A quick video about switches

SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
I made a little video that explains some of the nuances with regards to switches and building with them, since they're a little more complicated than other blocks.

I do plan to make a room off of the cubic learning center with full explanations/examples when they come out, but for now if you're curious about a few details watch this... It's just a quick little video.

Comments

• Y1_s2Y1_s2 Member
    Wow!
  • Nice to know you don't need a million receivers.
  • Nice vid Sir!
    The things that will be added on the learning center will be a very big help.
    :D
  • Looks really good!
  • Sounds like something I could get use to.
  • *Joystick**Joystick* Member
    edited April 2018
    Hype-O-Meter is going up for all of us!
  • scorto7scorto7 BelgiumRetired Moderator
    I can already imagine that tutorials on this update(and what it all does) will be in high demand soon. :)
  • Graceful ThunderGraceful Thunder Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    Can't wait :O
  • I need this now and a tutorial :p and more!
  • Excellent!!! Need I say more?
  • Interesting :P
  • There is so much you can do with this:

It's like deathrun
  • zpinolzpinol MéxicoMember
    Lots of posibilities with this. Disco floor, neon lights, new ways of pvp arenas. (*-*)
  • Hype!
  • *Joystick**Joystick* Member
    edited April 2018
    ZPINOL said:

Lots of posibilities with this. Disco floor, neon lights, new ways of pvp arenas. (*-*)

The first thing that came up is :COOP ADVENTURE MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPS

A question : does the pressure plate works with a shrinked Qbee? Or need 2 to activate it?
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    shrinking doesn't affect plates at present
  •   Ed  Ed Game Moderator
    edited April 2018
    Is it possible to have multiple textures for the levers and the plates such as a dungeon themed or neon theme, etc? If not on the update day maybe in the future? @SirKewberth
  • Ed said:

Is it possible to have multiple textures for the levers and the plates such as a dungeon themed or neon theme, etc? If not on the update day maybe in the future? @SirKewberth

That would be excellent :D
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    It may be possible to do some themed switches in the future. I'm a little reticent to do too many recolor rethemes because texture space is always precious and given the choice it's better to use it up for new blocks. But I can certainly see why you'd want that.
  • this may be a dumb question. but can youy control dungeon doors locks with them?
  • i think no...
    Not at present.. but I'd like to add door locking in the next switch update.
    I don't know if lighting is possible given the restrictions of the engine/device speed -- if we lock doors I'll try to get elevators doors to remain closed as well yes.
  • HONEY BOMBHONEY BOMB Member
    edited April 2018
    Would it remain all time or limited pack?
  • I like the thought of wireless switches and recievers, but what about wired?
    Personally, i like the thought of more controlled switches and recievers, though there are dampeners, wired switches may make room for something more complex, or even sinister >:3

Like, how they're wired, idk yet. Maybe selecting blocks to have wires pass through/on/in them. Applications, also not fully sure, but it may work as a (somehow) cheaper alternative.

It may function as a way to not have most other receivers not trigger without the need for dampeners/allows receivers at longer distances without potentially trigger other receivers (That's assuming that for every 2-5 receivers, there's a dampener in the pack)
  • I like the thought of wireless switches and recievers, but what about wired?
    Personally, i like the thought of more controlled switches and recievers, though there are dampeners, wired switches may make room for something more complex, or even sinister >:3

Like, how they're wired, idk yet. Maybe selecting blocks to have wires pass through/on/in them. Applications, also not fully sure, but it may work as a (somehow) cheaper alternative.

It may function as a way to not have most other receivers not trigger without the need for dampeners/allows receivers at longer distances without potentially trigger other receivers (That's assuming that for every 2-5 receivers, there's a dampener in the pack)
    I do not believe there’s a need to implement what you have suggested at this time, the way they have it now is great, it’s a unique way and if they added wires, it would take away the uniqueness..
  • It could kinda be like Terraria, there's a wrench tool or something that you can use to place wires, and you can only see the wires if you are holding that tool.

I like the thought of wireless switches and recievers, but what about wired?

• I am confused but yet amazed.
    lucaaa795 said:

I don't know if lighting is possible given the restrictions of the engine/device speed -- if we lock doors I'll try to get elevators doors to remain closed as well yes.

dammit. I guess that's one disadvantage of running a game on an engine only a handful of people have access to..
    It has nothing to do with the engine being in-house. It has to do with the limitations of what an iPad can display / do. It's all about the hardware. It's not a limit of what can be coded. It's a limit of what will play well on mobile devices. Newer iphones or top shelf android devices could do it right now but then you'd be cutting out players on older hardware. (insomuch as the game would become unplayable or too slow for them to enjoy)

• GalaGala Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    Nice video!