Highest Grossing Game of All Time

FluffyiceFluffyice Member
edited April 2020 in Off-Topic
What do you think the highest grossing video game of all time is? Leave your guess in the poll below! I will post the answer in the comments tomorrow! You could just look it up, but you could also torture yourself and not! :D

Update: I am not quite sure what the correct answer is anymore given the fact that multiple sources (which seem pretty reputable to me) are telling me different things. I will see if I can find more info on which is the correct answer, when/if I do, I will post it here!

Update: after reviewing multiple sources, I have come to the conclusion that Tetris is the highest grossing video game of all time.

While a specific sales total is unavailable (and likely near impossible to calculate considering its numerous variations and platforms), Henk Rogers, The Tetris Company's managing director, told VentureBeat Tetris has 425 million paid mobile downloads, in addition to "something like 70 million" physical game sales. Considering that figure was reported in 2014, it's safe to assume the 495 million total has since shot up well above 500 million. (ign.com).

Comments

• Clash of Clans
  • Minecraft
  • JuIiusJuIius Member
    edited April 2020
    Minecraft
  • Minecraft, cuz i never even heard of the other games lol
  • SarcoSarco Member
    edited April 2020
    IronFish said:

Minecraft, cuz i never even heard of the other games lol

You've never heard of Tetris or Wii Sports? :0
    But yeah, Minecraft for sure
  • Minecraft
  • Sarco said:

IronFish said:

You've never heard of Tetris or Wii Sports? :0
    I'm not that much of a gamer lol
    but maybe i heard of Tetris before, cuz it sounds familiar
  • FluffyiceFluffyice Member
    edited April 2020
    Player said:

Clash of Clans

Retailer said:

Minecraft

JuIius said:

Minecraft

IronFish said:

Minecraft

The correct answer is.......Tetris!
  • Fluffyice said:

Player said:

Clash of Clans

Retailer said:

Minecraft

JuIius said:

Minecraft

IronFish said:

Minecraft

No, it is Minecraft, there is a Wikipedia article that says 180,000,000 people have Minecraft, and Tetris only has 35,000,000
  • MEEPYZ said:

Fluffyice said:

Player said:

Clash of Clans

Retailer said:

Minecraft

JuIius said:

Minecraft

IronFish said:

Minecraft

No, it is Minecraft, there is a Wikipedia article that says 180,000,000 people have Minecraft, and Tetris only has 35,000,000
    That is how many copies of the game were sold, not how much the game earned.
  • 'Dragon''Dragon' Member
    edited April 2020
    Yes the answer is Tetris I believe.
  • 'Dragon' said:

Yes the answer is Tetris I believe.

I believe so too!
  • CubicCubic Member
    How do tetras earn money?
  • I don't know if you guys realise this but Tetris wasn't free back then
  • FluffyiceFluffyice Member
    edited April 2020
    Player said:

I don't know if you guys realise this but Tetris wasn't free back then

Yes, in fact, In 1988, according to www.theatlantic.com, the IBM version of Tetris sold for $34.95, which, according to www.usinflationcalculator.com, is $76.26 in today's money!
  • Guess I was wrong.

It was passed some time back.
  • 'Dragon' said:

Guess I was wrong.

It was passed some time back.

That is a video on most SOLD video games of all time, not highest grossing!

• Fluffyice said:

Player said:

I don't know if you guys realise this but Tetris wasn't free back then

Yes, in fact, In 1988, according to www.theatlantic.com, the IBM version of Tetris sold for $34.95, which, according to www.usinflationcalculator.com, is $76.26 in today's money!
    Even so, Minecraft is usually like $20, so 180 million times 20 would be 3.6 billion today, and that is in copies sold, they also sell merchandise like T-Shirts, plushies, etc.
  • MidnightStormMidnightStorm Member
    edited May 2020
    Probably not Minecraft.. It's relatively new. If we're talking about franchises, I'd vouch for Mario, but I'm not sure about those 4
  • Probably not Minecraft.. It's relatively new. If we're talking about franchises, I'd vouch for Mario, but I'm not sure about those 4

um it released in 2011
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    Super Mario... Nintendo. 17Billion
  • Probably not Minecraft.. It's relatively new. If we're talking about franchises, I'd vouch for Mario, but I'm not sure about those 4

um it released in 2011
    Relatively new. Minecraft was released in 2009, as compared to Tetris’ 1984. Though I digress that Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds is newer.
  • Uh Minecraft?
  • JuIiusJuIius Member
    Minecraft is 100% the highest. A $30 game that's sold 176 million copies... just do the math.
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    Yeah I did the math. Super Mario at 17 billion still far outshines it. Assuming it sold at 30$ every time (it didnt the average is much lower) minecraft only made 3-5billion.
  • JuIiusJuIius Member

Yeah I did the math. Super Mario at 17 billion still far outshines it. Assuming it sold at 30$ every time (it didnt the average is much lower) minecraft only made 3-5billion.

Lol
    I never got to play the really old Mario games, I want to though.
  • JuIius said:

Lol
    Use an emulator, it's not the og experience but still does the job
  • -username--username- Member
    edited May 2020
    JuIius said:

Just download the NES + SNES games on Switch, they are free with a NSO subscription
  • Chess.