Developer Diary Video 1

2»

Comments

• UU Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    Nice video!

Have some coffee! ☕️
  • edited September 2017
    Thanks Kewberth for sharing :)! It makes you seem more like you are a real person and it makes us feel more connected. I just wanted to thank you for all your hard work and really improving how you approach the community. We appreciate the fine balance of being a developer but also a member of the community by answering our questions, listening to our suggestions, and catering to our wishes. It is clear to me what value you have is not only for CC but us as well.

You handle us well even though we are a very fickle bunch. The ways you have been connecting with us remind us that there is a person on the other side and to be more considerate. You show us that you are working hard for the game that we may go a little crazy over. I can't thank you enough for your kindness, patience, and dedication. You have provided us all a sanctuary and a home where we can meet people from all different walks of life.

• RexguyRexguy IdahoMember
    Aw I love this!!! I'm glad I finally have a voice that I can identify with cubic castles!
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    Eagence said:

And also does all this means .modl files kinda like packed versions of .obj files storing 3d sculpted versions of blocks/items ? which also call specific UV textures from other files... Does this .modl file format is actually a thing or kinda like a "made up file format"? In other words, if I google search .modl to .obj converter do I find anything usefull online ^^ ... (I guess I don't, don't I ? ...) Does changing .obj file content of .modl possible for us? And also what does .dyna files do then? The addressing of relevant textures location in UV-packs for each .obj ?

You can look up the format of obj files. It's available online and not really a secret. So the thing with them is that they're not super efficient and they store all kinds of things we don't need. They're also text files so the loader has to read the text, parse it, and output some kind of internal format the video card can display. This process is time consuming, and for many models it will add up and make loading the game slower.

Modl is our own format. So yes it's "made up" and you won't find information on it online. There is no obj contained in an modl. We load the objs into our own internal format and resave them as binary. So when the game loads a model it just loads the binary data and it's already in the format the game uses. No extra parsing or tweaking is required at that point.

It is not possible to easily edit the modl files. Technically you could tweak numbers in there using some kind of file editor, and change models on your own copy of cubic the way people change textures sometimes, but it would be difficult and require trial and error, and could cause your game to crash or bug out, so I doubt it's worth the effort to do that.

Dyna files are somethign Betamax developed to allow us to update data in the game on the fly without having to push a new client every time. So if I wanted to just say... change the color of a hat and do nothing else, that wouldn't require a new client. Just a new data download. The game reads those when it loads and they tell the game where to find the various files required for game data that is downloaded and not included with the client when you update from the apple store or steam etc...

• _DaPerson__DaPerson_ CanadaMember
    edited September 2017
    The video was pretty cool! Too much fancy stuff on your desktop. @-@ I really love the tabs you have on your desktops to organize it. At first I thought it was part of your background. It'd be cool if you could show us how you test out a new feature. Like the beachball for example. I've seen previously in some of the older videos/screenshots there would be some debug text or something on the bottom right and in the chat box.

Do the dyna files store the location of graphics? (And how? lol. Probably won't be answered but it was worth a shot >.>)
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    I'm not really sure about the specifics of the dyna file since Betamax created them, but I think it's really nothing fancy. It's probably just some file locations. Like if you want the beachball load it from current_directory/dyna/models/237.modl -- that kind of thing. Just a list of what to load from where.
  • Do you have a script for your videos ?
  • Hey sirkewberth u created a very cool game that I play everyday
  • arthur15 said:

Hey sirkewberth u created a very cool game that I play everyday

Er hes not the only developer XD theres also cosmic cow and mabz and betamax
  • RightMakerRightMaker PhilippinesMember
    edited September 2017
    I suggest for the next video is about designing stuffs or texturing ,like that xD
  • left ear ASMR

nice vid tho
    -Gundam- said:

Do you have a script for your videos ?

No script.. just me rambling :-)
  • I cant wait for the next one Kew :D
    Any image editor will work. They're just normal image files. But they will get written over by new official data, and the changes you make will only show on your own computer.
  • I like rambling . Even when you have to repeat a word to get it right, it feels more natural than scripts .
    Yey.
  • You have a very soothing voice SirKewberth! Enjoyed the video and seeing some of the tools that you use. And nice tease at the end! Well done!

Love that y'all use Slack...as it was originally developed by Tiny Speck because of a game I used to play called Glitch (they originally used it for dev collaboration/coordination). Have been a fan of Slack for a very long time. Some nice tips on some of the other tools as well as I've thought about getting into some app development.
  • CosmicCowCosmicCow Member
    edited September 2017
    b3achy said:

You have a very soothing voice SirKewberth! Enjoyed the video and seeing some of the tools that you use. And nice tease at the end! Well done!

Love that y'all use Slack...as it was originally developed by Tiny Speck because of a game I used to play called Glitch (they originally used it for dev collaboration/coordination). Have been a fan of Slack for a very long time. Some nice tips on some of the other tools as well as I've thought about getting into some app development.

It's a pretty good tool, with some really nice extensions. For example, we use "to-do bot" to keep track of bugs and task lists. If I had one complaint about slack, it'd be that it is sometimes freezes on me for no reason.

EDIT: I would love to do a video too, but my voice isn't nearly as good as Kewberth's.
  • CosmicCow said:

EDIT: I would love to do a video too, but my voice isn't nearly as good as Kewberth's.

Why don't you try? maybe some people like your voice, and maybe you have some other information SirK doesn't know.
  • CosmicCow said:

Why don't you try? maybe some people like your voice, and maybe you have some other information SirK doesn't know.
    Yes just try it 0:
  • elemental godelemental god The netherlandsMember
    CosmicCow said:

b3achy said:

You have a very soothing voice SirKewberth! Enjoyed the video and seeing some of the tools that you use. And nice tease at the end! Well done!

Do it! I thought i had an awefull voice too, but when i went in some voice chats on discord they actually liked my voice