Maybe a new chat filter?

UU Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
edited November 2017 in Suggestions & Comments
So what if the chat filter removed everything except letters (including spaces) and then read the sentence for curse words. That would solve the issues of people putting spaces in curse words, periods, commas, etc.

For example. (Pretend chips is a curse word) You’re a c.hip! The chat filter would read it as You’reachip and block out chip making it You’re a ——!

I’m not sure if this would work, or if there would be flaws, so please leave your views in a comment below!

Comments

• yeah... but it will be a mess for other languages

I put this in spoiler because it contains bad words

In France we say for example : "J'en ai assez" (I have enough of it) We actually have to write "as.sez" or "as sez" because without " " or ".", it would contains "ass" and be blocked. So...

Maybe I misunderstood it... :/
  • UU Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator

yeah... but it will be a mess for other languages

In France we say for example : "J'en ai assez" (I have enough of it) We actually have to write "as.sez" or "as sez" because without " " or ".", it would contains "ass" and be blocked. So...

Yeah, there is downsides for other languages but removing a s instead of putting a . might be a little easier I guess, or maybe not.
  • *Joystick**Joystick* Member
    edited November 2017
    U said:

yeah... but it will be a mess for other languages

Yeah, there is downsides for other languages but removing a s instead of putting a . might be a little easier I guess, or maybe not.
    It may be bothering : "Caser" (to put something in a case / box) isn't the same as "casser" (break)

And of course extended to other languages
  • Words that happen to have curse words in them would then be partially blocked...like assume would become ***ume. Also, it may result in some chat lag as the original spacing/wording would have to be stored in memory, checked against the bad word list, and then the correct wording pattern would have to be sent to the screen.

A Regex list might be more effective than a straight bad word list. But implementing an algorithm to do a regex check might result in some chat lag as well.
  • b3achy said:

Words that happen to have curse words in them would then be partially blocked...like assume would become ***ume. Also, it may result in some chat lag as the original spacing/wording would have to be stored in memory, checked against the bad word list, and then the correct wording pattern would have to be sent to the screen.

A Regex list might be more effective than a straight bad word list. But implementing an algorithm to do a regex check might result in some chat lag as well.

I agree with b3achy, that could work, but it would cause lag in the server, because it would have to do so much at once. Cc already has a regex list in the game files though.
  • This is a cool idea, but still the switch of lowercase "L" for uppercase "i" for some words *^^*
    But that might not be fixable.