Scam or Not?

DemonismDemonism SingaporeMember
For example, a player put a vending machine and set the price to 250 Cubits. Inside the vend, there is a witch hat, pumpkin head, bottomless stamp and many more rares. However, below all these are just big junks. Silver ores, mountain blocks, scaffold...

Is this a scam? Because I'm sure that in order for people to get the rares, they have to spend tons of cubits buying the other junk first.

=SIR.SCAFOLDER= and I have been debating about this. He is certain that it is not a scam and calls it overpricing of items. He also said that scorto7 the moderator could vouch for him.

I thought it was a scam. The purpose of the vending machine was clearly to cheat cubits. And honestly, it is very similar to a payaway. Except, this payaway is using a vending machine.

So what are your thoughts? Scam or not?

Comments

• It might be a scam

Example: If the person priced it to 50c and there was a junk in vends and at the end of item was a rare item, the owner might probably grab the vend and get all the cubits before reaching the rare item.
  • I would consider that not to be a scam per se as you are not forced to buy anything. BUT if they announced they had a specific item, and you can’t buy it without spending money on the ones ahead of it, I would consider that false advertising and I would report them via the report button.

I have noticed that a lot of shop owners have multiple different items in vending machines, and you must wait for someone to buy the 'first' item before you can get the next one. I would suggest that everyone boycott these shops and only shop from vendors who sell single items or multiples of the same item in their machines. If they lose business they will discontinue the practice.

For a nice example of a shop, I suggest Juce's Best Shop. This shop has everything. The prices are good, and there is no crazy stacking as described above, My mall is the same. I have several cowls in one machine, but they are all the same price and can be dyed if you get a color you don’t like. I’ll even dye it for you! But I don’t put different items into the same machine. I think that’s wrong.
  • Since there's a price and a name, there's no scam.

Everyone has to be carefull; it's same IRL.
    We just could say that someone is trying to scam when man holla for a stuff that wont be in first position in the vend....but once more, be carefull. Everyone will have to leave "mama shield" a day.
  • SidddSiddd UKMember, Game Moderator
    Seen this many times and every time there is malicious intent. Usually just about when all the junk is gone the owner will remove the vend. Just because it shows the name, doesn't make this any less a scam, it just means there is some protection against it.

I would urge everyone to be careful etc etc but IMO the users here on the forum are more or less fully aware, it's unfortunately the more naive/ younger player population that fall for such scams and it's very tricky to educate them.
  • It is a scam because you say you're selling for example:
    "Angel wings 1k!!!"
    Then when they quickly buy them without looking at the confirmation screen, They get a footprint. Some might say that its not a scam because you're just overpricing an item in the vends, but if you're the one who bought it without reading, I bet you would be claiming you've been scammed
  • DemonismDemonism SingaporeMember
    If only you could only set up one item in a vending at once.
  • SidddSiddd UKMember, Game Moderator

Or only the same items in one vending (You can have 10 krampus masks OR 10 piles of 10k dirt but not both in the same vend)
  • DemonismDemonism SingaporeMember
    edited October 2017
    Siddd said:

Or only the same items in one vending (You can have 10 krampus masks OR 10 piles of 10k dirt but not both in the same vend)
    Yeah, maybe a cooldown after the vending price change/gets placed will help too. This way, the buyers will have time to look at what they are buying before accepting. Cause sometimes the price of the item in the vend may be really cheap and people just constantly buy without looking at the price.
  • They may do like this
    They put some trash before the rare and set the price
    But, between the trash and rare, they put footprints or flowers! So the player spends many cubits before discovering its a scam.