Idea For Events: More Than JUST Cubits... Stuff For EVERYONE

So, we enter the Cubic Events because they are fun to participate in, but for almost everyone, it's for the cubits, right? (Just admit it.) Most of us unfortunately, do not make it to the top 5, depending on the event. I want to purpose an idea that will benefit not only the winners even more so, but as well as graduate all the other participants who took part in the event.

HERE'S MY PURPOSAL = Non-tradable event rewards

These are items that are either one of the following:
- Wearable
- Place-able item

*WEARABLE* A wearable reward would be something that cannot leave your inventory, or else there could be ways for other players to trade and/or steal the item. However, it would not count as an inventory space. Here's how you would put it on. There could be a new button in the player menu (what I mean by that is when you press "Esc") that says Event Rewards. If you click on that, a little tab pops up that acts somewhat like a chest (but there wouldn't be a limitation to the available slots.) From there you can drag the item you want to wear onto yourself or onto a mannequin (The mannequin would have to be within one of your own realms/rooms). The item cannot be dropped. If you pull a mannequin while it is wearing one, it will go into the inventory of the owner (yourself). This means that if a mannequin is wearing it, and other players have perm in the realm, it will act like an owner door, only the owner can pull it, nor could the mannequin be blown up unless by the owner. This will eliminate the ability of these items being able to be given to other players.

*PLACEABLE* A place-able reward would be something that can sit in any of the realms/rooms you own. It will act like a portal when you pick it up, so there is no way to trade it, and if you try to place it in a different realm that isn't your own it will not be placed.

Let me give you a few example for both rewards to give you an idea of what they could possibly be. Let's use the Valentines Building Contest for example. Anyone who follows all of the rules and sends in a build that meets all of the requirements will receive something like a heart shirt. However this shirt will have the year of the contest on the back of it, e.g. 2020, and on the front it may have a bigger heart on it than the other heart shirts or a different design, and these shirts WOULD NOT BE TRADEABLE. If you were not in the top 5, it would stop there for your rewards. However, if you managed to make it to the top 5, your placement number will be in the heart on the front of the shirt. E.g. if you got in 3rd place, your shirt will have a big "3" inside the heart on the front. Not only that but you also get the cubits like normal.

Here's an example of a place-able reward. Let's use the Cubic Race League for as an example. Anyone was able to make the top 10 for any of the months would receive a small, bronze trophy that could be place-able in any of their own realms. However, if at the end of the year, and you made top 5, you will receive a large, golden trophy with the place you got in engraved on the side. E.g. if you got in 2nd place, it would have a "2" on it. This could be placed and moved around in any of the realms you own but cannot be picked up by anyone or can be placed in anyone else's realms/rooms.

This is my idea to get more people involved in events and make it worth while for their hard earned work and efforts even if they didn't win or make the top 5. Comment if you agree or disagree with my idea, and tell me why. @SirKewberth

Comments

• My opinion is mixed tbh. I agree some players do not take part in these because they think they won't win. But there are a few flaws / questionnable things I'd like to say.

An event aims to entertain players. The rewards adds a competitive atmosphere alongside something so players are rewarded for the time they spent on it. You see, I believe (and that's not only in cc) that events are also meant to attract potential players, and make the game grow. It sure entertain, but without a special prize, that would just be a quest. But rewarding all players can whether lead to success or abuse (don't get me wrong, there will always be abuse when it comes to earn free thing...).
    What's problematic is also the amount of work behind. We do, for a few years now, have monthly events thanks to the great job of @Space_Fetus. An event / month takes a lot of reflexion : theme, design, what about low level players, interesting enough?, prizes, etc... From there, we also know that the results are also checked to avoid cheaters / most alt accounts to win. It is done for the rewarded places, but imagine checking that for 2000+ players.. Some things in CC aren't done because of abuse. Not checking for the other players woud inevitably lead to players tricking to get more and more free rewards. Yet checking them all would avoid most of those .. but again, takes a lot of time. And let's not forget players don't usually like to receive rewards late.

Now for the prizes, I'm a huge fan of having event rewards to collect. But, with the packs, updates, bug fixes and support, I don't think there is much time to do 5+ special clothes every month. Not fan either of the wearable system you proposed. Same reasonning for the placeables. Even though I know SirKewberth would like to add some trophies like to reward players for years of playing (BJDWare's idea). But still, much work for every month in my opinion.

Here's what I'd propose if the devs were to reward every player :
    1. et another staff member in charge of the background events (checking / rewarding) - difficult to find.
    2. Check all the players involved in an event and rewards all of them as such :
    - 1st - 5th place - Different amount of cubits alonside the title " _____ event winner" (ie : Valentine Building Contest 2020 winner).
    - 5th to 20th place - 500c alongside the title " _____ event attendee" (ie : Valentine Building Contest 2020 attendee).
    - 20th to [x]th place - 100c alongside the title " _____ event attendee".

About the titles : a new button in the Profile interface with the list of the titles the player has. Clicking on one would display it in small under the player's username (yes more text, we love that).
    That way, every unique player is rewarded according to their place and everyone can display their best title to show how they did during an event.

That's a LOT of work, but that's the best way - to me - to do it (if this was to be done).

Anyways, great discussion, and ty for reading this all. ^^
  • HorizonerTiHorizonerTi Member
    edited December 2020

My opinion is mixed tbh. I agree some players do not take part in these because they think they won't win. But there are a few flaws / questionnable things I'd like to say.

An event aims to entertain players. The rewards adds a competitive atmosphere alongside something so players are rewarded for the time they spent on it. You see, I believe (and that's not only in cc) that events are also meant to attract potential players, and make the game grow. It sure entertain, but without a special prize, that would just be a quest. But rewarding all players can whether lead to success or abuse (don't get me wrong, there will always be abuse when it comes to earn free thing...).
    What's problematic is also the amount of work behind. We do, for a few years now, have monthly events thanks to the great job of @Space_Fetus. An event / month takes a lot of reflexion : theme, design, what about low level players, interesting enough?, prizes, etc... From there, we also know that the results are also checked to avoid cheaters / most alt accounts to win. It is done for the rewarded places, but imagine checking that for 2000+ players.. Some things in CC aren't done because of abuse. Not checking for the other players woud inevitably lead to players tricking to get more and more free rewards. Yet checking them all would avoid most of those .. but again, takes a lot of time. And let's not forget players don't usually like to receive rewards late.

Now for the prizes, I'm a huge fan of having event rewards to collect. But, with the packs, updates, bug fixes and support, I don't think there is much time to do 5+ special clothes every month. Not fan either of the wearable system you proposed. Same reasonning for the placeables. Even though I know SirKewberth would like to add some trophies like to reward players for years of playing (BJDWare's idea). But still, much work for every month in my opinion.

Here's what I'd propose if the devs were to reward every player :
    1. et another staff member in charge of the background events (checking / rewarding) - difficult to find.
    2. Check all the players involved in an event and rewards all of them as such :
    - 1st - 5th place - Different amount of cubits alonside the title " _____ event winner" (ie : Valentine Building Contest 2020 winner).
    - 5th to 20th place - 500c alongside the title " _____ event attendee" (ie : Valentine Building Contest 2020 attendee).
    - 20th to [x]th place - 100c alongside the title " _____ event attendee".

About the titles : a new button in the Profile interface with the list of the titles the player has. Clicking on one would display it in small under the player's username (yes more text, we love that).
    That way, every unique player is rewarded according to their place and everyone can display their best title to show how they did during an event.

That's a LOT of work, but that's the best way - to me - to do it (if this was to be done).

Anyways, great discussion, and ty for reading this all. ^^

Thanks for your thoughts, however, I don't really understand with some of the points you are using. First off, you said that rewarding everyone in a contest may turn abusive. Here's why I don't think it would, or in the case of it might, why it wouldn't really matter. These rewards, because of them not being tradable, have no "value" if you will to them, and for the winners, you could call the rewards as "priceless." (XD) I don't really see what players would try to abuse in this case, because if they do use alts or whatnot, and since it is not a tradable item and technically has no value to it, the player isn't gaining anything from getting the items on multiple accounts. I don't see how this would be any harder than what they do already with checking to see if people are using alts. If they find people on multiple accounts with a few build entries, they don't win or get the prizes but I would think that the only reason you'd want to check is the top 5 players. Make sure those are not any alts, and if they aren't, then what really matters about anyone else. This system, to me, is to reward those people who work hard on a build, but have no chance at actually winning. If you know you are going to get at least something, it will motivate you to at least try it. And if someone makes 2 builds and get 2 participation rewards, as long as they aren't in the top 5, what's going to hurt? Because it's not tradable and therefor cannot affect the economy whatsoever. The top 5 rewards are the ones that stand out and are different. Other than that, everyone else gets the same stuff.

About you saying not enough time to do 5+ special clothing a month. The only difference that the top 5 rewards would have is the number that they display, resembling what place that player got in, and I wouldn't really consider that making 5 different clothing every month, it's just the number that is different.

I also like what you said about the titles, that would be cool.
  • *Joystick**Joystick* Member
    edited December 2020
    About the abuse - sorry I'm quite bad at explaining with such LONG texts. ^^ Was if the rewards were not the ones you suggested (which i talk later on).

For the custom wearables / placeables : I'd like to see different kinds of items dependings on the place. Let's say some wings :
    - 1st gets golden fire wings
    - 2nd gets silver fire wings
    - 3rd gets bronze fire wings
    - 4th and 5th get fire wings
    I'd be kinda unhappy (i mean, that's a reward so it's cool anyways don't get me wrong ^^) to win 1st place and get the same fire wings with a tiny change on them... And shirts shouldn't always be the rewards. :P
    Regardless what we both think, it is a consequent amount of work to think, design and code those every month.

And glad you liked the idea. :)