Development Curiousity! (would be best if a dev answer these XD)

TsuTsu Member
edited September 2016 in General Chat
Just out of curiousity before i can settle myself to sleep!

how many people are there in the development team? who play the different roles? (e.g Game artist(s), Programmer, Level design & etc), who has the important role? also (this may be lazy of me for not looking into it harder) what engines and softwares that are involve in the production of this lovely game?
and lastly, you guys not plans on making any new games?

you know im curious... can't get myself to sleep (even binged myself saying that i can just post this tmr... but i can't!!)

Comments

• HorusHorus EnglandMember, Forum Moderator, Retired Moderator
    edited September 2016
    At the moment the developer team consists of three people:

- CosmicCow (Programming & Server)
    - SirKewberth (Programming & Website)
    - BetaMax (Visuals & Sound)

In addition to that, Mabz is working in customer support and I administrate both these forums and the wiki.

The game itself was written purely out of C++ and some self-made tools.

As for making new games, they said they're sticking to CC for now.
  • wow... a three-man show.. i thought there would be more people in the development team and also with the fast respond of the customer support, i also thought there were more than 1 person
    handling that that part(it was mabz all along...poor him) wow! i'm amazed! no wonder you guys had to recruit moderators to help u guys along. Of course that wiki is almost as good as the other wiki, considering only you who handle it. hats off to all of you! (i myself had trouble even looking at a script, that is why i took games design instead XD)

so ideas are only discuss with both SirKewberth and CosmicCow? and for the items and character(Qbee), is Maya or 3DMax used to create them?

not considering recruiting anyone into the dev team? the customer support? or even the forums and wiki?(i still need an industrial attachment XD)
  • CanItBeDoneCanItBeDone The Universe; The Milky Way Galaxy; The Solar System; Earth; North AmericaMember
    Written out of C++, must research now
  • eagence said:

And also how long did it took for you to develop this from the first code you code for this game to beta? It must be a long work for only 2 programmers :)

EAXACTLY!!! it's huge... how did they even manage!
  • Silver347Silver347 Member
    edited September 2016
    This might be also a reason why they are releasing the updates soo slowly and...maybe they are lazy I know how c++ knows to be a pain the rear and its pretty hard to make a game like that
  • Silver347 said:

This might be also a reason why they are releasing the updates soo slowly and...maybe they are lazy I know how c++ knows to be a pain the rear and its pretty hard to make a game like that

To be fair they update the game more frequently than any other game I know, we get updates every 1-2 months, some other games its every 3-6 months or like once a year.
    It's surprising how quickly they update.

• Lucas The SpiderLucas The Spider U.K, England Member

Silver347 said:

To be fair they update the game more frequently than any other game I know, we get updates every 1-2 months, some other games its every 3-6 months or like once a year.
    It's surprising how quickly they update.

I've seen a couple games get updates out this quick but they've got 10-20 staff, it's amazing how CosmicCow do so much in a short time.
  • eagence said:

Actually I don't think updates are quick or respond to everything is amazingly fast but for some x and y cases they act even faster then light and I feel like a fool about how they can react so fast about those cases... Such as someone posting a not ok thing in cubic castle forum or someone finding a bug which may not end up well... I know mods also help them a lot since I have some experience about it but still maximum 20 people leading a game with 4000 players and we have only two/four programmers for 4000 players omg. They are even too fast for such conditions...

About update of game:

Silver347 said:

A good programmer doesn't implement each and every update exactly after its written there is also a huge bug test period and other cases like how it will interract with other blocks etc. Besides those bugs and security issues and closing possible explotations, just directly pushing every update also kills economy because of the people who can't follow trends... So I think they also have some nice things in their pocket and not show us yet.. Not because they are slow or lazy...But if you would know that you just want to see those things and disturb them a lot until you make some head ache don't you? I hope I didn't give too much spoilers...

However there were some cases I doubt their lazyness like cases of "wigs". It was ok to see some wigs and colors but eh there was just 4 new items (5 with princess) with its colors and they weren't even colorable. They could do better than that, some disapointed. However it wasn't something specific to an event or a real update more like something done to add some hair into game... (but lets discuss this in relevant discussion.)

(Off-topic)
    I always see Eagence type long comments xD
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    edited September 2016
    What Horus said is mostly correct. But I'll just clarify in my own words...

- how many people are there in the development team?

3 developers.. All programming and doing other roles.

- who play the different roles? (e.g Game artist(s), Programmer, Level design & etc)

Betamax (Client + artwork)
    ComsicCow (Server code)
    SirKewberth (Developer on both client and server. Different parts of each. Earlier on I also did the original port to Android.)

- who has the important role?

All parts are needed for it to work. There isn't a main developer if that's what you mean. Each of us handles our own sections. We try to split the work up into pieces we can each work on separately on our own. We each design and code our respective parts.

-also (this may be lazy of me for not looking into it harder) what engines and softwares
    -that are involve in the production of this lovely game?

No 3rd party engines. All custom code in c++. We use visual studio for most of it. Some cross platform code in Java and ObjectiveC for android and iOS platforms. We use Android studio and XCode a little as well, as needed for their respective platforms.

- and lastly, you guys not plans on making any new games?

Maybe one day, but nothing definite planned right now.
    Horus said:

Actually Cosmic did the website.. I just made some support pages that mabz uses that regular players don't see. I guess I update the crafting web page but that's only because I coded the crafting system. That page gets spit out by the code. It's auto-generated.

• What Horus said is mostly correct. But I'll just clarify in my own words...

- how many people are there in the development team?

3 developers.. All programming and doing other roles.

- who play the different roles? (e.g Game artist(s), Programmer, Level design & etc)

Betamax (Client + artwork)
    ComsicCow (Server code)
    SirKewberth (Developer on both client and server. Different parts of each. Earlier on I also did the original port to Android.)

- who has the important role?

All parts are needed for it to work. There isn't a main developer if that's what you mean. Each of us handles our own sections. We try to split the work up into pieces we can each work on separately on our own. We each design and code our respective parts.

-also (this may be lazy of me for not looking into it harder) what engines and softwares
    -that are involve in the production of this lovely game?

No 3rd party engines. All custom code in c++. We use visual studio for most of it. Some cross platform code in Java and ObjectiveC for android and iOS platforms. We use Android studio and XCode a little as well, as needed for their respective platforms.

- and lastly, you guys not plans on making any new games?

Maybe one day, but nothing definite planned right now.

Horus said:

Actually Cosmic did the website.. I just made some support pages that mabz uses that regular players don't see. I guess I update the crafting web page but that's only because I coded the crafting system. That page gets spit out by the code. It's auto-generated.

ouh nice! must be tiring trying to keep up with the amount of updates us players always nag and complain about...
  • o-o (IDK what to say but..... somehow this info is useful for me)
  • o-o (IDK what to say but..... somehow this info is useful for me)

which part?