Linking Doors No Permission Needed

I am not asking for this to be changed but kind of more putting my thoughts out there. I don't really like the fact that a door can be linked to by an outside party without permission. My creations are my creations, they are very close and private to me. I do not want people say be able to create a museum and link any realms I built without my permission. Now you may be thinking what is the problem Grey? Free publicity! Except I am rather odd I guess when it comes to my creations, I don't want them to be known or famous. I want my friends to know they exist and a slow trickle of people who come upon them over time. It is why I have so often built in rooms owned by different people like Hinter. I like having the control of access points to my realms either using the lobby search or world map. It would be nice if in the future there was something like a bumper to disable outside linking.

Comments

• What if the owner of the realm got a pop up if they are online and someone's trying to link their realm to theirs? A confirmation pop up. And if the owner was offline it would say something like "This realm is unavailable in this moment" or something? I think that could work (?)
  • space_fetusspace_fetus Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    Yeah I get what you mean actually. I certainly think owners should have a say.
  • Thank you for remarking on this thread. I know that the intentions are good but it is makes me a sad grey. Any ole joe can create a room with other creations and claim them as their own. Yes a person can do /owner or read potential signs of who is the owner but how many people actually do either. A vast majority of players do not read. I just feel like having to go to a search bumper puts a nice barrier that created disconnection.
  • razak8razak8 Member
    edited December 2017
    i am pretty sure this would remove the use of food bumper intime, unless the permission option is added
  •  gdog gdog Retired Moderator
    I was mixed on this at first but I'm coming round to the idea that anyone can link if they wish. It's no different than searching on the lobby bumper right?
    In fact if your realm hasn't been accessed via a lobby bumper in 30days they won't have the option to link.
    Especially since the /owner command was added you won't get people claiming they are made by them etc.

You don't want your builds to be linked you have 2 options.
    1, Build them in rooms as people can't link to those.
    2, Keep them locked or friends only.

I do think part of what makes this game great is the ability to easily visit realms of any kind, this makes that easier. So yeah I am all for it now but i do appreciate your concerns.
  • yeah me too, its just like just the bookmark option mods have, its too much usefull
    RazaK8 said:

yeah me too, its just like just the bookmark option mods have, its too much usefull

Ermm not sure what bookmark option you think we have but we don't have a bookmark option.
  • edited December 2017
    Speaking from a standpoint of art, the artist controls how the art is distributed. For example lets say a company liked a graphic design they would not be able to legally mass print the design without permission from the artist/buying the rights to the design. Any builder is an artist and people like me invest considerable time into builds. I should have the right to control how my creation is distributed and accessed. I am for the game having easier access to realms but that should be the creators choice not a broad sweeping decision. I know that many builders will not mind their creations being shared but for those like me it feels as if a key to my house has been freely given out.

Maybe I will adjust to it in time >:)!
    edited December 2017

Speaking from a standpoint of art, the artist controls how the art is distributed. For example lets say a company liked a graphic design they would not be able to legally mass print the design without permission from the artist/buying the rights to the design. Any builder is an artist and people like me invest considerable time into builds. I should have the right to control how my creation is distributed and accessed. I am for the game having easier access to realms but that should be the creators choice not a broad sweeping decision. I know that many builders will not mind their creations being shared but for those like me it feels as if a key to my house has been freely given out.

Maybe I will adjust to it in time >:)!

Yeah i hope you will. You still have those 2 options available.
    Also you analogy you make falls apart as everything you build and create in this a game is the property of cosmic cow games.

Just lock your realms or set them to friends only if its that much of an issue to you man.
    Or build in rooms which is much cheaper anyway. I don't get why you can't do one of these things. It just seems strange that you want some people to visit but not lots.

Another option you have if say someone you really don't like links or hell if anyone links you can wait til they enter your realm and then ban them from realm. This will stop them coming through said door.

I don't like the idea of the bumper because i just think everyone would get it and it'd totally devalue the link stamp. It could end up with people say buying a bunch of link stamps and then finding they've wasted their cubits as they can't link.
  • Without privacy of mind you will lose the self, so I understand your worries...

But I think Haborym's idea was pretty perfect: send a prompt to the owner and let them accept or decline. Though, if an owner is offline, maybe they could still receive a prompt whenever they login?

i.e. to make it work: a link stamp can be placed but the portal would be inactivate/locked until the owner of the linked room accepts the link.
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    edited December 2017
    We considered this before adding link doors, and I can sort of understand how it may in some cases be objectionable to have people you don't want linking to you. So maybe an option should be added to not allow linking.

However, our basic view of it and why we didn't complicate this first version with extra permissions, was...

1) you can only link to things that are already accessible via the lobbies - ie these realms can already be accessed publically

2) We saw it as similar to creating a link to a web page from another web page, which is generally an action that is not blocked.

Now as Gdog pointed out there are options to stop people from linking, but these are things that would prevent you from linking to yourself, and which wouldn't apply to older creations.

Oh just to add -- links can only go to MAIN realm doors... so if you block the main door to your realm and just stick a portal in there to access it in some other way you choose then the realm is not linkable. (but also not accessible from the lobby or overworld)