Warnings

GanondalfGanondalf Member
edited June 2021 in Suggestions & Comments
Any time someone's scammed, they take to hollas, or the forums so they can report the crimes done to them. And more often than not, when they're told to officially report the perpetrator using the "Report Abuse" button right on the pause menu, they will say that it doesn't work.

This is understandable, the mods can't act without evidence and some witnesses so the scammers get away. But that's not all the time. To put it very simply, my suggestion is that every time a scammer is banned, a System message should be sent out that says the scammer has been banned, or a trash-mouth muted. This is to show that action is taken upon scammers/trash-mouths.

I dunno if this will work much, but I've seen some games (or more specifically just one) do this, but the community there is so toxic it would curdle curdled milk. It's just something I think might, y'know, scare some kids straight. But really, kids these days are so frickin' cunning, man, they scare me straight so I dunno.

Thanks.

Comments

• MEEPYZMEEPYZ Member
    +1, maybe a list with player names who have been banned or muted with the time they were on the Report Abuse button thing.
  • +1
  • I'm pretty in the middle with this, because if you got muted, and your name was on the list. your setting it up so that person gets clowned on or harrassed for something minor like cussing. and the ban really has to do with nobody else but the person who got banned and the victim, not anyone else business, but it could be used for could so idk
  • UU Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    *insert rant about public shaming that happens on every one of these suggestions*
  • I'm pretty in the middle with this, because if you got muted, and your name was on the list. your setting it up so that person gets clowned on or harrassed for something minor like cussing. and the ban really has to do with nobody else but the person who got banned and the victim, not anyone else business, but it could be used for could so idk

U said:

*insert rant about public shaming that happens on every one of these suggestions*

It would discourage kids with the potential to say something about our moms to keep it to themselves. A motive to keep off that brilliant list MEEPYZ suggested +1.
  • Ganondalf said:

I'm pretty in the middle with this, because if you got muted, and your name was on the list. your setting it up so that person gets clowned on or harrassed for something minor like cussing. and the ban really has to do with nobody else but the person who got banned and the victim, not anyone else business, but it could be used for could so idk

U said:

It would discourage kids with the potential to say something about our moms to keep it to themselves. A motive to keep off that brilliant list MEEPYZ suggested +1.
    hmm I guess that makes sense +1
  • WhimsicalFireflyWhimsicalFirefly Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    "I've seen some games (or more specifically just one) do this, but the community there is so toxic it would curdle curdled milk"
    I think this quote from the op shows that it probably wouldn't make much difference. People are warned, muted and banned for various reasons and it's not always something that the community needs or cares to know about. Does everyone really need to know that johnny123 was muted for spamming? Does everyone need to know that pizzaface43578 was warned for trashing someone's realm with warp food? or that someone had multiple warnings for different things and got banned?

I think having a broadcast message or a list that shows all of the mutes, warnings and bans would turn the global chat into a parade full of drama. People would be doing hollas wanting to know why or wanting to dispute the reason their friend was muted or banned or just wanting to continue a very public conversation about it to further the awareness of a scammer. There are many days that we take a lot of action against players and if this was done in global broadcasts it would be more like spam than informational (which would make your hollas less effective). There are also the times when issues could arise because people report something and never see a message announcing what action was taken or disagree with how their report was handled. And let's not forget the people that want to become "famous" so they do intentional things to get muted or warned just so they can get their name on the board (for some, bad publicity is better than no publicity). I could go on and on with reasons that I think this is a bad idea but I'll stop here for now. I think from a mods perspective, knowing how the system works, this could cause a lot of trouble for the mods and admins and a lot of drama within the game.
    U said:

I said all of that and never mentioned the issue of public shaming ;)
  • "I've seen some games (or more specifically just one) do this, but the community there is so toxic it would curdle curdled milk"
    I think this quote from the op shows that it probably wouldn't make much difference. People are warned, muted and banned for various reasons and it's not always something that the community needs or cares to know about. Does everyone really need to know that johnny123 was muted for spamming? Does everyone need to know that pizzaface43578 was warned for trashing someone's realm with warp food? or that someone had multiple warnings for different things and got banned?

I think having a broadcast message or a list that shows all of the mutes, warnings and bans would turn the global chat into a parade full of drama. People would be doing hollas wanting to know why or wanting to dispute the reason their friend was muted or banned or just wanting to continue a very public conversation about it to further the awareness of a scammer. There are many days that we take a lot of action against players and if this was done in global broadcasts it would be more like spam than informational (which would make your hollas less effective). There are also the times when issues could arise because people report something and never see a message announcing what action was taken or disagree with how their report was handled. And let's not forget the people that want to become "famous" so they do intentional things to get muted or warned just so they can get their name on the board (for some, bad publicity is better than no publicity). I could go on and on with reasons that I think this is a bad idea but I'll stop here for now. I think from a mods perspective, knowing how the system works, this could cause a lot of trouble for the mods and admins and a lot of drama within the game.

These are good points, but you have to admit that this would do a little bit of good, if not repair the entire game. It's childish, and will in turn get childish reactions. And those people on the hollas who would complain, they could be told to refrain from doing so and if they didn't they could join their friends on that list. I mean, if it got johnny123 to stop spamming and pizzaface43578 from trashing realms, I think it's an acceptable measure.

U said:

good thing he mentioned it before you did
  • Alv'Alv' Member

"I've seen some games (or more specifically just one) do this, but the community there is so toxic it would curdle curdled milk"

U said:

Wait srsly? Trashing someone's realm with bunch of warp foods is illegal?
  • U said:

To resolve public shaming, instead of system warning declaring to everyone of who got banned today:
    It is much better that the [reporter] receive feedbacks for "meaningful" reports.
    The problem now lies in the means of delivering the feedback. Either the reporter receives mail, or a messenger mod, or whatever the devs can think of.
    These feedbacks can be as simple as "the guy you reported has been banned" or "there is not enough evidence to ban this person, please contact us if you find more evidence etc."
    This gives a message to everyone who is affected that report button works.

U said:

To resolve public shaming, instead of system warning declaring to everyone of who got banned today:
    It is much better that the [reporter] receive feedbacks for "meaningful" reports.
    The problem now lies in the means of delivering the feedback. Either the reporter receives mail, or a messenger mod, or whatever the devs can think of.
    These feedbacks can be as simple as "the guy you reported has been banned" or "there is not enough evidence to ban this person, please contact us if you find more evidence etc."
    Currently in the Discord server reports, the mods pretty much already do this. In the reporting channel it is explained that once you see the report has been closed you will know that action was taken. If we need further information or cannot take any action, we reply in the report to ask questions or explain why we cannot do anything (no /time, cropped screenshot, insufficient proof, etc). We do not share what action was taken for privacy reasons and because the reporter may not agree with how it was handled. Players don't always understand how CC moderation works which can often lead to a long discussion/disagreement so it's best if they just know that it was handled. Also, from the moderation side, we find it best if people don't always know which mod took action against a player to avoid becoming a direct target for the not so nice people.
    It seems like the reporting system we have set up for the mods in Discord is working well. Maybe discussions like this will help direct more people to it so they feel like their reports have been seen and handled.
  • U said:

This is cool, but the point of this suggestion is showing the part of the public who don't believe in Reports (I'm pretty sure most scammers ply their trade thinking that it's safe to do so) that action is taken. And the public shaming, too. I think the shaming's something they'll wanna avoid. And personal feedback is such a great idea! The mods could have a discussion with the reporter, ask about the crime. Details. Like the police, only they're cows now, not pigs. What the heck was that joke? Well, there could be like this private chat thing for such convos. I made this sound stupid, didn't I
    Ganondalf said:

U said:

This is cool, but the point of this suggestion is showing the part of the public who don't believe in Reports (I'm pretty sure most scammers ply their trade thinking that it's safe to do so) that action is taken. And the public shaming, too. I think the shaming's something they'll wanna avoid. And personal feedback is such a great idea! The mods could have a discussion with the reporter, ask about the crime. Details. Like the police, only they're cows now, not pigs. What the heck was that joke? Well, there could be like this private chat thing for such convos. I made this sound stupid, didn't I
    If we had a lot of mods that were full time paid employees of the game maybe things like that could happen but they are unpaid volunteers. Handling every report in a detailed conversation like that would require a lot more hours and energy than any volunteer mod should be asked to give of their free time. An active mod already spends hours every day handling things with the current process, this would double the time spent dealing with moderation issues.
    Spreading the information on how to report to the mods or support is the easiest and quickest solution I can see to the problem of people not believing in reports. If they become part of the community Discord server and use the reporting feature there, they would see a different side of this whole situation. I've asked a lot of people who complain that the mods "don't do anything" about how they reported and many say they don't and never have because "it doesn't work". So a lot of this is rumor over fact. The communication line is already there, they just have to use it.
  • Ganondalf said:

U said:

If we had a lot of mods that were full time paid employees of the game maybe things like that could happen but they are unpaid volunteers. Handling every report in a detailed conversation like that would require a lot more hours and energy than any volunteer mod should be asked to give of their free time. An active mod already spends hours every day handling things with the current process, this would double the time spent dealing with moderation issues.
    Spreading the information on how to report to the mods or support is the easiest and quickest solution I can see to the problem of people not believing in reports. If they become part of the community Discord server and use the reporting feature there, they would see a different side of this whole situation. I've asked a lot of people who complain that the mods "don't do anything" about how they reported and many say they don't and never have because "it doesn't work". So a lot of this is rumor over fact. The communication line is already there, they just have to use it.
    Again, all well and good. But attempts were made on spreading the word a few times before. No cake. But occasional messages of people getting banned might revamp trust on official in-game reports. And I understand that it would be an unnecessary load on the mods if that whole thing was implemented. I say this again, this whole suggestion is just a way of spreading the word. And most of the gruntwork will be done by the community, I guess. Once pizzaface has their name on the list, burgersarebetter won't let them forget, see.

Also, maybe something along the lines of "If you have been the victim of a scam and/or verbal abuse, please report the player(s) responsible," could follow the message.

Also, I'm totally up for joining a "Report Support Staff" any day, just sayin'.
  • U said:

Currently in the Discord server reports, the mods pretty much already do this. In the reporting channel it is explained that once you see the report has been closed you will know that action was taken. If we need further information or cannot take any action, we reply in the report to ask questions or explain why we cannot do anything (no /time, cropped screenshot, insufficient proof, etc). We do not share what action was taken for privacy reasons and because the reporter may not agree with how it was handled. Players don't always understand how CC moderation works which can often lead to a long discussion/disagreement so it's best if they just know that it was handled. Also, from the moderation side, we find it best if people don't always know which mod took action against a player to avoid becoming a direct target for the not so nice people.
    It seems like the reporting system we have set up for the mods in Discord is working well. Maybe discussions like this will help direct more people to it so they feel like their reports have been seen and handled.
    Unfortunately the discord server is not that public for new players. I left the server a while back and can't find the link easily right now.
  • Kn1ght4nd3r50nKn1ght4nd3r50n Member, Game Moderator
    edited June 2021

U said:

Unfortunately, the discord server is not that public for new players. I left the server a while back and can't find the link easily right now.
    The invite link isn't difficult to find, there's a discussion talking about Cubic Castles Community Discord Server( Invite links: https://discord.gg/cubiccastles or https://discord.gg/n4284bX ).
    Discussion link: https://forums2.cubiccastles.com/index.php?p=/discussion/29841/cubic-castles-community-discord-server#latest