From coward central -- On answering critics

SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
I've been following a few posts where people say the posts are being deleted because they're critical of the game. I don't really personally care if people have some complaint or criticism. You think there's too many hats and not enough other updates? That's fine. Maybe I even agree. In fact I often agree with player criticism of the game. The game has a lot of flaws. I accept that. We try to make it better. It can't be all done instantaneously. Often players want things that can't be done or are very difficult.

What you don't see is... what do people do behind the scenes? People may say they want building blocks not hats but what do they actually buy? What is the cost of a new feature? Do we have the budget for what you want? The thing you don't like.. how hard is it to fix and how many things are already in the queue that would have to be delayed to put yours as a higher priority? From a player perspective you guys don't have to worry about any of that stuff.

If you don't like something or want a change then just send me a message or make a polite non-dramatic post without threats etc... I don't think those posts have ever been removed. We can't answer everyone all the time, but we try. I mean.. it's not really in our interest to make the game suck for you guys is it? Why would I work on updates I think people won't like or not add features people would love? All those things are to our advantage.

So what about posts that were removed. Well the mods can't answer the critiques but they do try to apply the forum rules as best they can. It has nothing to do with us hiding from critiques of the game.

Comments

• DrakayDrakay Member
    In my opinion there should be new forums rules since the ones we have now are not updated because theres no more karma, well thats my opinion...
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    edited July 2020
    I think you're right about the forum rules.. They're a little out of date now. But it's hard to work on forums and not undersea update you know? I think the players will care more about the latter.
  • WhimsicalFireflyWhimsicalFirefly Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    There are a few things in the rules that are outdated like karma and how warnings work but overall the rules are really the same.
  • edited July 2020
    Not directed at you Kewberth, this is purposely aimed at the ones that read this comment.

I think some have to have a little respect for all the current/past admins, they would've had to really think about what to do that people would love. I've seen some saying that the admins don't listen to what the community say but of course they do, I see Kewberth on commenting on so many discussions and interacting with the community and that in itself is amazing! Since me joining the forums and seeing other players' suggestions the first thing that comes to mind is the impact/what it would take. It is easy as 1-2-3 to suggest things for the game but you need to look into it and think about what is going on behind the scenes. There are so many things, SO many things I see in game that I've seen suggested on the forums.
    The development team of this game isn't huge and for what SirK and any other admins/workers are doing to make this game what it is is incredible! But as that small percentage, it is harder to push updates/fixes out. Some of you see games like Minecraft/Sims/Fortnite/Roblox and see how quick they can fix bugs but they have thousands of people working on their game daily. How many people are working on this game? Like I said, a small amount. What I have loved about this game from the minute of playing is 1. How quick the service for contact is - a lot of people complain but for one person dealing with all those emails it is amazing service and 2. How interactive the developers/admins are, I've PMed SK in the past asking questions/general chat etc... I got a reply so fast. SirKewberth even gave up some time to do an interview for me. Please, everyone, consider the team size and if you have criticism make it constructive criticism not "I HATE THIS!" or "WHAAAT HAVE U DONE!!!!" because that doesn't help!

Same goes for the moderator team - Grace, Galantis, Slim, Whimsy, space_fetus, Scort, Kn1 - that is 7 mods moderating the game. Some will bash them and bash them for five people and over 10,000 players they are doing amazingly.

Just consider: The behind the scenes / size of teams / how well the game actually runs for what it is / the staff are all humans too and can't be there 24/7 / give constructive criticism and not stupid, mean comments because that won't help.
  • Not directed at you Kewberth, this is purposely aimed at the ones that read this comment.

I think some have to have a little respect for all the current/past admins, they would've had to really think about what to do that people would love. I've seen some saying that the admins don't listen to what the community say but of course they do, I see Kewberth on commenting on so many discussions and interacting with the community and that in itself is amazing! Since me joining the forums and seeing other players' suggestions the first thing that comes to mind is the impact/what it would take. It is easy as 1-2-3 to suggest things for the game but you need to look into it and think about what is going on behind the scenes. There are so many things, SO many things I see in game that I've seen suggested on the forums.
    The development team of this game isn't huge and for what SirK and any other admins/workers are doing to make this game what it is is incredible! But as that small percentage, it is harder to push updates/fixes out. Some of you see games like Minecraft/Sims/Fortnite/Roblox and see how quick they can fix bugs but they have thousands of people working on their game daily. How many people are working on this game? Like I said, a small amount. What I have loved about this game from the minute of playing is 1. How quick the service for contact is - a lot of people complain but for one person dealing with all those emails it is amazing service and 2. How interactive the developers/admins are, I've PMed SK in the past asking questions/general chat etc... I got a reply so fast. SirKewberth even gave up some time to do an interview for me. Please, everyone, consider the team size and if you have criticism make it constructive criticism not "I HATE THIS!" or "WHAAAT HAVE U DONE!!!!" because that doesn't help!

Same goes for the moderator team - Grace, Galantis, Slim, Whimsy, space_fetus, Scort, Kn1 - that is 7 mods moderating the game. Some will bash them and bash them for five people and over 10,000 players they are doing amazingly.

Just consider: The behind the scenes / size of teams / how well the game actually runs for what it is / the staff are all humans too and can't be there 24/7 / give constructive criticism and not stupid, mean comments because that won't help.

I believe he said it all, and I absolutely agree. At the end of the day, you are here because you chose to, complaining about something the game developers managed to give you after years of dedication is not the wisest thing to do. Focus on what you have and not on what you don't ; I am not saying that recommendations and suggestions should not be made, but you have to understand that it takes time, and imagine, you are just waiting while the developers are working hard to make the game better and materialize some of your ideas and suggestions, but still, you are the ones complaining.
  • Pete.Pete. Member
    Sir Kewberth, Can you please fix where we can't upload a profile picture? oh, and also, i cant edit my profile because i have a (.) in my name? Much appreciated.

Oh, also, a little off topic, do you know if the summer pack will come soon?
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    Summer pack started testing internally. So it's ready to go, but still being tweaked/debugged.
  • Summer pack started testing internally. So it's ready to go, but still being tweaked/debugged.

Glad to hear that, I can't wait to check it out myself as soon as it comes out!
  • Summer pack started testing internally. So it's ready to go, but still being tweaked/debugged.

Hoping it will be out in the next 2 days since on saturday I have a very packed day / go to sports direct get shoes and go to h&m and then go to life valley and alot more so I'm busy on the while day of saturday
  • Giant_Giant_ Member
    Are you saying Yeti hat wasn't intentionally bad? lol
    But seriously, most admins sort of become estranged and distance themselves like some aloof rich uncle but you guys seem to be in touch and you seem to listen when we complain. Thanks for that. :D
  • UU Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    edited July 2020
    I don’t understand why people complain on here. For some reason they don’t understand how lucky we are. Maybe it’s because not all of them have seen it first hand.

Kewberth and his team value every individual player and the community as a whole far more then any other game developers I’ve ever seen. They do what they believe we want, if it is the best thing to do for the game. Maybe some of you should start being more optimistic with the developers (Including space) and give them some sympathy for all they do for us.
  • Cafe De TernoCafe De Terno Member
    edited July 2020
    Well, so what about a main discussions, like a Q&A from players to mods/admins, so it will not be necessary create more discussions about those things, because there is a main discussions for those questions, and is public for everyone see and maybe create news arguments and ideas.

btw, piratax10 wasn't complaining, he was trying to start a debate, he is grateful for the admin's and mod's work, he wasn't trying to start drama, he was trying to have a civilized talk with everyone.
    Honestly a big QA etc... Probably wouldn't be too helpful. I'm going to agree with people that this or that feature/section needs more work and should be improved. But, at the same time there's already a huge list of things to work on some that have been in the queue now for over a year. Many/most were already player suggestions/requests.

It's mostly about priorities. Ie.. which things should we address first? and that is hard for players to weigh in on, because it's going to be different for every player, and because there are some behind the scenes factors. For instance, I don't think rewriting the graphic engine to support metal along with opengl is going to be on any player list, and yet at some point if we don't do it, we would lose the ability to support iOS (this is just an example.. Apple hasn't yet given a date to stop opengl support but they COULD and so internally that would instantly rearrange our priorities). Sometimes what comes first has to do with what's easier. If something is bothering players and it can be done in an hr vs a month, then even though it hasn't been a long-term request we do it because it's easy to slip in. Often we're forced to work on things that weren't planned because a bug comes to light, or apple or android make an update we have to adjust to, and that can't just wait. For instance a couple of months ago some networking things changed and we couldn't get iOS approved to update without adding a new networking layer. This wasn't planned at the time. And so on...
  • Sorry but a quick suggestion for seasonal packs. Is there a possibility that we could also get a separate pack for blocks and decorations (maybe)? The Easter blocks pack for instance. I would love to spend cubits on a pack filled with blocks and decorations.
  • CrepusCrepus Member
    edited July 2020
    Terrius said:

Sorry but a quick suggestion for seasonal packs. Is there a possibility that we could also get a separate pack for blocks and decorations (maybe)? The Easter blocks pack for instance. I would love to spend cubits on a pack filled with blocks and decorations.

They did that for the easter blocks a while back ^^
  • Alv'Alv' Member
    We all have to stop complaining tbh, Kewberth is carrying the game solo.. it's not that easy to carry a game with a few developers
    Just appreciate what Kewberth added to the game.

Btw Kewberth, can u add summer blocks pack? Those sand castles block and sand dune
  • I love the very close-knit moderation/community scheme this game has. The admins and mods actually actively participate in the community forums and discord, which really makes the game better. Just a little tangent~ carry on
  • I love the very close-knit moderation/community scheme this game has. The admins and mods actually actively participate in the community forums and discord, which really makes the game better. Just a little tangent~ carry on

+
  • Im late to the conversation but since a big issue is the amount of manpower and budget, have you guys ever considered volunteers for some of the minor stuff? I mean, asking for people to submit textures for new items or maybe making models/scripting if they have the talent. I think maybe there's a few people who would love to help out. Obviously its easier said then done, but maybe its something to consider?
  • WhimsicalFireflyWhimsicalFirefly Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator

Im late to the conversation but since a big issue is the amount of manpower and budget, have you guys ever considered volunteers for some of the minor stuff? I mean, asking for people to submit textures for new items or maybe making models/scripting if they have the talent. I think maybe there's a few people who would love to help out. Obviously its easier said then done, but maybe its something to consider?

SirKewberth has addressed this subject in the past and said they will not use members of the community to help with game development so unless something major happens to change his mind I don't see that happening.
  • Im late to the conversation but since a big issue is the amount of manpower and budget, have you guys ever considered volunteers for some of the minor stuff? I mean, asking for people to submit textures for new items or maybe making models/scripting if they have the talent. I think maybe there's a few people who would love to help out. Obviously its easier said then done, but maybe its something to consider?

SirKewberth has addressed this subject in the past and said they will not use members of the community to help with game development so unless something major happens to change his mind I don't see that happening.
    I understand that, I guess. Hopefully they work something out to take some of the pressure off themselves.
  • oi right farming right should be improved with a seeder car that u can access inventory add one type of seed and then like when u ride it over soils right it plants those seeds really epic makes it 10x easier innit just like thaat other farming car
  • JedeeJedee Member
    Alvin! said:

We all have to stop complaining tbh, Kewberth is carrying the game solo.. it's not that easy to carry a game with a few developers
    Just appreciate what Kewberth added to the game.

Btw Kewberth, can u add summer blocks pack? Those sand castles block and sand dune

Agree with this....