My belated gripes about Farming

BJDwareBJDware Down underMember, Retired Moderator
1. Sprinklers.
If you, like me, have decided to use Large Sprinklers for your farm, you will have noticed this. Using large sprinklers with a crop space of 500 leaves you with uneven spaces such as this..

To counter this, max crops per room needs to be extended from 500 to 512. Or the very least, 504.

2. Purchasing multiple Livestock.
Ever wanted to purchase more than 1 cow or such? Then you will have felt my pain here. Attempting to buy 5 , 15, or even 30+ of an animal will result in constant dialog and hopping up and down.

Would be very lovely if multiple purchases was an option.

3. Livestock innabox's.
You finally recieved your livestock perks! Now to place them all! Wait...
You can have 15 Chickens, 15 Cows, 15 Pigs.
But you can only place 30 Innabox's per room?
Well fair enough.

If the amount of innaboxes cannot be extended to 45, then placing more than the limit per realm should be denied altogether, or at the least a warning message.
As it stands now, you can place as many as you like, but beyond thirty does not spawn.

4. Soil placement pop-up.
It may be just me, but i find this message severely annoying..
I Don't have an issue with the message itself as it makes sense to advise players, just how it can constantly pop up, and the duration it sits on the screen.

I Would personally like to see it having the same pop-up as dropping objects.
Showing up once in chat as a "System reminder".

5. Attractor VS Sprinklers.
Not really a biggie, just something worth mentioning.
-Pulling crops with attractor will result in crops landing "on top" of sprinklers. Making players jump for them when collecting.

-Pulling crops with attractor disabled will result in crops landing within sprinklers. This works better as players simply walk over the sprinklers to grab these fallen crops.

Be nice if attractor fallen crops shared the same mechanics as those without attractor.

6. Crop death.
Already covered via other topics even with developers reply, but worth including here just as a honorable mention.
http://forums2.cubiccastles.com/index.php?p=/discussion/16908/dieing-of-crops-not-good-for-casual-players

Gripe session over. :P

Comments

• I bet these issues really ware on your nerves >:D! I find all points 1-5 very agreeable and it be nice the stated issues were fine tuned to make them better! I especially want to be able to put forty five animals in a room, it be a complete zoo! Then my hordes of farm animals and I could take over the world >:O!
  • I bet these issues really ware on your nerves >:D! I find all points 1-5 very agreeable and it be nice the stated issues were fine tuned to make them better! I especially want to be able to put forty five animals in a room, it be a complete zoo! Then my hordes of farm animals and I could take over the world >:O!

Support you but bet won't make you better :3
  • I'll add my gripes too:

Crop death sucks. If your internet goes down or there is something else that happens that you can't control then you lose too much. Also, I don't like the stress of having to care for something so attentively in a game. Games are supposed to be fun - not work and stress.

So, I think we need to be able to use necro wands or some new potion that can revive them... so we can have peace of mind knowing that all will not be lost.

And my main annoyance (a part from 2500 crops being too dang many crops) is how the growth and watering timers run simultaneously - I hate it.

Instead, I would like only one timer to run at a time:
    -If a seed or plant is in dry soil then a 24 hour "dry soil timer" begins and the crop will die if it is not watered before the timer ends.

-If a seed or plant is watered then the "dry soil timer" ends and a "wet soil timer" begins.

-At the end of the "wet soil timer" the plant matures to its next stage of growth, the soil dries up, and the "dry soil timer" starts over.

-If a crop is harvested the "dry soil timer" ends.

-If a block is mined any active timer for said block is removed.

-Wet soil should not be able to be watered again as that would restart the "wet soil timer" and waste water.
  • Giant_ said:

I'll add my gripes too:

Crop death sucks. If your internet goes down or there is something else that happens that you can't control then you lose too much. Also, I don't like the stress of having to care for something so attentively in a game. Games are supposed to be fun - not work and stress.

So, I think we need to be able to use necro wands or some new potion that can revive them... so we can have peace of mind knowing that all will not be lost.

And my main annoyance (a part from 2500 crops being too dang many crops) is how the growth and watering timers run simultaneously - I hate it.

-If a seed or plant is in dry soil then a 24 hour "dry soil timer" begins and the crop will die if it is not watered before the timer ends.

-If a seed or plant is watered then the "dry soil timer" ends and a "wet soil timer" begins.

-At the end of the "wet soil timer" the plant matures to its next stage of growth, the soil dries up, and the "dry soil timer" starts over.

-Wet soil should not be able to be watered again as that would restart the "wet soil timer" and waste water.

Have to disagree on the work or stress part, how will you get something without working?
  • b3achyb3achy Member
    edited December 2017
    Giant_ said:

I'll add my gripes too:

Agree with this and BJDWare's comments.

Totally agree that for a casual game, having to log in daily to do something is really annoying. I'm all about hard work to earn nicer things, but if you don't luck out and get the technical perks early, you can't place sprinklers to deal with the daily log-in requirement that farming demands. I've never been a fan of games/aspects of games that required me to log in daily as some weeks, I'm really busy in RL or I'm on travel. Seems a bit too Zynga-ish to me. I pretty much lost a week of crop farming as I knew a Hurricane was coming, so I didn't plant crops as I wasn't sure I'd have the ability to log in to water them. And as expected, I lost power for a few days, so I am glad I didn't plant crops else I would have lost all those recubes from their death.

I've said from the start that the crop death was going to be an issue and recommended some way to revive them early on (either through asking friends to revive/water or having a revive potion like in other games).

I agree, being able to do 2500 crops is seems way too much. But I have to wonder if having 15 of each animal is a bit much too (maybe only 10 each to match the realm limit)...but I'm not there yet for either crops or animals, so maybe when I get there, I'd want that much.

Agree that a more streamlined way to purchase things for farming would help, especially animals. The seed bundles helped for the crop farmers...need something better for ranchers.

And I appreciate your timer explanation better as it makes more sense than the current explanations (though I think the current way is pretty close to this now given they loosened up the death rate to be a bit more than 24 hours...but you are right, they do run concurrently). The only thing I'd disagree on is that I think it's okay if the wet soil timer restarts if you water even when when the soil is still wet. No real issue other than wasting water, but sometimes I want to reset the timer to a better time of day for me to come back.

Have to disagree on the work or stress part, how will you get something without working?

Many of us have enough real life stress/work, so why provide extra in a casual game? I don't disagree with working to get things you want, but when the game adds a mechanic that forces something on you (like a daily log-in requirement that might be unrealistic for some players), I have to disagree with it.

• Have to disagree on the work or stress part, how will you get something without working?

By work and stress I meant drudgery; work that over stresses the mind or body. This is what progress is for: to overcome stress. Change the game and make it less of a risk, so in a worse case scenario (your internet goes out for a few days) you don't lose 2500 fairy crops at no fault of your own. Does the loss of 2500 crops answer your question?

Despite what you may think, a risk does not need to match its reward.
  •  gdog gdog Retired Moderator
    edited December 2017
    Giant_ said:

By work and stress I meant drudgery; work that over stresses the mind or body. This is what progress is for: to overcome stress. Change the game and make it less of a risk, so in a worse case scenario (your internet goes out for a few days) you don't lose 2500 fairy crops at no fault of your own. Does the loss of 2500 crops answer your question?

Despite what you may think, a risk does not need to match its reward.
    No way anyone is growing fairy crops without sprinklers.
    250000 recubes it would cost to plant that many fairy crops.
    You really expect anyone to believe that they still water their farm by hand when having that amount of recubes.
    This is a fictitious scenario.

Lots of free to play games have daily log in requirements.

If you really have that bad of an internet provider that you can't get on once every 24hours then I think its your isp you want to be having a go at not this game.

You should invest in sprinklers early on. I built up my farms slowly.
    I had 3 farms with sprinklers before I had 5 farms.
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    Some good points here and we will eventually adjust farming to try and make it a little more friendly, in particular with the watering/withering. Not 100% sure when though, as there's a lot going on right now just trying to get the winter update out.
  • CanItBeDoneCanItBeDone The Universe; The Milky Way Galaxy; The Solar System; Earth; North AmericaMember
    Just my little opinion, but if you can handle a farm with 2500 crops... then don't. Do something in your capacity, no one is asking you to stress yourself out.
  • gdog said:

No way anyone is growing fairy crops without sprinklers.
    250000 recubes it would cost to plant that many fairy crops.
    You really expect anyone to believe that they still water their farm by hand when having that amount of recubes.
    This is a fictitious scenario.

Lots of free to play games have daily log in requirements.

If you really have that bad of an internet provider that you can't get on once every 24hours then I think its your isp you want to be having a go at not this game.

You should invest in sprinklers early on. I built up my farms slowly.
    I had 3 farms with sprinklers before I had 5 farms.

It's an unlikely scenario but it's not impossible. The reason I gave a worse case scenario, if you can understand the analogy, was to color in the grey that might otherwise appear white (this is typically why people give worse case scenarios - to make clear a comparison of things).

Someone might grow fairy crops without sprinklers because they do not want to spend recubes and/or cubits for them while the prices are still unstable and falling. e.g. Selling crops when they were worth much more early on, instead of reinvesting in soil and/or sprinklers, a person could gain more profit than those who reinvestment early on (those who reinvested early on will not be able to recoup the loss of potential profits). How do I know? Because I made over 400k from selling crops early on (I'm at around 500k now), as apposed to some of my friends who have yet to make so much profit (because they reinvested when prices of soil and sprinklers were high and they lost that value due to recube inflation / price of soil and sprinklers lowering).

I didn't mean that my isp is so bad that I normally can't login - I meant that maybe something happens that causes it to go down for a few days. Maybe someone uses a backhoe and digs up the line and it takes a couple of days for the isp to repair it, maybe there's a tornado and it destroys the isp hub, or maybe there is some other "act of God" - the point is that, due to unforeseen circumstances, a player could, at no direct fault of their own, lose unfair amounts of crops/recube. That is, as of now, there's is a great potential for loss (that is not directly the player's fault), there is no insurance against it (no way to revive withered crops), and that creates stress.

I might invest in sprinklers later... For now, I'll wait and see what the prices do. (I don't want to gamble on an investment.)
  • BJDwareBJDware Down underMember, Retired Moderator
    edited December 2017
    Was not my intention to relive the crop death discussion, hence why i linked a topic to it. Everything needed to be said was said upon that topic.

Besides that, the biggest thing i would love see changed is the realm limit for crops. Those like me using large sprinklers have an uneven pattern.
    I Have tried splitting a room into four sections with the intention of growing four different crops within said room. But one section will grow 12 crops less and requires one small sprinkler to get the room to 500 crops. A Little irritating imo.
  • BJDware said:

Was not my intention to relive the crop death discussion, hence why i linked a topic to it. Everything needed to be said was said upon that topic.

Besides that, the biggest thing i would love see changed is the realm limit for crops. Those like me using large sprinklers have an uneven pattern.
    I Have tried splitting a room into four sections with the intention of growing four different crops within said room. But one section will grow 12 crops less and requires one small sprinkler to get the room to 500 crops. A Little irritating imo.

You can split the 500 soils in 4 with each section less 3 soils by using all large sprinklers, does that help?
  • BJDware said:

I noticed the 512 crops thing when I built my farm either, I was going to make a post but I found a solution for it.