Awareness VS Scams

BJDwareBJDware Down underMember, Retired Moderator
edited July 2017 in Community
NOTE: This topic is not for reporting scams/thefts, please do so within this topic:
Scam Reports. Click here.

Every MMO out there has a minority who likes to thieve and trick players out of possessions. The developers of Cosmic Cow Games have done and do a lot for the players by reducing the risks. But it can be quite impossible to remove all the risks altogether. The first line of defence always comes from each player, and the biggest hurdle is awareness and lack of caution.

Here are some guidelines to follow:

• Always use a cash register to trade/purchase items. Or Vending machines to purchase items.
    If neither are available, typing "/Trade" within the chat window allows players within the same room, to trade up to two items within a safe trading window.
  • Always trade within the available slots of a cash register. Try to split up trades that exceed the available slots maintaining equal value, or avoid such trades.
  • Always take your time with trades and triple check what is offered. This can be done by selecting items within the trade window ( this displays an items title ), then checking once again via the confirmation window. Never rush a trade and always check.
  • Be wary of purchasing deeds. Used deeds can only be placed and used by the original owners. And some may not be what they appear to be at all.
  • Avoid purchasing placed rooms. Original owners to a room can always fully access the room.
  • Never pay for services or items via a tip piggy. Tip pigs are designed for donations, not payments. Placing cubits within a pig, is an act of donation not payment.
  • Avoid drop trades. Dropping items in exchange for items or services is not a safe practice.
  • Do not drop items that you do not wish to lose. Dropping items within realms/rooms that are not your own, or within realms/rooms that others have permissions within, puts you at risk of losing said item('s). Either by theft or losing permission to re-obtain them.

This also includes: Lending/borrowing/loaning items and cubits.
  • Be wary of paying for promised services and be wary of performing services that others promise payment for.

eg.
    Player made games/events that require payment or require payment with the promise of potential reward.
  • Be wary of giving out build permissions within realms/rooms that you do not want griefed or items stolen from. Try to avoid giving out perms.
  • Be careful of CO-OP Build Block and Vend Scamming.
    Click here for more Information.

• Be wary if a player claims to be Cubic castles staff ( admin/developer/moderator), ask to see their staff badge. Staff will not refuse in such an instance.
    Red name= Admin/developer. Blue name= Moderator. No colored name, not staff.
    Examples shown here:
    Click here for more Information upon Staff badges.

CC Staff will never demand nor threaten for perm.
    CC Staff will never demand nor threaten for items.
    CC Staff will never demand,ask nor threaten for account details.

• Never give out your account details to players, websites or third party programs.
  • Avoid downloading third party programs that claim to be in relation to Cubic castles. Such programs may contain keyloggers etc that steals information such as account details.
  • Last but not least: Do or do not do any of the above at your own risk.

Extra's things to take note of:

-----

Every player can do their part for the community as well, by raising such awareness! Have fun, play safe, be smart, be cautious, be aware and make others aware of the risks!

If you feel that i have missed some points, feel free to make me aware of them.
Regards, BJDaware.
#BeAware

-----

Comments

• CardioGodCardioGod Member
    edited March 2016
    Good, thread. We have always needed this =)
    Btw you put BJDaware.
  • BJDwareBJDware Down underMember, Retired Moderator
    Seems i missed one about CC staff. Added to the list.
  • MoxxiechuMoxxiechu Prolly some ocean (FL.)Member
    edited March 2016
    +1.
    Props to you.

#ScamAwarenessMonth

"...aWARE." :P
  • I hope players understand this
  • Thank you BDJ!
  • Wow that was a long list. Also why is the a bolded at the end?
  • scorto7scorto7 BelgiumRetired Moderator
    edited March 2016
    BJD aware - as in awareness instead of his correct name BJDware
  • I have to admit, this is the best reminder someone has done- well said aWare!:)
  • Did u say minority? Just kidding? Good post
  • I hope more people can come and use this, because if everyone did, scamming wouldn't exist anymore!
  • CanItBeDoneCanItBeDone The Universe; The Milky Way Galaxy; The Solar System; Earth; North AmericaMember

I hope more people can come and use this, because if everyone did, scamming wouldn't exist anymore!

Not entirely true, our scammer friends always find a way.
    edited March 2016
    A Scam can always be avoided regardless, just by erring on the side of caution and practicing some patience.
  • BJDware said:

A Scam can always be avoided regardless, just by erring on the side of caution and practicing some patience.

To simplify what he just said, use common sense and scammers will be extinct.
    edited May 2016
    New section added by @Wurfino
    Further information to be added in the future.

#BeAware
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • #Elfie#Elfie Member
    Another big scam everyone should avoid is the "pet scam" most people know it, some don't but this pet scam is when lets say I entered 50k for a level 49 elf pet. I check the item to make sure its level 49. It is, then he switches it without me knowing. I hit " accept" and He does to... I don't read it sometimes so I check my inventory. It is level 1. Always double check it is the item you wanted, if it isn't then don't accept it, hit the no button.
  • Cubic MomCubic Mom Retired Moderator
    Well done BJD...now all the players on the forums know how to be safe! I only wish more players used the forums and could read this. I would really love to see this posted in Cubic Town Center or somewhere that everyone could read it, because a lot of the players I speak with can't/won't get on the forums.
  • Hey BJDaware I Have 1 Thing I Cant Understand Is That Why Do Players Even Scam?
  • iKONICiKONIC Member

Hey BJDaware I Have 1 Thing I Cant Understand Is That Why Do Players Even Scam?

It is either:
    1. Their greed makes them do scams and stuff
    2. They're having problems in life and is escaping reality
    3. They just do it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hey BJDaware I Have 1 Thing I Cant Understand Is That Why Do Players Even Scam?

It is either:
    1. Their greed makes them do scams and stuff
    2. They're having problems in life and is escaping reality
    3. They just do it.
    The Number 2 Is..............
    Wurfino said:

People who scam are just lazy to get items/cubits for themselves. or they just think scamming will make you rich in no time, which is true it can make you gain cubits, but it is ILLEGAL and disgraceful to do. They're greedy.
    Ooh Ok
  • I've done the trust test with one of my friends :P
    I banned him... And then gave the item back :D
  • CroubictCroubict Member
    edited June 2016

Many things affect the player to scam somebody items, including:
    -Cubit crisis
    -Greed
    -Want To get what they want by quickly (Usually this happens to players who are lazy)
    -Just for fun
    -There is a problem in real life and taking it into the game, one of them is a scam
    -Etc.
  • that is nice and i make one little :DDDDDDD
  • #Elfie#Elfie Member

Well... People do it.. Because..

1. Too lazy to do things themselves..
    2. They are just overtaken by greed..
    3. I know this for a fact, when people are told not to do something, they have a little rebellion inside of them... So they disobey.

• #Elfie said:

Well... People do it.. Because..

1. Too lazy to do things themselves..
    2. They are just overtaken by greed..
    3. I know this for a fact, when people are told not to do something, they have a little rebellion inside of them... So they disobey.

Ikr:(
  • When did scamming begin?
  • #Elfie#Elfie Member
    edited August 2016
    Ever since.... Possibly around when the game started... I can see through the first updates-- If there is a "Report button" in the updates then, yeah! I think..

EDIT: Actually, Cash regs probaly didnt exist around that time.. Maybe around when Angel wings came??...
  • Um @BJDware might wanna update it now, cus of the vending machines
  • #BeAware
This discussion has been closed.