Chickens are.. erm.. big chickens?

BJDwareBJDware Down underMember, Retired Moderator

Some may have realized by now, that chickens will wander in the opposite direction of players. I Have my "Farm" within a 99x99 rooms, and i have my chickens fenced in a nice little yard off to the side. If i stand/wander on the other side of the room for a while, then decide to pay my chickens a visit.. i find them huddled in the corner of their pen like there's a Qbee running around with a Fox outfit donned.

Sure, i like the idea of chickens doing such a thing.. and i may be being a little anal-retentive here, but could the range be reduced to perhaps 6 squares away? They have better eyesight than me at this stage! Or a sixth sense.. and i like to be able to sneak up on my fried chicken and observe them exploring their pen without watching the huddled mass of drumsticks in the corner. O.O

No?

Comments

• I had a pet reallife chicken named Drumsticks....:O

I agree, even though I havent had it happen chickens aren't always afraid of people...qbees. They can be friendly pets :P

Maybe they get used to us over time, like a week then they don't run away?
  • CanItBeDoneCanItBeDone The Universe; The Milky Way Galaxy; The Solar System; Earth; North AmericaMember

I had a pet reallife chicken named Drumsticks....:O

I agree, even though I havent had it happen chickens aren't always afraid of people...qbees. They can be friendly pets :P

Actually that would be pretty nice! Having friendly pets, but will it be scared of other Qbeez @-@?

~

• I had a pet reallife chicken named Drumsticks....:O

Actually that would be pretty nice! Having friendly pets, but will it be scared of other Qbeez @-@?

~

Hmm, maybe for each qbee if you spend time with it (time in the realm maybe?) It'll get used to you, and it won't run away. Maybe it would even follow you, but that might be too similar to pets...
  • CanItBeDoneCanItBeDone The Universe; The Milky Way Galaxy; The Solar System; Earth; North AmericaMember

I had a pet reallife chicken named Drumsticks....:O

~

Hmm, maybe for each qbee if you spend time with it (time in the realm maybe?) It'll get used to you, and it won't run away. Maybe it would even follow you, but that might be too similar to pets...
    Well, it seems like a neat idea, I'm all for it :3
  • Wandering FoxWandering Fox Member
    edited November 2017
    BJDware said:

If i stand/wander on the other side of the room for a while, then decide to pay my chickens a visit.. i find them huddled in the corner of their pen like there's a Qbee running around with a Fox outfit donned.
    Um, BJDWare...I am here to assure you that I am not on the hunt for chickens right now. I would only eat them cooked, not raw ;-;

I will take this as an innocent misunderstanding *^^*
  • BJDware said:

Some may have realized by now, that chickens will wander in the opposite direction of players. I Have my "Farm" within a 99x99 rooms, and i have my chickens fenced in a nice little yard off to the side. If i stand/wander on the other side of the room for a while, then decide to pay my chickens a visit.. i find them huddled in the corner of their pen like there's a Qbee running around with a Fox outfit donned.

Sure, i like the idea of chickens doing such a thing.. and i may be being a little anal-retentive here, but could the range be reduced to perhaps 6 squares away? They have better eyesight than me at this stage! Or a sixth sense.. and i like to be able to sneak up on my fried chicken and observe them exploring their pen without watching the huddled mass of drumsticks in the corner. O.O

No?
    And they also move like a ninja.
    the glitch like a boss
  • BJDwareBJDware Down underMember, Retired Moderator
    What about the other farm animals? Do they all share the same issue?
  • BJDware said:

What about the other farm animals? Do they all share the same issue?

Cows and pigs do this as well
  • Had chickens for ages now and all of mine still do it, my cows ran away from me at first but my eldest one which is almost an adult now has suddenly started following me whereas all of the calves don't. It would be nice if chickens fid the same time, run away at first then after a while follow you around
  • BJDwareBJDware Down underMember, Retired Moderator
    @SirKewberth kinda curious as to your thoughts on this.
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    This is actually kind of complicated. Initially the animals wandered around randomly and had no reaction to qbees at all. But I found this caused them to always huddle in the corners of pens because of a side effect of edges and randomness. Adding reaction to players actually improved this. So I COULD reduce the range but you'd still get this grouped effect for a different reason. I suppose I could just reduce the range and see how it goes and if you prefer it that way. It's not hard to try but I'm not sure if it will be an overall improvement.