edited October 2018 in General Chat
@SirKewberth

May I present:

The Plague Mask that Should Not Be Orange

Specimen number 1: Not Orange

Specimen number 2: Not Orange

Specimen number 3: Not Orange

Specimen number 4: Not Orange

Conclusion: Plague Masks are not orange, please change it before the update, thanks.

For those of you asking, "Jack, why would you make a discussion such as this?" And the answer is that I love plague masks. They're creepy and cool and mysterious and I've wanted one in Cubic for a long time. We finally get one, and it would look great if it weren't for one tiny little detail...

It's Orange.

(Black would be great.)

Thank you all for your time. Good day.

Comments

• Thuggie said:
    >OrangeTail will remember that
  • Some are orange...

Saw some that were red, blue, purple, green...all sorts of colors. Frankly the current orange looks closest to leather, which was a common material they were made with...just saying...it's not that bad...though cool idea to have them in different colors, if that is desired by players...
  • JackFuryJackFury Member
    edited October 2018
    b3achy said:

Some are orange...

Saw some that were red, blue, purple, green...all sorts of colors. Frankly the current orange looks closest to leather, which was a common material they were made with...just saying...it's not that bad...though cool idea to have them in different colors, if that is desired by players...

Actually, the image on top is a custom-made steampunk plague mask. None of those existed until recently when people decided to merge steampunk and the bubonic plague. The second one does look more like what they actually wore, but it's still very uncommon (not to mention it's another design entirely and doesn't look like the other masks at all).
    The point of this is that most commonly, the masks were black. Not orange. So it's weird to see an orange one.
    I don't care if we have an orange one, but I do care if we don't have a black one or a white one as well ;)
  • Yeah i agree the plague doctor mask should be black or white. Im guessing the orange is to just match the halloween theme, although the mask in general is already halooween themed. I like it no matter what color it is but i do think it should be white or black to be.
  • CreepuB said:

Yeah i agree the plague doctor mask should be black or white. Im guessing the orange is to just match the halloween theme, although the mask in general is already halooween themed. I like it no matter what color it is but i do think it should be white or black to be.

It just doesn't match anything... :Q:
    It'd be great if we could get a black mask, an orange mask, and a white mask, but I think it's too late now. They're just polishing the update off.
  • This is beautiful. Thanks for my daily haha. I think black would be nice too :3
  • JACK IS LIKE WHY WON"T YOU ALL RALLY BEHIND ME FELLOW FORUMERS! We are over here drooling out of our mouths because like wow an update....XD.
  • Yeah well I just wished it was white because then I would be able to look like SCP 049 in cc. I guess I will have to be an orange one
  • @OrangeTail fight for the plague mask! It should be keep as orange.
  •  gdog gdog Retired Moderator
    edited October 2018
    I don't think its that orange. looks more like pic 4 . like a worn leather look.
    If you despise the colour that much you could change the colour yourself i guess.

This is an actual real plague doctors attire (unlike your 4 pics which are not from the time). This is being shown at a museum near me. Where the plague spread on some textiles shipped from London.
    Great story - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35064071

This photo of Eyam Plague Village Museum is courtesy of TripAdvisor
  • I think having a plain black or white color of it might change the dimension of an object, from a different perspective, unless they are shaded or a bit visible

its like the white and pants shirt but more shaped.

although I would like to see more versions of colors, for a bit of fashion.
  • I'm just here thinking that if it's black it won't go well with executioner masks.
    I just want it less orangey maybe just a dull ginger or make them dye-able in certain colours like the baseball caps
  • Sarco said:

I'm just here thinking that if it's black it won't go well with executioner masks.
    I just want it less orangey maybe just a dull ginger or make them dye-able in certain colours like the baseball caps

Dye-able would be AMAZING.
  • scorto7scorto7 BelgiumRetired Moderator
    Sarco said:

I'm just here thinking that if it's black it won't go well with executioner masks.

Based on what i saw in Gdog's video, this plague doctor mask and the executioner mask seem to go in the same slot, so you can not wear them together.

• scorto7 said:

Sarco said:

Based on what i saw in Gdog's video, this plague doctor mask and the executioner mask seem to go in the same slot, so you can not wear them together.

Now how am I supposed to lol like a real plague doctor D;
  • Ouch
  • LateCom said:

Sarco said:

scorto7 said:

Sarco said:

witch hat + plague doc mask there u go xD
    Eh, maybe. The point of this is that the mask does not match a single hat in he game. That's the biggest problem ;-;
  • Maybe use a texture pack ;)
  • * Anna * said:

Maybe use a texture pack ;)

Heck, even if we do that for ourselves, everyone else will still see that ugly orange hue that the mask originally is.

I would rather spare everyone else’s eyes as well as my own rather than being selfish and hiding the shameful color from myself and myself only.

So yeah, for me a texture pack is a no-go (not to mention constant requirements for texture pack updating).
    JackFury said:

LateCom said:

Sarco said:

scorto7 said:

Sarco said:

Eh, maybe. The point of this is that the mask does not match a single hat in he game. That's the biggest problem ;-;
    Yeah that was plague doctors biggest concern at the time. "Does my mask match my clothes?" lol

It matches actual masks from the period, would be silly to use black or white ones imo as they are nothing like what they wore at the time.

I think they did a great job. It matches what they actually looked like.
  • Bluejay_1Bluejay_1 Member
    edited October 2018
    gdog said:

JackFury said:

LateCom said:

Sarco said:

scorto7 said:

Sarco said:

Yeah that was plague doctors biggest concern at the time. "Does my mask match my clothes?" lol

It matches actual masks from the period, would be silly to use black or white ones imo as they are nothing like what they wore at the time.

hehe, so I guess the devs are pretty good at history. Although there was a mix of colors. I found a 17th century white colored plague doctor. Just saying. But it doesn't matter, orange isn't THAT bad.
  • UU Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    It should of been pink.
  • lucaaa795lucaaa795 Potatoe's worldMember
    U said:

It should of been pink.

Or neon green
    lucaaa795 said:

U said:

It should of been pink.

Or neon green
    Who cares about it looking real. It should of been pink, or a neon color.
  • gdog said:

JackFury said:

LateCom said:

Sarco said:

scorto7 said:

Sarco said:

No, black and white masks are also historically accurate. There are paintings of plague doctors wearing said masks. And just like U said: it's Cubic Castles, it doesn't have to be realistic or historically accurate :)
    I love how this has become a serious discussion, let's continue XD
  • Also it was the dark ages still. They thought stuffing the noses with herbs kept them from getting the black plague. So they would have made them out of any material they had laying around.

But I think a white one would still look better.
    edited October 2018
  • JackFuryJackFury Member
    edited October 2018
    'Sir.Fox' said:

Also it was the dark ages still. They thought stuffing the noses with herbs kept them from getting the black plague. So they would have made them out of any material they had laying around.

But I think a white one would still look better.

Actually, stuffing the beaks with herbs and straw and wearing the suit only protected them a little. The plague masks were worn by "doctors" who did not actually know anything about medicine (not that anyone did in the 14th and 15th century). They were generally ordinary people who decided it would be profitable to be a doctor while the bubonic plague was spreading. The suit was not commonly worn by everyone, only the self-proclaimed doctors wore it. It helped somewhat for diseases that were transmitted through the air, but not so for diseases transmitted by fleas.
    edited October 2018
    JackFury said:

gdog said:

JackFury said:

LateCom said:

Sarco said:

scorto7 said:

Sarco said:

No, black and white masks are also historically accurate. There are paintings of plague doctors wearing said masks. And just like U said: it's Cubic Castles, it doesn't have to be realistic or historically accurate :)
    I love how this has become a serious discussion, let's continue XD
    You were the one that brought realism into it. Saying that none of the masks they wore were orange by showing pictures of masks that weren't worn from the period in question:P
    I simply corrected you by showing actual masks from the period were orange/leather.

It's all in good fun though. If anything this has been educational for those that don't know much about the plague.

Fun Facts about the Plague

- Plague has a case-fatality ratio of 30%-60% if left untreated
    - It was known as the "Black Death" during the 14th Century, causing an estimated 50 million deaths
    - People infected with plague usually develop "flu-like" symptoms after an incubation period of 3-7 days
    - There are three forms of plague infection depending on the route of infection: bubonic, septicaemic and pneumonic. Bubonic, characterised by painful swollen lymph nodes or 'buboes', is the most common form
    - Plague still is endemic in many countries. The three most endemic countries are Madagascar, the Democratic Republic of Congo and Peru
    - In 2013, there were 783 cases reported worldwide, including 126 deaths