edited February 2017
    If you guys or kids(either in mind or heart) forgot, let me recall you what is the definition of scam.
    Scam (noun)
    -a dishonest scheme; a fraud.
    -a fraudulent or deceptive act or operation
    -deceive, defraud
    -a dishonest way to make money by deceiving people
    -to get (something, such as money) by deceiving someone
    -to deceive and take money from (someone)

It's similar to people buying very cheap and selling over priced so the good thing to do is just don't buy the items

Lol - buying low and selling high is one of the most common ways of earning Cubits. It is not bad. Even people irl make a living of this method.
    You don't got the point so I will provide an example for you.

Qbee1: Hey do you sell your krampus?
    Qbee2: Yeah but how much do they cost?
    Qbee1: It is around 100k
    Qbee2: Wow that's alot of cubits! :O Sure
    *Item bought for 100k*
    (A little while later)

Qbee3: I've been searching for hours to buy a krampus. I really want one.
    Qbee1: You buy my krampus?
    Qbee3: Yeah, how much is it?
    Qbee1: 800k
    Qbee3: Is it that really expensive?
    Qbee1: Yes. 800k or no.
    Qbee3: Ok fine.
    *Item sold for 800k*

Oh well Qbee1 really earn cubits there. So you guys call it business. Even though he tricked the players of the item's real price.

in a way it's trickery but you arent being forced to buy it or anything

Indeed.
  • It's similar to people buying very cheap and selling over priced so the good thing to do is just don't buy the items

*Item bought for 100k*
    (A little while later)

*Item sold for 800k*

Oh well Qbee1 really earn cubits there. So you guys call it business. Even though he tricked the players of the item's real price.

Indeed.
    yeah if you are buying or selling stuff, always check the prices and don't drop in lobbies xD, sorry getting a bit off topic

*Item bought for 100k*
    (A little while later)

*Item sold for 800k*

Indeed.
    yeah if you are buying or selling stuff, always check the prices and don't drop in lobbies xD, sorry getting a bit off topic
    I think peeps here forgot what is a scam.
    That's past 'buy low, sell high' that's tricking and being rude. When it comes to people selling, for example needing c for packs, it's their own fault.

If someone said "what's Kramp worth" and got told 100k that's trickery. If someone said, I'll sell Kramps 100k cause I need Cubits quick that's not trickery, the player accepted.

*Item bought for 100k*
    (A little while later)

*Item sold for 800k*

Indeed.
    I think peeps here forgot what is a scam.
    xD sorry, bored ingame atm so i'm kinda posting anywhere i can on forums till cars come out
    Seems like my comment might have confused some people ._.

I was not bashing the "buy low, sell high" method. There is nothing wrong with that method if you do it fairly, and I did not mean to imply that anyone who uses this method is a bad person.

I was commenting on the types of people who would generally fall victim to this type of scam. In situations like this, it's important to analyze the pros and cons. If a super cheap rare seems to good to be true, there is probably something under the surface. However, sometimes greed can blind people, and in a blind rush to get something super cheap, they overlook the negative aspects.

In this case, people are falling victim to their greed. ALWAYS be hyper-analytical about transactions, especially if you suspect something could be dirty.
    edited February 2017

That's past 'buy low, sell high' that's tricking and being rude. When it comes to people selling, for example needing c for packs, it's their own fault.

If someone said "what's Kramp worth" and got told 100k that's trickery. If someone said, I'll sell Kramps 100k cause I need Cubits quick that's not trickery, the player accepted.

You will never get my point if you keep going with your ignorance. And you can't say to me that my example above doesn't happen ingame because I witness and heard stories from people those kind of events. Besides I am just saying that the fraud above (the thread itself) is similar to those events. Which can be avoided by not buying it. I had no doubt why this game has still alot of people getting scammed.

Seems like my comment might have confused some people ._.

I was not bashing the "buy low, sell high" method. There is nothing wrong with that method if you do it fairly, and I did not mean to imply that anyone who uses this method is a bad person.

I was commenting on the types of people who would generally fall victim to this type of scam. In situations like this, it's important to analyze the pros and cons. If a super cheap rare seems to good to be true, there is probably something under the surface. However, sometimes greed can blind people, and in a blind rush to get something super cheap, they overlook the negative aspects.

In this case, people are falling victim to their greed. ALWAYS be hyper-analytical about transactions, especially if you suspect something could be dirty.

Well said. I ain't bashing it too fyi Mr. Penguin I'm just stating the fact that it is a thing that you can avoid by saying "no".

You will never get my point if you keep going with your ignorance. And you can't say to me that my example above doesn't happen ingame because I witness and heard stories from people those kind of events. Besides I am just saying that the fraud above (the thread itself) is similar to those events. Which can be avoided by not buying it. I had no doubt why this game has still alot of people getting scammed.
    Except he did get your point. He never said your situation never happens. In fact, I have seen it happen. He was saying that your situation is not the typical buy-low-sell-high situation. Respectable shop owners know how to be polite with their buying and selling, and know to make sure their sellers are informed. In the situation Peng described, the seller KNEW the true value of their item and CHOSE to sell it for lower anyway. In the situation you described, the seller DID NOT KNOW the true value of their item and the buyer TOOK ADVANTAGE of their misinformation. That apparently subtle change makes the two situations vastly different.

Just because he disagrees or has an opinion of his own does not mean he didn't read or understand yours.
    Dude, just stop arguing. We all know your point... It's an online games, stuff happens get over it.

The biggest thing in this game to earn Cubits is buy luow sell high. People ALWAYS absuse things. but offering 100k for a Kramp is scamming not buy low sell high - imo. But, you keep arguing to yourself :) whatever makes you feel happy
    edited February 2017

Except he did get your point. He never said your situation never happens. In fact, I have seen it happen. He was saying that your situation is not the typical buy-low-sell-high situation. Respectable shop owners know how to be polite with their buying and selling, and know to make sure their sellers are informed. In the situation Peng described, the seller KNEW the true value of their item and CHOSE to sell it for lower anyway. In the situation you described, the seller DID NOT KNOW the true value of their item and the buyer TOOK ADVANTAGE of their misinformation. That apparently subtle change makes the two situations vastly different.

Just because he disagrees or has an opinion of his own does not mean he didn't read or understand yours.
    Ho I stated "buying very cheap and selling over priced." Which as you can see there's an adverb in it that is most likely he didn't notice. or maybe he is sleeping in his english class. xD

Dude, just stop arguing. We all know your point... It's an online games, stuff happens get over it.

The biggest thing in this game to earn Cubits is buy luow sell high. People ALWAYS absuse things. but offering 100k for a Kramp is scamming not buy low sell high - imo. But, you keep arguing to yourself :) whatever makes you feel happy

There's a BIG difference with "buy low sell high" and "buy VERY cheap and sell VERY high" and I'm not arguing with my self :P I'm just stating statements :) ho and btw they should rename this game #CubicShopping :D
  • Ahhh, the importance of reading pop-ups.

Even in trades, I bought pink pants for 12k last time I didn't pay attention ....