Sci-Fi Building Contest 2019 (OFFICIAL EVENT) RESULTS!!!

space_fetusspace_fetus Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
Thank you everyone who took the time to vote as well as the other moderating staff who took the time to narrow down the entries.
Hopefully players will feel this is a fairer way of judging than the old way of just moderators judging.
Sorry to all those who weren't picked or didn't win, everybody's opinion of what is good,what is skillful and what is unique are different which is why we try to have the initial judging being done by multiple people to get a broader range of entries for the community vote.
That being said feel free to vote in the poll below and we can take a look at what people feel about the old system vs the new.

Winners

1st - 500k – Night_Wing

2nd - 300k - #Rainbow

3rd - 150k - Missilence

4th - 75k - .Deathless.

5th - 50k - @madetolove

Comments

• *sigh* 3rd should have 1st
  • the community vote are unfair.. welp..mod should vote everything from now
  • theres actually tea going on here. ;)
  • SarcoSarco Member
    edited July 2019
    i cant even understand what 3 is just a bunch of pixels to me .-. I think that 2 shoulda won but o well
  • When we'll be able to get to our rentals?
  • ValyreenaValyreena Member
    edited August 2019
    Sarco said:

i cant even understand what 3 is just a bunch of pixels to me .-. I think that 2 shoulda won but o well

Ever heard of talent? to compose a human skeleton & flip it, & add diagonal backrounds to it. it not someone can perfectly master, but missil here. has done it confidently, even having a good colour balance to it. The chosen furnitures for the perfect touch made it even more magnificent & one of it’s kind. it’s original, beautiful, unique. she deserved it honestly. i don’t see your point of view kid
  • Valyreena said:

Sarco said:

Ever heard of abstract build? Ever heard of talent? to compose a human skeleton & flip it, & add diagonal backrounds to it. it not someone can perfectly master, but missil here. has done it confidently, even having a good colour balance to it. The chosen furnitures for the perfect touch made it even more magnificent & one of it’s kind. it’s original, beautiful, unique. she deserved it honestly. i don’t see your point of view kid
    "I don't see your point of view kid"

The build is very good, but not everyone can understand abstractism, a build also needs to be easy to understand at first impact, she probably deserved 1st place anyway. Probably Sarco didn't understand the build in a first view, because you have to pay attention at the details, the composition etc..

As you said, we're talking about an abstract build.
  • ValyreenaValyreena Member
    edited July 2019

Valyreena said:

Sarco said:

Ever heard of abstract build? Ever heard of talent? to compose a human skeleton & flip it, & add diagonal backrounds to it. it not someone can perfectly master, but missil here. has done it confidently, even having a good colour balance to it. The chosen furnitures for the perfect touch made it even more magnificent & one of it’s kind. it’s original, beautiful, unique. she deserved it honestly. i don’t see your point of view kid

The build is very good, but not everyone can understand abstractism, a build also needs to be easy to understand at first impact, she probably deserved 1st place anyway. Probably Sarco didn't understand the build in a first view, because you have to pay attention at the details, the composition etc..

Still, “ Bunch of pixels? “ that sounded so negative. to promote others by bashing people isn’t right in my opinion. i’ve gone harsh but what he said wasn’t ok. especially in public. every build was great in it’s own way, but “ bunch of pixels “ sounded very shady as heck, very disrespectful to the builder itself. the comment was easily said without second thoughts
  • Lol when Space was judging people were complaining,now that the community votes (which I like)
    Now people say its unfair lol,
    what is it you people want?
  • stop complaining you brainless fools.
    you didn't like how builds were being judged at first so you complained and you got community votes, and now you're complaining again.
  • Alv'Alv' Member
    Voted Night's for 5th but 1st :o
  • SarcoSarco Member
    edited July 2019
    Valyreena said:

Sarco said:

Missilences illustration made much more sense to me but yeh i can kinda see it ...
  • Way to go night wing!
  • nah old building contest.. ever better than this.. cause.. there no community vote..
    soo how about.. just remove the community vote.
    Mod judge are better
  • JuIiusJuIius Member
    You complain if space judges the event. You complain If the community judges the event. You complain if space doesn't do events. Seriously, why should he? Just be grateful for once.
  • WhimsicalFireflyWhimsicalFirefly Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    Congratulations to the winners! I hope everyone will go see all of the finalists in the rooms once they are opened back up. The screenshots cannot capture the entire build so some don't look as good in the pictures as they do when you can see them in person.

To those that didn't win...don't give up! Keep building and you could be a future winner. It was hard to pick the ones to put on the list for community voting. There were a lot of great builds in those rooms.

Thanks Space_fetus for setting this up and for the other space pack events. It was fun having official events again. I hope we will see more in the future.
  • b3achyb3achy Member
    Congrats to the winners! Thanks Space for all the hard work to put this together and to the mods who helped narrow down the field for voting. Well done to all who participated! Keep building! :)
  • Congrats to the winners! Personally I liked number 3 the most!
  • Can you plz unlock the realm like honestly i want to get my stuff now
  • HONEY BOMBHONEY BOMB Member
    edited August 2019
    Lopaiko said:

nah old building contest.. ever better than this.. cause.. there no community vote..
    soo how about.. just remove the community vote.
    Mod judge are better

*Mod judges

Horus can help but not sure if he want
  • space_fetusspace_fetus Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    Building contest can only be unlocked once cosmic has archived the realms. Just waiting on that now before everyone can get the stuff back
  • Sarco said:

3 is upside down astronaut
  • Valyreena said:

Valyreena said:

Sarco said:

Still, “ Bunch of pixels? “ that sounded so negative. to promote others by bashing people isn’t right in my opinion. i’ve gone harsh but what he said wasn’t ok. especially in public. every build was great in it’s own way, but “ bunch of pixels “ sounded very shady as heck, very disrespectful to the builder itself. the comment was easily said without second thoughts
    Another way saying everyone's entries 'Bunch of blocks'
  • edited August 2019
    Votes should be none of those. We should have a special number for each plot, and let people vote. Don’t just put pictures, let people explore the build and vote fairly, in my opinion some of the finalists were quite simple and looked like no effort was put into them. I think we should let people explore freely rather than just let them vote without thinking or understanding or reading, etc.

Edit: Just thought you might say if we vote freely then there would be something like 30 ppl with 1 or 2 votes each, if so, just go make 3 judging phases

Phase I: You nominate a build.
    Phase II: You vote on each build nominated if you want them to stay or not
    Phase III: You vote top 5 of the remaining builds.

———

Alternatively, if this is not considered, when choosing top 5 between the 15 builds chosen by moderators I’d say don’t make a poll but rather have the players comment. This will allow space to verify that the votes are fair (and there are no alts).

Thanks for your attention, I recommend you to ask more questions if you are doubting something in my plan :)
  • Votes should be none of those. We should have a special number for each plot, and let people vote. Don’t just put pictures, let people explore the build and vote fairly, in my opinion some of the finalists were quite simple and looked like no effort was put into them. I think we should let people explore freely rather than just let them vote without thinking or understanding or reading, etc.

That's what i want to say
    @CD87
  • Votes should be none of those. We should have a special number for each plot, and let people vote. Don’t just put pictures, let people explore the build and vote fairly, in my opinion some of the finalists were quite simple and looked like no effort was put into them. I think we should let people explore freely rather than just let them vote without thinking or understanding or reading, etc.

Edit: Just thought you might say if we vote freely then there would be something like 30 ppl with 1 or 2 votes each, if so, just go make 3 judging phases

Phase I: You nominate a build.
    Phase II: You vote on each build nominated if you want them to stay or not
    Phase III: You vote top 5 of the remaining builds.

———

Alternatively, if this is not considered, when choosing top 5 between the 15 builds chosen by moderators I’d say don’t make a poll but rather have the players comment. This will allow space to verify that the votes are fair (and there are no alts).

Thanks for your attention, I recommend you to ask more questions if you are doubting something in my plan :)

The thing is, even if you put a number for each plot, the owner of that plot still knows that it’s their build. So that person can still tell others which build is theirs. I’m sure there will be people who will still tell their friends to vote for them and you have those who will bribe for votes.

Honestly I don’t think there is a truly good way to do the judging for build contests without someone finding a hole in the system. Although your suggested idea was nice, it might not work for the reason stated above.
  • HONEY BOMBHONEY BOMB Member
    edited March 2020
  • Let's be honest,this whole judging thing is not the best idea. Back when Horus said something about voting being a bad idea in his thread called ''Want to become a moderator?' or whatever it was called. I'm too lazy to check the actual name. But anyways,voting in ONLINE games will cause some controversy and drama. This is because of the fact that people that want to win a game or something and they are up for voting,they would beg and BEG everyone to vote for them and promise that they'll do some sort of mega giveaway or something if they win the vote. But later on,when they actually win the first prize,they just do nothing but treat the community like garbage.
  • Graceful ThunderGraceful Thunder Forum Moderator, Game Moderator

Votes should be none of those. We should have a special number for each plot, and let people vote. Don’t just put pictures, let people explore the build and vote fairly, in my opinion some of the finalists were quite simple and looked like no effort was put into them. I think we should let people explore freely rather than just let them vote without thinking or understanding or reading, etc.

Would be nice but unfortunately if the realms were open, people would continue adding onto builds and try to make them appeal even more to the community. One could easily sit there on their plot with a cash register and pay people to vote for their number.
    Add to that the fact that the realms need to be locked so Mabz can archive them.
  • CD87CD87 Member
    Congratulations to all winners, you all did a good job!

I will refrain from commenting about the voting system here, as the whole debate would deserve its own thread.

Though, it's sad to see another attempt of yours receive negative feedbacks despite having so much power at your disposal.