Moderators (Please read)

This thread is here to discuss about this situation, it’s not about having a fight. Thank you

We all know to become a mod you have to be 17+ because that’s when you’re mature.
Pros:
-Mature mods and full of responsibilities.
-They are technically grown ups, they know how to handle a situation better than young players.
•if you know any other Pros please leave a comment below•

Cons:
-They are busy with University and sometimes work.
-they will come home after a long day at work/uni tired, they won’t have the time to open cc... (not saying that mods who work and study at uni are lazy, don’t get me wrong)
-i know many amazing and mature friends who got visited by a dev and asked to become a mod, but age/university prevented them from becoming one...

•i’m here to discuss the pros and cons list, as i said just DISCUSSING...
What do YOU think?

Comments

• Professional KillerProfessional Killer GreeceForum Moderator, Retired Moderator
    I don't really know what this thread is about. Being 17+ to become a mod is a necessity in my opinion, and I wouldn't really like to see kids or pre-teens getting that position for numerous of reasons. No matter if a moderator goes to university, school or work, they would all have to deal with way too much stress, that such power and stress, as mentioned, could affect their grades and well being, as moderator position, whether it is Game or Forums, carries too much responsibility and requires that you deal with issues appropriately and properly. Thus why most of our current mods are older than 20+, despite the fact that we have few that are less than 20, and still do their job well. That is all I had to say about the maturity and age part.
    As of being tired part, moderators do not have to be 24/7 in front of their PCs moderating. Developers are fully aware of that, and that's why we have moderators from all over the world, and not from one place specifically, to suit all timezones. Moderators accept to represent the game themselves, therefore they may have to sacrifice a bit of their time to moderate the game.
    Don't get me wrong on that, I have had conversations with certain mods about all this, and from my perspective, I had to become over 18 to get modded here, thing that I truly understand for the reasons mentioned above.
  • Alright thank you i get your point
  • MarieAraMarieAra MexicoMember
    I both agree and disagree, people who are 18+ have a lot more to do and are all around busier, they won't have as much free time as someone who is still in high school but they are way more mature. Not saying that all people under that age aren't, I know people younger than me who are a thousand times more mature than myself, but there's topics which they just shouldn't have to deal with at all.
    Before turning the legal age, your parents are in charge of the decisions that concern you, so "legally" you can't sign an agreement to become a mod until you are an adult.
    Sometimes the things mods have to deal with just aren't meant for the faint at heart, people are inappropriate and say/do things which aren't nice to see at all, and I'm sure the devs don't want younger peeps to see any of that. Not because they don't think younger people aren't ready, but because they wanna protect them from such situations as much as possible, thus, why mods have to be adults.
  • Professional KillerProfessional Killer GreeceForum Moderator, Retired Moderator
    MarieAra said:

I both agree and disagree, people who are 18+ have a lot more to do and are all around busier, they won't have as much free time as someone who is still in high school but they are way more mature. Not saying that all people under that age aren't, I know people younger than me who are a thousand times more mature than myself, but there's topics which they just shouldn't have to deal with at all.
    Before turning the legal age, your parents are in charge of the decisions that concern you, so "legally" you can't sign an agreement to become a mod until you are an adult.
    Sometimes the things mods have to deal with just aren't meant for the faint at heart, people are inappropriate and say/do things which aren't nice to see at all, and I'm sure the devs don't want younger peeps to see any of that. Not because they don't think younger people aren't ready, but because they wanna protect them from such situations as much as possible, thus, why mods have to be adults.

Wholeheartedly agreed.
  • CanItBeDoneCanItBeDone The Universe; The Milky Way Galaxy; The Solar System; Earth; North AmericaMember
    MarieAra said:

I'm a bit confused, considering that the moderators position isn't technically a "job," rather a status, can't you make the decision yourself?
  • MarieAraMarieAra MexicoMember

MarieAra said:

I'm a bit confused, considering that the moderators position isn't technically a "job," rather a status, can't you make the decision yourself?
    It is a status indeed, but the things that mods have to deal with are sometimes very disturbing, innapropriate, and stressful; it would be unethical to subject someone who is not an adult to that type of situation without legal consent, which they can't give themselves until they become adults.
  • CanItBeDoneCanItBeDone The Universe; The Milky Way Galaxy; The Solar System; Earth; North AmericaMember
    MarieAra said:

MarieAra said:

It is a status indeed, but the things that mods have to deal with are sometimes very disturbing, innapropriate, and stressful; it would be unethical to subject someone who is not an adult to that type of situation without legal consent, which they can't give themselves until they become adults.
    Understandable :)