Make Owning Bugged Items Illegal

UU Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
edited November 2018 in Suggestions & Comments
I understand that they’re ‘cool’ to some people. But, there is many many reasons people shouldn’t be able to own them.

People Sell Bugged Items
I always understood from the guidelines that selling bugged items was illegal. But, if you scroll down to Kewberth’s Comment in this thread you can find it’s just not recommended. The way I look at this is, you can find a bug that creates a new item, mass produce that new item, and get it patched. Well since you are the only one that own this item and collectors are collectors, you can sell it for 10,000c? 100,000c? 1,000,000c? So, people can get hundreds of thousands of cubits because they happened to get there hands on a bugged item. These people get cubits unfairly, since nobody else had the chance to get this item.

Now if simply owning these bugged items where illegal, then there would of been no way they where even sold in the first place. People will not buy or sell them if they aren’t even suppose to have them in the first place.
Unfairness
I am going to start by quoting spiridon here.
spiridon said:

I talked to support about this a while ago, and never heard anything about it again. I totally agree, if an item isn’t available for everyone to obtain fairly then it shouldn’t be allowed

This brings up a really good point, how is it fair for people to own bugged items if everyone else didn’t have the option to obtain them? Like I said in the beggining it’s ‘cool’ to some people, but then there’s the 99% of the community that didn’t have the chance to get then. So what does some of this 99% do? Buy them.

I will be giving away all of my bugged items if this is kept legal, I would rather have them around the game to make this more fair to people. I will start the giveaway on the today if nothing is said.

Comments

• Log_erLog_er Member
    edited November 2018
    Remember the "Nol" mask? Why shouldn't those 2 people be able to own them? It's not like they were duplicated. And I'm sure items can't be duplicated unless people ILLEGALLY hack into the server.
  • UU Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    edited November 2018
    Log_er said:

Remember the "Nol" mask? Why shouldn't those 2 people be able to own them? It's not like they were duplicated. And I'm sure items can't be duplicated unless people ILLEGALLY hack into the server.

That was kind of different because they didn’t create them. They just popped into the game. But at the same time how where they used? Rolim used it to spoil hats that where in the files that weren’t in game yet. People offered millions of cubits for it. I’m suprised nobody sold there’s.

Either way, i’m talking about bugs that are abused multiple times before they’re reported because there’s nothing stopping them from keeping these bugged items.

Let me add there was a infinite cubit bug I knew about, but Noe told me not to report it because he wanted to get cubits for being the one to find it. You know how many people knew about this bug before it was fixed? Maybe fifteen. It could of gotten out and the whole game would of broke. So yes, you can get items and cubits without illegally hacking the game.

There was a few broken links recently that said players had who where showing it off. A said player was going to sell this broken link because there was nothing stopping them from having it.
  • U said:

Log_er said:

That was kind of different because they didn’t create them. They just popped into the game. But at the same time how where they used? Rolim used it to spoil hats that where in the files that weren’t in game yet. People offered millions of cubits for it. I’m suprised nobody sold there’s.

Either way, i’m talking about bugs that are abused multiple times before they’re reported because there’s nothing stopping them from keeping these bugged items.
    technically speaking the null hat used to be a regular item. athena said hers used to be a portal stamp i believe. i dont recall what mine used to be before it turned into a null hat but mine was in glass when me and a friend noticed it whilst talking in my realm one day
    edited November 2018

U said:

Log_er said:

technically speaking the null hat used to be a regular item. athena said hers used to be a portal stamp i believe. i dont recall what mine used to be before it turned into a null hat but mine was in glass when me and a friend noticed it whilst talking in my realm one day
    I know, that’s why I said it’s different. They didn’t create it in their own.

Also, I’m sure @pious can add bugs that have been abused because people are allowed to own them.
  • U said:

U said:

Log_er said:

tthough if you think about it whatever the item that turned into a null hat was was technically bought BY the person who had it... these items dont magically appear.
    edited November 2018

U said:

U said:

Log_er said:

tthough if you think about it whatever the item that turned into a null hat was was technically bought BY the person who had it... these items dont magically appear.
    They didn’t buy a stamp knowing it would turn into a null. Thats makes no sense..
  • U said:

U said:

U said:

Log_er said:

They didn’t buy a stamp knowing it would turn into a null. Thats makes no sense..
    the world may never knowwww
  • U said:

Log_er said:

Let me add there was a infinite cubit bug I knew about, but Noe told me not to report it because he wanted to get cubits for being the one to find it. You know how many people knew about this bug before it was fixed? Maybe fifteen. It could of gotten out and the whole game would of broke. There’s nothing restraining people from sharing bugs, or creating bugged items.

There was a few broken links recently that said players had who where showing it off. A said player was going to sell this broken link because there was nothing stopping them from having it.
    As I've said, unless they ILLEGALLY hack into cc servers, they can't just create items. Everything (most items and variables) are server connected. The client can't change the server. The server keeps everything in tact...
    edited November 2018
    Log_er said:

U said:

Log_er said:

Let me add there was a infinite cubit bug I knew about, but Noe told me not to report it because he wanted to get cubits for being the one to find it. You know how many people knew about this bug before it was fixed? Maybe fifteen. It could of gotten out and the whole game would of broke. There’s nothing restraining people from sharing bugs, or creating bugged items.

As I've said, unless they ILLEGALLY hack into cc servers, they can't just create items. Everything (most items and variables) are server connected. The client can't change the server. The server keeps everything in tact...
    Yes they can.. there has been bugs where you can get infinite cubits from a programming mistake..

Still, that isn’t what the discussion said at all, I never said anything about people hacking items.

But, there has been instances..
  • I am for removing bugged items but I be sad to see my frozen goods go bye bye. Nothing is beautiful like a slyme egg and a pow gift immortalized :O!
  • elemental godelemental god The netherlandsMember
    well actually, you say they wont report it... but actually most report it after they made one for themselfs...

well actually, you say they wont report it... but actually most report it after they made one for themselfs...

Same difference either way, they abuse it for fame, or to sell it.
  • I talked to support about this a while ago, and never heard anything about it again. I totally agree, if an item isn’t available for everyone to obtain fairly then it shouldn’t be allowed
    spiridon said:

I talked to support about this a while ago, and never heard anything about it again. I totally agree, if an item isn’t available for everyone to obtain fairly then it shouldn’t be allowed

Another good point. I’m going to add that.
  • Bug items make tons of c well idk if its just for fame. But for me yes, bug make illegal! Unfair to us who not owned it XD
  • Lucas The SpiderLucas The Spider U.K, England Member
    YES!!! Anyone who supports bug items only supports them because they own them >.>
  • edited November 2018
    Agreed lucas.
  • lucaaa795lucaaa795 Potatoe's worldMember
    edited November 2018
    I do own some and I do support their existence, not gonna lie.
    However, those items do have a story. They tell a part of cubic castles' history.
    Most of the bugs that I do showcase in my realm The Museum Of Wonders are leftovers from when I was testing the actual bugs. Some were donated though.
    But I do make sure that they are legal to showcase. Not once I had to remove items from the museum because developers disagreed.
    As long as they're harmless, why not let them live?
    The null hat item thing was a different story. It let you see the hats that were unreleased to public yet. Now that was some form of advantage.

They were available to anyone back then. You could have had it if you wanted to and nobody had any right to take it from you as long as it was harmless. Remember the nametag mask? At its peak over 20 players had one. It's just about if you're interested in having them or not.
    Developers won't just spawn such items in your account and tell you to "have fun". They're earned via testing and work. I like to believe that they are the rewards for finding and reporting a bug. I have never received cubits as a reward. If you do report a bug, you do not ask for cubits or hats or whatever. You just report it. Otherwise, you're sick.
    It's all about if you want to go mainstream or niché. I went on an undeveloped niché and I made it a thing. The ""awards"" that my realm won/will win from unofficial ""awarding contests"" go to my raffle, held inside the realm.
    I do support the removal of harmful bugs/bugged items that passed their "filter" but I am against those harmless ones.
    Anyone can find bugs as long as they think outside the box. It doesn't take coding knownledge or a ton of cubits for most of them. Thus, anyone could have their own collection, smaller or bigger.
    There you have it. My 2 cents on this.

FYI: Reporting a bug without evidence to prove that it can actually be made is a waste of time for developers. Some might end up as fake info or just rumours. Testing is a required thing for a complete, nice report about a problem. And if you test something, you end up with a product.
    edited November 2018
    This comment is quoted in Lucaaas next comment.
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    Our basic policy on bugged items is this. As the recipient or creator of a bugged item is not at fault (assuming it was created as the result of a bug) the actual items are not illegal. However, we can't guarantee that bugged items will not be "debugged" in the future. Meaning they should not be considered stable items and may vanish from inventories if the bug related to them is fixed or another issue related to the bug causes them to dissapear. Since players can lose these items at any time we would not recommend paying/trading for them.
    edited November 2018
    I’m at a lost. People can abuse bugs and then report them so they’re the only one that has them. Then sell the bugged items for hundreds of thousands of cubits unfairly? This makes no sense to me, I have a stacked cube at 90 that I can split into 2s and sell 50k a piece? That’s just 2,250,000c, not much. Even at 10,000c a piece I can make well over 750k on my bugged items.

I also want to say, isn’t every person at fault besides the original person that found the bug? Because 99% of the time the person finds out from someone else and makes these bugged items on purpose. They may be using the bug, but it’s not like they accidentally stumbled upon the bug and made them. Also, they can put it into a trash can and it gets rid of the item.

Edit: Keep in mind, these bugged items where worth 20c-1,000c beforehand. The cubes are worth 40c and they have been proved to sell 10k+.

@SirKewberth
    edited November 2018
    Buying/Selling such items is stricly regulated and will most likely result in a ban or a warning.
    As to..
    U said:

lucaaa795 said:

However, those items do have a story. They tell a part of cubic castles' history.
    Most of the bugs that I do showcase in my realn The Museum Of Wonders are leftovers from when I was testing the actual bugs. Some were donated though.
    But I do make sure that they are legal to showcase. Not once I had to remove items from the museum because developers disagreed.
    The null hat item thing was a different story. It let you see the hats that were unreleased to public yet. Now that was some form of advantage.

They were available to anyone back then. You could have had it if you wanted to and nobody had any right to take it from you as long as it was harmless. Remember the nametag mask? At its peak over 20 players had one. It's just about if you're interested in having them or not.
    Developers won't just spawn such items in your account and tell you to "have fun". They're earned via testing and work. I like to believe that they are the rewards for finding and reporting a bug. I have never received cubits as a reward. If you do report a bug, you do not ask for cubits or hats or whatever. You just report it. Otherwise, you're sick.
    It's all about if you want to go mainstream or niché. I went on an undeveloped niché and I made it a thing. The ""awards"" that my realm won/will win from unofficial ""awarding contests"" go to my raffle, held inside the realm.
    I do support the removal of harmful bugs/bugged items that passed their "filter" but I am against those harmless ones.
    Anyone can find bugs as long as they think outside the box. It doesn't take coding knownledge or a ton of cubits for most of them. Thus, anyone could have their own collection, smaller or bigger.

FYI: Reporting a bug without evidence to prove that it can actually be made is a waste of time for developers. Some might end up as fake info or just rumours. Testing is a required thing for a complete, nice report about a problem. And if you test something, you end up with a product.

I realize that these bugs may be harmless, but people sell them with no consequences. You even said yourself people sell them. Keeping them to display is only for the fame, they aren’t helping the game.

You say these bugged items are found from ‘testing and work’. I don’t think you realize that I put in the work to get these bugs fixed so people can’t abuse them. I used to tell you bugs like the nametag mask, and Pious donated you stacked cubes and items that are called ‘item’ because we both thought that it was fine to display them. Then people starting selling them, and I realized I needed to keep these quiet until after they’re fixed. But, this would be so much easier if it was bannable to own them because then there would be no issues like this in the first place.

I want to bring up @spiridon s point. It is not fair for people to own bugged items when everyone else didn’t have the chance to get them. You want to know what happens when everybody didn’t have the chance? They offer thousands upon thousand of cubits to buy them. Like somebody with a broken link recently.

I want to mention, i’m not going to say who sold what bugged items. Because, that would start conflicts.

If I responded in much more detail it would probably just end up getting personal. So, I’ll end it here.

@CosmicCow @SirKewberth @Mabz Have any input?
    Long text, no time or will to reply to all but here we go:
    The sale has been explained above
    You 2 are not the only ones that can find bugs. There are more people out there and if one finds about a bug, he might have found out from someone else or even himself. So stop taking all credit and seem to appear as one-above-all or the-great-master or whatever else.
    On a more personal note, I will not recognize your / pious' donations because I already had those items in my museum. It's just that I did not have 100 red cubes, I had 25. Same story, same thing. Now, wolfstyle officer received credits because he came with something new to the realm. The "item" items have been made by myself to see what could turn and what couldnt in order to fill a more detailed report to the developers.
    Let me repeat. ANYONE had the ability to get one of those bugged items when they were still out there, not fixed. I hope that you realise that mine lasted for so long only because I didnt move them from that realm.
    I guess that there will always be envy lol
    edited November 2018
    This comment is quoted in the next comment.
    edited November 2018
    U said:

lucaaa795 said:

Buying/Selling such items is stricly regulated and will most likely result in a ban or a warning.

As to..

U said:

lucaaa795 said:

Most of the bugs that I do showcase in my realn The Museum Of Wonders are leftovers from when I was testing the actual bugs. Some were donated though.

I realize that these bugs may be harmless, but people sell them with no consequences. You even said yourself people sell them. Keeping them to display is only for the fame, they aren’t helping the game.
    You say these bugged items are found from ‘testing and work’. I don’t think you realize that I put in the work to get these bugs fixed so people can’t abuse them. I used to tell you bugs like the nametag mask, and Pious donated you stacked cubes and items that are called ‘item’ because we both thought that it was fine to display them. Then people starting selling them, and I realized I needed to keep these quiet until after they’re fixed. But, this would be so much easier if it was bannable to own them because then there would be no issues like this in the first place.

I want to bring up @spiridon s point. It is not fair for people to own bugged items when everyone else didn’t have the chance to get them. You want to know what happens when everybody didn’t have the chance? They offer thousands upon thousand of cubits to buy them. Like somebody with a broken link recently.

I want to mention, i’m not going to say who sold what bugged items. Because, that would start conflicts.

If I responded in much more detail it would probably just end up getting personal. So, I’ll end it here.

@CosmicCow @SirKewberth @Mabz Have any input?
    Long text, no time or will to reply to all but here we go:

You 2 are not the only ones that can find bugs. There are more people out there and if one finds about a bug, he might have found out from someone else. So stop taking all credit and seem to appear as one-above-all or the-great-master or whatever else
    On a more personal note, I will not recognize your / pious' donations because I already had those items in my museum. It's just that I did not have 100 red cubes, I had 25. Same story, same thing. The item items have been made by myself to see what could turn and what couldnt in order to report a more detailed problem to the developers.
    Let me repeat. ANYONE had the ability to get one of those bugged items when they were still out there, not fixed. I hope that you realise that mine lasted for so long only because I didnt move them from that realm.
    I guess that there will always be envy lol
    “We would not recommend paying/trading for them” You are fine according to Kewberth, as I would be as well if I sold mine. He said it’s not recommended, but he also didn’t say it’s illegal. I realize that you got a lot of the bugs in your museum on your own, I was just making the point that I don’t share them anymore because they end up being sold. You where just a good example. I didn’t mean to make it come off as we are the only ones that find bugs. But, through past experience every single time I find a bug, and it is shared, it’s abused for personal gain.

Edit: Wolf got credit for the long bumper that me and Pious found. We showed him the bumper and he recreated it. Also, I don’t get credit for the nametag mask. Sounds personal to me. I don’t mind not getting credit, but it seems like you have something personal against me when giving credits.
    Wolf got credit for the fact that he worked his way out and did the "thing" differently. as in more work than just messing with game's chat limit. Again, if he wants to say how he did it, he is free to. But I will not reveal.
    Nothing personal but iirc then you weren't the only one to "tell me". Chat logs and screenshots are long gone but I do believe that because of the multiple sources, nobody should claim the credit.
    I will make it clearer within the museum within next few days.

I appreciate it.

YES!!! Anyone who supports bug items only supports them because they own them >.>

Just saw this, and it’s true. I’m probably the only one that owns bugged items and want it illegal.
  • U said:

Just saw this, and it’s true. I’m probably the only one that owns bugged items and want it illegal.
    ops accidentally multiposted XD
  • Rip lucaaa's museum

U said:

Multiposting is lessened on the forums now.
  • U said:

U said:

Multiposting is lessened on the forums now.
    oh okay then :)