We are discussing the new sponsored events for some reason

Comments

• lucaaa795lucaaa795 Potatoe's worldMember

Well since people feel so strongly about this mod thing (I'm a little surprised) I will make an effort to try and find some new ones. You have to understand, from my point of view most of what I see about mods is complaints from people about how a mod banned or warned them etc.. so you do get into the mindset of players not really liking the mod system.

That's because people don't understand that they cannot do bad things. We have a lot of young players here, who do not know a whole lot, so ofc we will have people complaining. I see your point of view, and I greatly appreciate the fact that you are looking into this, rather than tossing it aside :)
    There has been countless cases of power abuse in the past too so it's not just "oh people don't understand the rules and they complain about it". Now, the 2 new moderators that have been suggested by the community do not seem to have any will to abuse their powers.
  • lucaaa795 said:

Well since people feel so strongly about this mod thing (I'm a little surprised) I will make an effort to try and find some new ones. You have to understand, from my point of view most of what I see about mods is complaints from people about how a mod banned or warned them etc.. so you do get into the mindset of players not really liking the mod system.

That's because people don't understand that they cannot do bad things. We have a lot of young players here, who do not know a whole lot, so ofc we will have people complaining. I see your point of view, and I greatly appreciate the fact that you are looking into this, rather than tossing it aside :)
    There has been countless cases of power abuse in the past too so it's not just "oh people don't understand the rules and they complain about it". Now, the 2 new moderators that have been suggested by the community do not seem to have any will to abuse their powers.
    remember that Kewb said they'll change along with their new mod experience if they got chosen. So we never know what's behind :)
  • lucaaa795 said:

I meant newbies who do take someone's things, then holla later about being banned for awhile. I see what you are getting at though.
  • CD87CD87 Member
    edited December 2018

Try it, and make sure to filter the right feedbacks.
    You have done many right choices in the past, make this one right too.

#webelieveinyou
    lucaaa795 said:

There will always be some risks. This applies to all the mods that were chosen upto now though.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [InSstep] said:

a question : did Space_Fetus kicked from mod?

No xD
  • As long as the friends of the newly appointed mods do not ‘flex’ and threaten others that they have this or that in their list and can face this or that consequences, I’m fine with it
  • Am i missed something x.x
    may we know how are the building contest picking winners
    it's solo or a team to give score ?
  • Mr.Granicus.Mr.Granicus. Member
    edited December 2018
    U said:

So I've been watching this thread. Here's how I see it...

There use to be no regular community events. People complained there wasn't enough to do and so we entertained the idea of running more official events, and eventually we chose someone to run regular events. The hope was that would improve the game for everyone. These are free for all players, and on top of that they add millions of cubits to the economy and cost us to hold. It doesn't matter if space is being paid or not. I'm not sure why it's relevant to the discussion. Basically from our end we put in resources, and if the actual end result of that is everyone complaining, then it's definitely not worth doing.

If you're thinking.. no I don't want to end events, I want bigger fancier fairer less biased events the meet all my expectations, and I want them to remain free! Then, sadly, I don't think that's the end result of this thread.

Here's why..

1) We can't afford to hire a big team of people to run really fancy events. We're already doing what we can. I have not seen good solutions proposed in this thread. Mostly people complaining about a variety of unconnected things. I don't think players are willing to pay for events either. (am I wrong? is a 20$ a month event fee something you guys want? If 1000 players wanted to do that then certainly we could afford to do fancier events, but I suspect it's not the case.)

2) Based on past experience, we should not use player volunteers to attempt to improve events. Already in this thread I see complaints about who gets paid, and who gets credit, and favoritism etc.. These are not new issues. This kind of envy and infighting are precisely the reason I never used player realms for quests despite being offered many very good ones, and also why I have been slow to add new mods. I'm not sure I'll ever add new mods at this point to be honest. There may be no mods int he game eventually. If the game did grow and got a much larger audience, I would consider adding paid GMs when we could afford it or hiring more support staff. For now it's not an option. But anyway based on past experience, player volunteering for anything (testing even) has generally lead to more problems than help.

3) Bias in judging was a complaint back when Horus ran contests and now is creeping up again in this thread. I had to laugh when someone suggested those were the good ol' days considering how many complaints I got back then. I don't take this charge seriously though because I know how judging is done. For isntance, I've been part of judging many contests choosing winners. Also, I chose winners not knowing who had made the entry so I would not have been able to choose players I liked vs disliked etc... And not just me. A GROUP of us selected different winners. That went on to determine who won overall. Considering that multiple people take part in judging (and not always the same people) and the choices are made anonymously I don't see how bias can be a fair charge. So I can say with certainty that Space isn't looking through a list of entries and saying, this one was done by my friend so I'll select them. That isn't happening.

4) Quality - Here you guys have some legit complaints. The quality will vary on events. This in part has to do with how much time there is. So maybe some events have been better than others. I'll acccept that. But again the events are free, and there's a limit to what we can provide for free while still keeping up all the work we have to do. Space is only at this part time and sometimes his life outside of cubic is busier and he has less time, and he's been helping build official realms for future updates. One thing we can do here is reduce the number of events. That would allow for fancier events, but they'd occur less often.

Anyway.. right now I'm just thinking we'll probably pull back on the events since people seem unhappy with them. I'm not sure what else we can do. I don't think we're going to be able to produce much better events given the size of our staff and the amount of resources we have, so if the only solution is to somehow create much higher quality events then maybe we can do fewer events where the quality is a bit better or simply stop doing them. The whole point of doing these was to make your guys happy and right now I'm not seeing that, so why put energy money and effort into something that, outside of not being wanted, actually seems to be causing anger/dissapointment?

Ye you dont have big support team because
    You didnt trust other players offer to be a mod

• hmm idk wut happend.. but yeah.. didnt ever care about how space build the realm.. how space judge the contest..i just enjoy the game..im poor on this game.. i have nothing rares. nothing expensive item.. im bad at building. im not popular.. no one know me. Why all of you keep taking space into ur problem.. Space did Great thing on cc.. Make many event and more cool minigame. hes great.. and space might being busy.and he need to do all that fast.

#idontknowwhathappend
    #hm

• hmm idk wut happend.. but yeah.. didnt ever care about how space build the realm.. how space judge the contest..i just enjoy the game..im poor on this game.. i have nothing rares. nothing expensive item.. im bad at building. im not popular.. no one know me. Why all of you keep taking space into ur problem.. Space did Great thing on cc.. Make many event and more cool minigame. hes great.. and space might being busy.and he need to do all that fast.

#idontknowwhathappend
    #hm

In my opinion, the result of the most recent contest was the spark that ignited all the hot coal waiting to be burned. (It was pretty controversial too)

Considering Space doing all of this on his own, I think he did a fine job. He just needs to improve the variety of the events and some PR stuff.
  • I missed alot of stuff huh
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    Alright so.. for events here's where I think I'm leaning...

1) Space will still do official events but fewer so he has more time to set them up. Maybe around 1/month instead of 3-4 -- and I will use his building skills to help me in other ways since he'll have more time.

2) To pick up some of that slack, we will sponser some player created events using some kind of system. I'm not sure how many and how often right now. Specifics to be determined but basically you make a team, propose an event, and then players can vote for which one theyd like sponsered. Something like that. Ill setup a thread for it. This will allow those players who really want to volunteer to run their own events a chance to try it without spending their own cubits. (within some reasonable budget) In this thread I've been told over and over that lots of people who are great builders/designers would happily work on events and do great stuff.. so let's see if it's true. If it doesn't work out we'll stop doing it, but if it does then the community will get some nice events and more variety and creativity coming from different people.

• Sounds Great!
  • Alright so.. for events here's where I think I'm leaning...

1) Space will still do official events but fewer so he has more time to set them up. Maybe around 1/month instead of 3-4 -- and I will use his building skills to help me in other ways since he'll have more time.

2) To pick up some of that slack, we will sponser some player created events using some kind of system. I'm not sure how many and how often right now. Specifics to be determined but basically you make a team, propose an event, and then players can vote for which one theyd like sponsered. Something like that. Ill setup a thread for it. This will allow those players who really want to volunteer to run their own events a chance to try it without spending their own cubits. (within some reasonable budget) In this thread I've been told over and over that lots of people who are great builders/designers would happily work on events and do great stuff.. so let's see if it's true. If it doesn't work out we'll stop doing it, but if it does then the community will get some nice events and more variety and creativity coming from different people.

That sounds like it could work!
  • Alright so.. for events here's where I think I'm leaning...

In my opinion this is the best option we have so far and the smartest one, we can't really blame it all on Space, he is a very good builder but since the time he had to do each event was very short within time it got harder and more and more exhausting, and also being paid imo is not that wrong, since the effort he has to put in everything is big, even though by what everyone was commenting it wasn't paying off, the point is that we don't know how everyone's real life is, we don't know what the person does exactly and what space had to ignore or go trough in real life to be able to make these events, i'm not saying he is 100% inoccent since he accepted doing the events even though he knew the time to do each one was short and knew his daily shores, once he saw it wasn't having the same quality as it should of had he should of gone public telling the players what was happening and asking for suggestions and opinions of what could've been done, anyways, about this choice Kew made I think that we are going to be able to improve not only the events but the community as a whole since people who put effort on building will have something to do and to be recognized for and the ones who don't will have something to do out of the ordinary, we have and had some really good builders that could actually make some god tier designed event buildings, I support this decision and hopefully it will work. #IHaveFaith
  • Thanks to all the mods and dev for weighing in finally and for constructive solutions being proposed.

Agree that monthly events might be more doable for one person. I know Space mentioned being sick earlier this month, and then just normal RL during the holidays probably rushed him a bit for the last event...even still, I didn't understand the uproar over the rooms, but I'm not a master builder either. Will be interesting if the group events work out, but appreciate you willing to try it out.

Have to agree that we do need more mods and glad you are taking it seriously that we are begging for more mods to control the ongoing anarchy (just spend an hour or two in the lobby and you'll get an idea of the crazy that happens just there). #Firefly&GraceForMods
  • Eagence said:

1 step forward for 5 step backward... I do have so many doubts about this solution...

Ex: what if one offers to host bomb games? Will we compare it with a parkour or egg hunt or with other sort of puzzles, mazes, arcade games. It is sounding like ridiculous comparison...

I think bomb games would not be allowed. Probably a list of different kinds of events, just like your examples.
  • space_fetusspace_fetus Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    I wasn't going to weigh in but I will leave one little comment to address the "I knew what I was signing up to comments" In october this year I took a brand new job and went from a 40 hour work week to a 72 hour work week. I informed kew and we were already in the process of sorting something out to be changed because its important for events to get the time they deserve. Yes I do get paid on an event to event basis but it was never a full time job for me it occupied almost all of my free time which of course I now have almost none of it. Thank you to everyone who is pushing to improve the game in any way shape or form.
  • UU Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator

I wasn't going to weigh in but I will leave one little comment to address the "I knew what I was signing up to comments" In october this year I took a brand new job and went from a 40 hour work week to a 72 hour work week. I informed kew and we were already in the process of sorting something out to be changed because its important for events to get the time they deserve. Yes I do get paid on an event to event basis but it was never a full time job for me it occupied almost all of my free time which of course I now have almost none of it. Thank you to everyone who is pushing to improve the game in any way shape or form.

Love you space <3
  • I don't play this game much anymore, as a result I don't feel comfortable giving an opinion on this matter specifically without experience in the events themselves or what has happened to invoke these complains. What I will however say is if an event is poorly constructed then it shouldn't go through.

As for payment, I don't see an issue with that inherently as long as they're administered for each complete event. What I mean by this is as I've mentioned each event should be finished, progressed on at its own pace and when it is ready then that is the result of the payment.

Now I have no real way of definitively telling if any biased judging had occurred but if there was then it would be a huge problem. I think what was said in that someone should judge without name taking would be the right approach to take.

If Space is busy in his real life occupation then in order to keep up the pace of events somewhat regularly, the developers would be well off finding someone else to help with that kind of thing, Grey is a good example. Hypothetically if Space is still the only builder, then event times, event frequency and time allocated for events before holidays will have to be looked at to suit his free hours.

Finally, I do think thoughts like these were always a thing in CC, for events, staff members or whatever else, or at least that is what I gather from a lot of conversations I've had over the past which I can recall from. I do however think in this instance there is perhaps a wider group of people complaining and most importantly a much larger open discussion of it on the forums.
  • Eagence said:

I do not support this nonsense, and I already see many issues with it...

Like how this method will stop judges to be unfair?
    Like how this events will stop people to reserve these cubits for their own friends?
    And like how this nonsense will not create populism in CC, where people get together to rant together out of fraud? But thats my opinion... And we will see how it turns out...

For instance why someone shall not make a parkour and practive on 1000 times and then make a race out of it later on?, and then claim his own self a winner or his friend as winner? It can be pure rant... Is it that hard to realize that Kewb?

I'm not going to address anything you said, I just want your opinion. What should we do then?
  • Y'all should stop squabbling and make me a mod and watch your problems get flushed away. As you all know, I am the most qualified person for this role.
  • AshiMagariAshiMagari The internet :PMember
    Some people will always take advantage of others, so I'm sure there will be some events that pan out the way @Eagence is expecting. This would be easy to moderate though, as long as there is a "blacklist". If a person hosts a fraudulent event, they would be unable to host more. In the long term, there would be more events for the entire community to enjoy.
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    Of course that sort of thing could happen, but it's not like this very thread didn't accuse the official events of also cheating, so I'm not even sure that somoene would have to run an unfair event to get accused. If players feel the event was run poorly though they wont vote for that team. You suggested a bunch of teams you thought could make good events. What if they cheated? If the bar for who can run an event is that they must never possibly cheat or even be under suspicion of cheating then nobody can run one.
  • We would never have anything new in CC if we stopped at the thought of "perhaps this could lead to something bad". Interesting things come from risk >:D
  • This is largely in an experimental stage and I look forward to seeing how it pans out. You can not gain without taking risk. Any idea has potential set back, rewards are not gained without risk.
  • This is largely in an experimental stage and I look forward to seeing how it pans out. You can not gain without taking risk. Any idea has potential set back, rewards are not gained without risk.

The hardest decisions require the strongest wills
  • Hoph said:

Y'all should stop squabbling and make me a mod and watch your problems get flushed away. As you all know, I am the most qualified person for this role.

^