Events

Does anyone else not even bother entering “Official Events” anymore? I feel as if they’re so Biased same people always win, anyways could be just me. Doubt it though, oh well nothing we can do

Comments

• b3achyb3achy Member
    edited November 2018
    I always at least try to do them, especially if it is something I'm interested in trying. Some are beyond my parkour abilities and some topics I'm not overly interested in, but if I'm around and have the time, I always try to enter them. They are fun, and I like seeing my name on that final bumper, when I can get to it.

One thing that you learn about RNG, when you take higher level stats/maths, is that true randomness doesn't always feel very random. We as humans want random to mean equally spaced out (equidistant) or equal chance of being selected. Random is truly random, so sometimes the same numbers/names will be picked sequentially.

Per the building competitions, I know I can't compete with the better builders, so I just build what I like for me.

Per the writing competitions, I've either not had time yet, or I've not been overly interested in the topics yet. Will my writing compete with the winners, who knows, but again, I compete for myself, not for the rewards per se.

The drawing competitions, I've just not had time yet to put the effort in to enter something (I love drawing/painting, etc. but haven't done much with computer graphics/drawing programs). But again, when I enter, it will be more something that I like, and if it wins, so be it; if not, I liked it.

Sometimes the events are more about pushing yourself to be the best you rather than winning the event.

ETA: Sometimes the events are more about enjoying being part of the community and being thankful the CC staff is providing something to do together as a group...winning is icing on the cake, not always the goal.
  • JackFuryJackFury Member
    edited November 2018
    ^ Yep. And b3achy brings up a point: we humans are not good at random. If a person were randomly selecting the numbers and accidentally picked the same one twice in a row, the person would change the number so it's more evenly spaced. Computers (as long as the program is written well) are actually good at what I call "clean random." They aren't biased towards any numbers like we are. On average, when asked to select a number between 1 and 10, humans will almost always choose either 3 or 7 because of the spacing. But the computer will select actual random numbers.
    Examples: Numbers 1-10
    We think this is random: 2,7,3,10,8,9,1,5,4,6. And it very well could be. However, notice that not one number was repeated and none of them were in sequence (e.g., 4,5; 9,10.) That's our bias.
    But when a computer is generating numbers 1-10, it can end up like this:
    1,2,3,7,7,7,7,4,6,9,7,8. Does that look random to you? It doesn't to me, but random means random. Random does not mean "no patterns ever", it simply means "anything".
    The definition of random: "made, done, happening, or chosen without method or conscious decision."
    So simply because someone wins twice or even thrice in a row is not any evidence whatsoever that the raffle isn't random or that the judging is biased, it simply means it is random.
    And not all of the events are raffles; some of them are talent-based. Writing contests, drawing contests, building contests. Let's say we had a writing contest and a building contest back-to-back (which we did.) If someone won first place in both, that doesn't instantly mean biased judging, it could mean that both times their entry was the best one. There's a thought.
    So please take off your tinfoil hat and put away the Conspiracy Theories notebook, for now is not the time my friend :)
    And no, my answer isn't "biased because I won events." I would feel this same way even if I had never won anything.
  • MarieAraMarieAra MexicoMember
    I feel you, Spiri. That's why I decided not to enter events anymore long long ago...
  • JackFury said:

^ Yep. And b3achy brings up a point: we humans are not good at random. If a person were randomly selecting the numbers and accidentally picked the same one twice in a row, the person would change the number so it's more evenly spaced. Computers (as long as the program is written well) are actually good at what I call "clean random." They aren't biased towards any numbers like we are. On average, when asked to select a number between 1 and 10, humans will almost always choose either 3 or 7 because of the spacing. But the computer will select actual random numbers.
    Examples: Numbers 1-10
    We think this is random: 2,7,3,10,8,9,1,5,4,6. And it very well could be. However, notice that not one number was repeated and none of them were in sequence (e.g., 4,5; 9,10.) That's our bias.
    But when a computer is generating numbers 1-10, it can end up like this:
    1,2,3,7,7,7,7,4,6,9,7,8. Does that look random to you? It doesn't to me, but random means random. Random does not mean "no patterns ever", it simply means "anything".
    The definition of random: "made, done, happening, or chosen without method or conscious decision."
    So simply because someone wins twice or even thrice in a row is not any evidence whatsoever that the raffle isn't random or that the judging is biased, it simply means it is random.
    And not all of the events are raffles; some of them are talent-based. Writing contests, drawing contests, building contests. Let's say we had a writing contest and a building contest back-to-back (which we did.) If someone won first place in both, that doesn't instantly mean biased judging, it could mean that both times their entry was the best one. There's a thought.
    So please take off your tinfoil hat and put away the Conspiracy Theories notebook, for now is not the time my friend :)
    And no, my answer isn't "biased because I won events." I would feel this same way even if I had never won anything.

I’m just stating my thought, that’s what indeed the forums are for so if you would be so generous not to tell me to put my “theories” away I’d very much appreciate it. To address your comment, it is very much possible to win raffles multiple times in a row, and to win at building contests etc… but I just find it funny how people win multiple building or “skilled based” things AND raffles multiple times, could be a coincidence but we can never really know, not even you pal and there is always a time to discuss things. Wether you think it is or isn’t is another thing.
  • MarieAra said:

I feel you, Spiri. That's why I decided not to enter events anymore long long ago...

The list never lies :)
  • UU Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    This might be really controversial. But at least the events are way less biased then when Horus and Cortana did them.
  • You wonder why the event winners are typically the same it seems the answer has been provided in this thread, not entering. A majority of people who are winning an event more than once are entering EVERY event without fail. The first event I won was the easter egg hunt in Space's realm. Only about fifty completed the event and if I am correct twenty five orthos were given out. It was essentially a fifty percent chance to win or not. You can't win an event if you don't enter.
  • You wonder why the event winners are typically the same it seems the answer has been provided in this thread, not entering. A majority of people who are winning an event more than once are entering EVERY event without fail. The first event I won was the easter egg hunt in Space's realm. Only about fifty completed the event and if I am correct twenty five orthos were given out. It was essentially a fifty percent chance to win or not. You can't win an event if you don't enter.

I’m not talking about me personally winning in general, it’s the same what 4 people that always win? I don’t bother because it was a constant thing over-and-over again and I’m sure others feel the same way .

spiridon said:

You wonder why the event winners are typically the same it seems the answer has been provided in this thread, not entering. A majority of people who are winning an event more than once are entering EVERY event without fail. The first event I won was the easter egg hunt in Space's realm. Only about fifty completed the event and if I am correct twenty five orthos were given out. It was essentially a fifty percent chance to win or not. You can't win an event if you don't enter.

I’m not talking about me personally winning in general, it’s the same what 4 people that always win? I don’t bother because it was a constant thing over-and-over again and I’m sure others feel the same way .

Keep in mind, Space is doing the contests now, not Cortana and Horus.
  • U said:

spiridon said:

You wonder why the event winners are typically the same it seems the answer has been provided in this thread, not entering. A majority of people who are winning an event more than once are entering EVERY event without fail. The first event I won was the easter egg hunt in Space's realm. Only about fifty completed the event and if I am correct twenty five orthos were given out. It was essentially a fifty percent chance to win or not. You can't win an event if you don't enter.

Keep in mind, Space is doing the contests now, not Cortana and Horus.
    Yes, I’m aware.

MarieAra said:

Oh the magical mythical list ;) it never lies indeed.
  • MarieAra said:

MarieAra said:

Bad thing is that the Excel file got deleted :(
  • I mean i do see a lot of names pop up over and over again but, these are the people who i know that enter every single event. Maybe they add a rule to make it where you can win once per month excluding building/forum events etc. just to get some different names up there but i don't know i don't see this as a big issue except that we have to many events. If they have a event every week then thats 25k(cubit reward) x 15(amount of winners) x 52(weeks in a year) =18,750,000 this is not including any other events. This is to much c that is given away imo.
  • *Joystick**Joystick* Member
    edited November 2018
    For real, if we look closely at the results, several names come back pretty often. It is maybe due to hasard.. However, How to explain that some random players don't win more than twice? Actually, if I refer to my old list you all know, there wasn't any player I didn't know. I won't elaborate a paragraph on the building contests either :)

Personnaly, I would like to see the generated numbers for the raffle-based events. That would be amazing that amongst 400 average players, 5 of them win 4 times..

That's my opinion, wasn't an offense to the job Space does, far from that.
    'Party' said:

Maybe they add a rule to make it where you can win once per month excluding building/forum events etc.

There should be, indeed.. But some will claim that everyone got a chance, everytime.. But yep, I do agree, kinda with you :)
    edited November 2018
    Gives away millions of cubits worth of stuff. Hasn’t won an official event since 2015 Christmas with a krampus. Am I that unlucky? xD
  • U said:

Gives away millions of cubits worth of stuff. Hasn’t won an official event since 2015 Christmas with a krampus. Am I that unlucky? xD

Never won an event since I'm playing (even on my old account, so basically, from 2014 ;-;)

MarieAra said:

MarieAra said:

Bad thing is that the Excel file got deleted :(
    Now that is just so sad! I would always look forward to the updated list :(
  • @space_fetus could we get your opinion on this?
  • I ALWAYS participate in events, and have only missed a few. I personally have only win once. So ofc someone like Jack will win bc he doesn't quit at them. I should win too, and MANY other people, but it's random and limited. Only so many people can win, and anyone can win as long as they have finished. The skill based events are imo sometimes a little biased, but what can Space really do? Not every judging will be perfect, as it takes a lot of time. He can study your build/art/story/poem, and some will appeal to him over others. The thing is, I cheer for other people, not myself. I know that I will NEVER win, as I have terrible luck. That way, the one time that I actually won, I was amazed. That might be a negative way to look at it, but it pays off. I never get upset when I don't win, but my friends do a lot. I hoped Koek would win, and he did. I told Grace that she had it in the bag, and she did. I never will win again, but all of my friends will. Or at least I'll hope for them. Just remember, it's RANDOM.
    Replace every name with an number during building events then get Moderators to choose a number as their favorite.
  • The skill based events are imo sometimes a little biased, but what can Space really do? Not every judging will be perfect, as it takes a lot of time.

How could this be biased since it is raffle-based?

I know that I will NEVER win, as I have terrible luck.

Welcome to the club, but never say never boi since you already won one :)

Or at least I'll hope for them. Just remember, it's RANDOM.

I'm sure it isn't always :D
  • The skill based events are imo sometimes a little biased, but what can Space really do? Not every judging will be perfect, as it takes a lot of time.

That was playing off of the "tell yourself that" thing. And I meant art/build/writing.
  • AshiMagariAshiMagari The internet :PMember
    I have noticed a lot of the raffle winners are the same people, could just be me being paranoid, but it might be time to change your random seed, whoever is pulling winners:P
  • b3achyb3achy Member
    edited November 2018

I have noticed a lot of the raffle winners are the same people, could just be me being paranoid, but it might be time to change your random seed, whoever is pulling winners:P

This is just too funny. So, if someone is number 10 on the bumper for one event, and then number 467 the next event, and those are the two different numbers chosen, the seed needs to be changed because the same person won?! There is the random seed for the RNG, but also remember that the number people get for events is also going to be somewhat random based on their performance for that event...so you actually are getting two sets of randomness for each event...you can't make it much more unbiased as I seriously doubt people are getting the same position on the bumpers for every event. :facepalm:
  • *Joystick**Joystick* Member
    edited November 2018

The skill based events are imo sometimes a little biased, but what can Space really do? Not every judging will be perfect, as it takes a lot of time.

That was playing off of the "tell yourself that" thing. And I meant art/build/writing.
    Oh, okay then :P

Blame random.org xD
  • JackFuryJackFury Member
    edited November 2018
    I've actually only won twice, and recently. They just happened to be expensive prizes. One thing I noticed though is that while several people resented the fact that I won a black meemew from the Short Stories/Poems contest, everyone congratulated my sister, Graceful Thunder, on her win. Why? What makes us so different? I'm not "richer" than her. Just doesn't add up 3:
  • I just see salty people who probably would be singing a different tune if they were on the list of consistent winners :P.
  • I don't enter alot due to lack of time personally or not interested always but I personally enter a few things a year, not always for the prize more so now just for fun, would it be nice to win sure, but honestly if its a parkour or building contest etc it just gives me something different to do :)
  • AshiMagariAshiMagari The internet :PMember
    b3achy said:

This is just too funny. So, if someone is number 10 on the bumper for one event, and then number 467 the next event, and those are the two different numbers chosen, the seed needs to be changed because the same person won?! There is the random seed for the RNG, but also remember that the number people get for events is also going to be somewhat random based on their performance for that event...so you actually are getting two sets of randomness for each event...you can't make it much more unbiased as I seriously doubt people are getting the same position on the bumpers for every event. :facepalm:
    In general, people who are #10 on one event would not be #467 on another. I am consistently around #200 because that is when my schedule allows me to get on. If someone finishes an event in the top 10, you can bet they will do that consistently. (Or at least close to it. There will not ever be a 450 place discrepancy).
  • b3achy said:

In general, people who are #10 on one event would not be #467 on another. I am consistently around #200 because that is when my schedule allows me to get on. If someone finishes an event in the top 10, you can bet they will do that consistently. (Or at least close to it. There will not ever be a 450 place discrepancy).
    Let's say someone won an event and got a prize. Then the next event comes out, and that same person wins again simply because their number was randomly selected by the computer. If the judges were to say "no, that person just won, pick another number," that is bias :O