CC out of date

I was playing and the server lost connection. I tried to open the game and it said Game is out of date. Now when I try to download the windows version of the updated game, it takes me to Steam. I dont have Steam. What do I do?

Comments

• We plan to discontinue the standalone Windows version of Cubic Castles. It will continue to be available from Steam of course. Frankly, the hacking and malware-false-positives problems make it a net negative for us. (From Cos)

A lot of players are using this version but ofc Steam is free.. The main issue is that some can't handle steam on their computer..
  • KirodashiKirodashi Member
    edited May 2018
    yeah, really sucks. Steam has a lot more limitations.
    Seems we are losing players as a result, only ~400 players on atm.
    I hope the devs can fix this.
  • Kirodashi said:

I'm fairly sure that this was intentional. So, they aren't really going to change/fix this, I think. :P
  • Kirodashi said:

Yea it does really suck. I do not know how to use Steam. Do I need to register, do I need to uninstall windows version, how do I run CC on steam. Holy COW cos wth?

CC says this change is for their security, but what about mine, is steam safe for me and my personal information?

This reminds me of the Robinsons....Big head and tiny arms, not very well thought out.
  • Raizuseku said:

Kirodashi said:

I'm fairly sure that this was intentional. So, they aren't really going to change/fix this, I think. :P
    I meant ‘fix’ as in change it back; seems that this will kill off a large portion of the community, who either don’t want to or can’t download Steam.
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    Steam is used by close to 70 million players every month. (perhaps more now) It's the biggest pc gaming platform. It's free, and will make updating and running cubic castles easier. Even I use Steam when playing the game.
  • Sorry too say but i dont like Steam and im sure im not the only one. And i bet there are alot of kiddos out there that have strict parents...Parents that wil decide which programs they allow their kids too run and i bet a gaming platform like Steam is not one of them.

Just my thoughts. Grtz , Koek
  • Piratax10Piratax10 Member
    edited May 2018
    Kirodashi said:

i don't think this was the reason, this week i just saw 1k players playing... (there's a photo on my profile activity, but it's from 5th may...)
  • Dear @SirKewberth

I too,I dont like steam for play cubic castles...
    many players want it from website , in steam it lag a lot ...

so dear kewberth , can do a questionably ,in news and announcements ,for people vote : who want cc back for website,if it back ,many people will get better
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    There should be no lag in Steam that isn't in the old pc standalone version. The code is the same between the 2 versions. The only way steam could cause you to lag is if you download other games while playing, but steam has that turned off by default.

• Mad Dog GamerMad Dog Gamer Member
    edited May 2018

Dear @SirKewberth

so dear kewberth , can do a questionably ,in news and announcements ,for people vote : who want cc back for website,if it back ,many people will get better

koekenbak said:

Sorry too say but i dont like Steam and im sure im not the only one. And i bet there are alot of kiddos out there that have strict parents...Parents that wil decide which programs they allow their kids too run and i bet a gaming platform like Steam is not one of them.

Kirodashi said:

Raizuseku said:

Kirodashi said:

I meant ‘fix’ as in change it back; seems that this will kill off a large portion of the community, who either don’t want to or can’t download Steam.
    Intimate said:

Kirodashi said:

Yea it does really suck. I do not know how to use Steam. Do I need to register, do I need to uninstall windows version, how do I run CC on steam. Holy COW cos wth?

CC says this change is for their security, but what about mine, is steam safe for me and my personal information?

This reminds me of the Robinsons....Big head and tiny arms, not very well thought out.
    Noent said:

They removed the Windows version from the official cc site, you have to make a steam account and download cc by using steam.

Guys, steam is absolutely free. They only removed the windows download due to malware. Would you want a Trojan Horse malware to rain on your parade? Probably not.

This may be loss of players, but CC doesn't need the game swiped from their hands.

Steam is free. I have it on my windows 10. It may take up space, but only if you have 2-3 games. And, it is completely safe through Norton security. If you have Norton, do a quick scam before and after installing steam. This way your safe.

Edit: Also, do them every so often.
  • extrange but fine ;-;

for many people ( and me too ) we think is better play cc downloaded in website...

so, if can back it to website , should be so better ,and we say a big thanks
  • Dear @SirKewberth

I thought of the same thing but I had hoped they would have done a poll a long time before they just restarted the server and made game play not possible for us.

I have tried to keep up with news on CC and missed the one about windows version being dropped. It was way down on the list. CC does a lot of broadcasts and announcements in game but I don't understand why something this big did not have more coverage. This is what I got in game "SYSTEM: BROADCAST (Cos) We will be doing a server restart in a couple of minutes."

Sir,

You may be a player who uses Steam and it may work well for you. The problem is that you have money for a great PC and you are an adult. This is a kids game though.

I am not allowed to run CC on my phone and unsure yet if I will be able to run through Steam. It is a good thing I don't have real money invested. Speaking of money, I read up some about Steam and for a parent who actually cares what their child does online, it looks like that costs money. I saw a security suite costing $49 a year and a steam wallet which I don't understand.

Piratax10

Since I have been playing (2 months and 2 days) I have not seen more that 900 players online at any time. Right now there are about 400 less players than normal for this time of day. I check that a lot to measure coverages if I need to do a holla.

If I don't get to play anymore, my crops will die and all 40 of meh kitties will miss me.
  • Mad Dog GamerMad Dog Gamer Member
    edited May 2018

extrange but fine ;-;

for many people ( and me too ) we think is better play cc downloaded in website...

so, if can back it to website , should be so better ,and we say a big thanks

If it does go back to the website, it will have tons of malware. Which is dangerous for you and you personal information.
    Intimate said:

Dear @SirKewberth

I thought of the same thing but I had hoped they would have done a poll a long time before they just restarted the server and made game play not possible for us.

I have tried to keep up with news on CC and missed the one about windows version being dropped. It was way down on the list. CC does a lot of broadcasts and announcements in game but I don't understand why something this big did not have more coverage. This is what I got in game "SYSTEM: BROADCAST (Cos) We will be doing a server restart in a couple of minutes."

Sir,

You may be a player who uses Steam and it may work well for you. The problem is that you have money for a great PC and you are an adult. This is a kids game though.

I am not allowed to run CC on my phone and unsure yet if I will be able to run through Steam. It is a good thing I don't have real money invested. Speaking of money, I read up some about Steam and for a parent who actually cares what their child does online, it looks like that costs money. I saw a security suite costing $49 a year and a steam wallet which I don't understand.

Piratax10

Since I have been playing (2 months and 2 days) I have not seen more that 900 players online at any time. Right now there are about 400 less players than normal for this time of day. I check that a lot to measure coverages if I need to do a holla.

If I don't get to play anymore, my crops will die and all 40 of meh kitties will miss me.
    I am 13 by the way.
    If you are under a family plan, you would be able to have it for cheap. Any other security scanner is great, but I prefer Norton. You can only put money on your steam account through credit, debit, or a steam gift card. You may be able to play with your settings and have that removed.

I love Tech and IT, so I understand why cc is doing this. Malware is way more dangerous that a virus or a computer crash.
    There's no fee to run steam. Steamwallet is something you can preload with money to buy games or cubits etc... but you don't have to use it.

Steam, like Cubic Castles, also has parental controls where your parents can restrict it to family-only view, if they're worried about you seeing other games on steam that they don't think are appropriate.
  • I don't see the problem with running it from steam.
    koekenbak said:

Sorry too say but i dont like Steam and im sure im not the only one. And i bet there are alot of kiddos out there that have strict parents...Parents that wil decide which programs they allow their kids too run and i bet a gaming platform like Steam is not one of them.

Though parents may have concern about the content in the steam store, there is still the Family View for parents to control what content can be seen and, to make it more convenient, the game updates in the background. I don't find myself waiting before playing.

Dear @SirKewberth

Lag shouldn't be an issue and neither should installing games. The times where lag may occur is if the system doesn't have enough RAM, your overall connection is slow or what Kewberth said.
    Intimate said:

Kirodashi said:

FYI, this change is for more than just "their security", it's for the game and the players.
    Kirodashi said:

There aren't more limitations. Steam is rather flexible with support for multiple platforms, apps, games and the users. There is also support for offline games and apps meaning that you can still run certain games or applications without limitations.
  • There's no fee to run steam. Steamwallet is something you can preload with money to buy games or cubits etc... but you don't have to use it.

Steam, like Cubic Castles, also has parental controls where your parents can restrict it to family-only view, if they're worried about you seeing other games on steam that they don't think are appropriate.

Thank you, Sir Kewberth.
  •  gdog gdog Retired Moderator
    Steam uses next to zero resources.
    If you can run cc, then you can run cc on steam.

Steam is free there is no barrier to entry.
  • gdog said:

Steam uses next to zero resources.
    If you can run cc, then you can run cc on steam.

Steam is free there is no barrier to entry.

Addition to that, its easier to make an account on the steam website than to on the app itself.
  • Kirodashi : Steam doesn't affect the number of online players at all.. You will see a decreasing of them today and probably for a few days due to this update but nothing to do with Steam itself..

And Intimate, if you play for 2 months you should have noticed that when the easter pack had been released, and bunnyzilla coming, we achieved some pics (I saw 1.4k players one day) so ye =)

• But really,why did you have to do this? You know Steam takes almost like all the space in my device. Plus in the agreement,it says you have to be 13+ to install it. This is also a kids game. I'm only 10.
  • But really,why did you have to do this? You know Steam takes almost like all the space in my device. Plus in the agreement,it says you have to be 13+ to install it. This is also a kids game. I'm only 10.

They removed it due to malware.

And I got steam when I was 9. Just read the terms with a parent or guardian and let THEM decide.

You also have the Android / iOS versions of CC
  •  gdog gdog Retired Moderator
    edited May 2018

But really,why did you have to do this? You know Steam takes almost like all the space in my device. Plus in the agreement,it says you have to be 13+ to install it. This is also a kids game. I'm only 10.

You also have to be 13+ to play this game without parental supervision.
    I'm sure a parent can help you install and make a steam account.

"1. REGISTRATION AS A SUBSCRIBER; APPLICATION OF TERMS TO YOU; YOUR ACCOUNT ⏶

Steam is an online service offered by Valve.

You become a subscriber of Steam ("Subscriber") by completing the registration of a Steam user account. This Agreement takes effect as soon as you indicate your acceptance of these terms. You may not become a subscriber if you are under the age of 13. Steam is not intended for children under 13 and Valve will not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13."
  • gdog said:

But really,why did you have to do this? You know Steam takes almost like all the space in my device. Plus in the agreement,it says you have to be 13+ to install it. This is also a kids game. I'm only 10.

You do?? Oh...broke that rule. I never knew that when I player awhile back.
  • gdog said:

I guess all games that contain in-app purchases have to be supervised by the users' parents if this one is under 13
  • There's no fee to run steam. Steamwallet is something you can preload with money to buy games or cubits etc... but you don't have to use it.

Thank you Sir, this info helps me a lot. I do have parental controls and this info will be useful to setup steam if I am allowed to.

BTW my personal PC is a 64 bit with 8GB ram so it should run well and I hope to see you all soon. I am sure my kitties will be pleased too.
  • gdog said:

I guess all games that contain in-app purchases have to be supervised by the users' parents if this one is under 13
    Never knew that. XD
  • AllunarAllunar Member
    edited May 2018
    Steam has never ever affected my gameplay in a negative way and with 1.5k hours on CC Steam I’ve played roughly 70% of my time playing CC with Steam. If it does negatively effect your game there’s probably something wrong with your computer and not Steam. On that note I also prefer Steam to use because of the overlay but that’s just me.

Steam is a gaming platform and social network run by Valve, it just requires registering and installing and yes it’s free. (I’ve actually had people come up and ask how much it costs.)

Steam profile: https://steamcommunity.com/id/lunayt