Tabletop Gaming: Tales of Cubic Castles

I wanted to take a nap before morning, but I couldn't sleep because I'm nocturnal. And then I hatched this when I laid down, so that forced me back out of bed. :P

CAUTION: Requires MATH and IMAGINATION!

SO, may I present to you a pitch for a game:

Tales of Cubic Castles

Tales of Cubic Castles (ToCC) is meant as a Cubic Castles Tabletop RPG, specifically inspired by the exploits of the most daring Paladins in the Order of Paladins (and certain honorary Paladins). It's played right in Cubic Castles, and it's my best attempt at running a game akin to a Dungeons and Dragons campaign. And we only need the 6-sided dice bumpers, and maybe a couple character sheets once things get formalized. The best part is, some of these events can actually be used to influence the course of #PaladinLore since so far, I've been the only one writing, and I REALLY need to give my other Paladins a fair chance at having a say in terms of what happens in the stories. So, I figured this would be the most fun way to do it! :D

Rulebook:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1x4o-QuNQaxf0Xb0q3pU-5qyQVM4FEHJOP9eqAa0uQ78/edit?usp=sharing

Character Sheet Database:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WdKGAE2Rqu0D4TWSvqU9nscIfb3t68bxOYd4rn3Rlb8/edit?usp=sharing

As for this forum post, think of this as the Quick Guide for Getting Started.

There is a square of attributes (all players have these 9 attributes). It looks like this:
(ATK) (DEF) (VIT)
(Body) A | B | C
(Mind) D | E | F
(Spirit) G | H | I

So, Stats A, D, and G are attack values; B, E, and H are Defense values; and C, F, and I are vitality. Offense is how many dice you roll when performing any action (be it persuasion, aiming, crafting, or conjuring spells); Defense is how much you roll when opposing or reacting (like dodging, counter-arguing, or willing yourself to stay up), and Vitality measures Hit Points. Body is physical movements and attacks, from punching and wielding weapons (yes, including wands) to dodging and rolling. Mind is for things like focus, puzzle-solving, and Math. Spirit is inner strength, which ranges from Willpower to magic spells.

Attack and Defense are written as "xD +y", where y is a constant modifier and x is how many times you hit the dice bumper when making your roll. Vitality is written as a single constant number, though damages should be noted (yet normally reset at the end of one-offs or certain campaign points). You'll see more usage of the y modifier in more complex game sessions (such as character upgrading); but for the purposes of Quick Start, you can ignore that for now.

For basic character creation, you start with 12 Dice to allocate between your 6 Attack and Defense stats. An average balance is 2D in all attributes, and they can range from 1D to 4D. Vitality is taken by rolling Attack and Defense in that category, and is only used in Character Creation (or "Upgrading Sessions" if this takes off well enough, and rules are "formalized"). So, for the average 2D all-around player, you'd roll 4 6-sided dice (actually, you'd hit the die-bumper 4 times) and add up all 4 results. That is your starting vitality. A perfect roll in that case would be 24, averaging out at about 12 (which equals 3 Hearts in the actual Cubic Castles GAME, since each HP = 1/4 Heart).

Any time either of the 3 Vitality Attributes is drained to 0, the player is knocked out but otherwise OK. -10 is death, with slim potential for Necro-resurrection. -20 is definitive perma-death. Yes, I know death is not even a slap-on-the-wrist in Cubic Castles, but I want there to be SOME semblance of "stakes" to my game, so :P

There are skills and perks too. Perks are similar to what's already in-game, such as "Heart" giving an extra heart (equal to 4HP in this game's terms), and Brawny giving passive armor. Skills are the things you can do, be it crafting, driving (driving is an ADVANCED skill, by the way; Advanced skills do not apply to Quick Start), jumping, or lugging inventory. Perks are passive boosts, and like in Cubic Castles, players get 1 Perk per Level. Level is covered in "Upgrade Sessions", which does not apply for Quick Start.

In short, Skills are your active abilities/powers; Perks are passive benefits.

Players start at Level 0 with 3 Skills, and 1 Unique Skill. Basic things (such as low-level crafting and carefree jumping) are "unwritten skills", as it is assumed all players are capable of these things. They don't count for the skills at Character Creation. For example, a skill would be "Wand Aiming" which would be under the Body category, and while anyone can aim or shoot Wands, it requires a skill roll to use it in focused combat purposes. Being all willy-nilly does not need any skills. Similarly, players can specialize in certain skills, and a wand example would be written as "Wand Aiming: PvP". Specializations are an advanced concept and does not apply for Quick Start.

Skills are written as "(Parent) + xD +y". Parent means if it's either using the base attributes under Body, Mind, or Spirit. The extra "xD + y" comes into play through Upgrade Sessions, and does not apply for Quick Start. Just stick with noting (Parent).

The "Unique Skill" is something specifically not covered in the general breadth of skills within the Rulebook. For examples, it can be a special passive, or a specialization with a flair, or just a cool stunt. The key is that it is UNIQUE to YOU! And it can not be game-breakingly Overpowered! If any player is to have more than one Unique Skill, it had better be for a bleeping amazing achievement and/or reason. Seriously, this kind of benefit is something to be used extremely sparingly!

As for USING skills, the quick-and-dirty rule-of-thumb is a rule-of-5: 5 is easy, 10 is medium, 15 is hard, 20 is very hard, and 25 is heroic. Difficulties of less than 5 is very-easy and is assumed to always succeed. Difficulty Classes are extremely nuanced and at the discretion of the Game Master, but this is the most basic level for getting started. The exception is opposed rolls, like in PvP, one player rolls an Attack, and the other rolls Defense. Be it by Difficulty Class or Opposed Roll, there are many, *MANY*, possible variations and circumstances that can add or subtract from the base rolls and Difficulties. This is, again, at the discretion of the Game Master to make a judgement call, and is far too complicated for a Quick Start Guide.

Lastly, you can make whatever flavor-text you want. Things like gender, age, backstory, etc. All the stuff to round out the character for a more "role-playing" experience that does not directly affect the mechanics of the game.

For The Platinum Paladin as a character (in the RPG's terms), he has 3 skills and 1 unique skill. I'll be sure to draw a more actual Character Sheet for example purposes. For a more statistical overview, his sheet would look similar to this:

###

The Platinum Paladin
Clan: Order of Paladins
Clan Rank: Platinum, Leader, Founder

Personality: As a natural leader, The Platinum Paladin is very enthusiastic. He does have a bit of an ego, though, which he argues has been hard-won.

(ATK) (DEF) (VIT)
(Body) 1D | 1D | 11
(Mind) 3D | 1D | 15
(Spirit) 4D | 2D | 23

Skills:
Willpower (Spirit)
Leadership (Mind)
Lie-Detection (Mind)

Unique Skill:
Rally - The Platinum Paladin can harness his inner strength to unify and inspire his clan! All Players in the Order of Paladins can receive temporary boosts based on The Platinum Paladin's Willpower Attack Role. Each Player can only boost 1 skill at a time, and each Player affected can choose what skill to boost. As founder of the Order of Paladins, this boost can never drop below an extra 2D for all affected Players. Usable only once per encounter, and up to three times per Adventure. Effects expire at end of encounter. The Platinum Paladin can not directly boost himself through this ability.

###

The test-run will be when doing the collaborative writing for "Siege of Fort Help" with the Order of Paladins. That specifically involves @The%20Golden%20Paladin @The%20Only%20Moneybag's @*Luminous* and @*Mega* if they're on the forums. @*TGJ* should also get involved, even though he's nowhere to be found.

If you want in, the date we will attempt to solidify this is January 15, 2017, (if not January 8, because I need my sleep) at 3PM Cubic Time (6PM Eastern, 11PM GMT). I will be Game Master, and right now, the only real Game Master rule is to NOT abuse authority (like giving all the super awesome loot to the Game Master's own character).

For those who want to participate specifically in "The Siege of Fort Help", it is a mission for ELITE troops (specifically as crossing The Borderlands is a prerequisite), so the absolute minimums would be either Silver Paladin, or Level 25.

Other RPG opportunities are to be discussed and announced. This is your chance to pitch in what you'd like to see. ;)
Likewise, this is your chance to offer constructive feedback and critique my First Draft before I make a "formal rulebook". Likewise, I'd attach a poll, though I have yet to figure out the best wording to use for it to encourage positive feedback.

Comments

• Omg...Who will read all of this?
  • edited January 2017
    I can't wait to join in the RPG :D
  • edited January 2017

Omg...Who will read all of this?

And you think THAT is big...Just wait until I mention concepts like inventory, learning new skills, and MAGIC! Yes, Wizardry is its own category, that draws upon the Spiritual pool, and it's not (normally) open to beginners. ;)
    SPEAKING OF! I edited the Original Post to add basic inventory! Lol. It's one basic concept I completely forgot to mention! My apologies.

And I actually hit a character limit! So I will post the ENTIRETY of the Rules in a link. I'm working on that now.
    I kid you not, I am actually writing the *FULL* Rulebook! :D

Like I said, I didn't want to make this the size of a textbook (believe me, the ACTUAL D&D rulebooks look like something you'd lug to school).

Awesome! I hope to see you there! I'm planning on a tentative test-run tomorrow...afternoon/evening Eastern Time, maybe Morning. I don't know, just sometime January 8th. I'll see who's on.

GOL-LY! How many hours did this take? I had to basically conjure this from scratch. I feel like I'm missing some things, but I think this is sufficient for a "First Draft". Heh, enjoy. LOL

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1x4o-QuNQaxf0Xb0q3pU-5qyQVM4FEHJOP9eqAa0uQ78/edit?usp=sharing

And you think THAT is big...Just wait until I mention concepts like inventory, learning new skills, and MAGIC! Yes, Wizardry is its own category, that draws upon the Spiritual pool, and it's not (normally) open to beginners. ;)
    SPEAKING OF! I edited the Original Post to add basic inventory! Lol. It's one basic concept I completely forgot to mention! My apologies.

And I actually hit a character limit! So I will post the ENTIRETY of the Rules in a link. I'm working on that now.

Like I said, I didn't want to make this the size of a textbook (believe me, the ACTUAL D&D rulebooks look like something you'd lug to school).

Awesome! I hope to see you there! I'm planning on a tentative test-run tomorrow...afternoon/evening Eastern Time, maybe Morning. I don't know, just sometime January 8th. I'll see who's on.
    im almost 17,my bday is comming feb 19th

Happy early birthday.

Here is rulebook. Lol

• Kids would never take the time to learn this. I opened that rule book and 17 pages?! Where do you find all this time and energy? xD
  • edited January 2017
    Jasky said:

Kids would never take the time to learn this. I opened that rule book and 17 pages?! Where do you find all this time and energy? xD

LOL! I appreciate the feedback/warning, and with that in mind, maybe this isn't such a good idea? XP

I'm good at writing, and I played with a group of other people who had a similar RPG experience. I loved the game, but hated the players. So, I tried to take what was good from that, leave the bad in the past, and set off to find my own group. I have yet to succeed in that Real-Life quest.
  • Pala know your efforts are not of waste, while I am not anyone special I will read it all!
  • I've read all, I love RPGs I would like to join if possible sometime.
  • edited February 2017
    I am glad to see some interest from GreyCoralKing and Sir Fox. :D

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WdKGAE2Rqu0D4TWSvqU9nscIfb3t68bxOYd4rn3Rlb8/edit?usp=sharing

Oh, and Next Sunday, January 15, 2017 at 6PM Eastern Time (3PM Cubic/Pacific Time), I'll be hosting another formal meet for Tales of Cubic Castles. Like earlier tonight, it's going to be mostly creating Character Sheets, but if we have enough players with "ready" sheets, I intend on running our first Session. It's going to be a "Training Course" that essentially functions like a tutorial. :D

Happy early birthday.

Here is rulebook. Lol

Thank You!
  • edited January 2017
    I can't wait to play.. Setting up my charecter was fun...
  • This took me like 6 hours to read saying I get distracted easily lol
  • Well, I'm glad Moneybag's and Chewy had fun with the setup. Just wait until we get into the MEAT of the Campaigns! >:D
  • edited January 2017
    I think this is a good time to bump, because I had updated the Rulebook for Upgrade Sessions, PLUS Character Sheets were updated!

Yes, the first FORMAL session is this Sunday, but Joe, Moneybags, and myself were involved with a short "practice" run. And we all got some beginner's rewards of XP and Upgrade Points. These have already been attributed.

The Platinum Paladin and The Only Moneybag's have also now started their own PERSONAL QUESTS! If anything needs changing/correcting, buddy, let me know. But I know I can take care of myself, because I am the GM Inventor of this game. :D

So yes, Character Sheets are updated! YAY!
  • What you were the only one writing, What about my epic about the founding of Order of Paladins -_-
  • edited January 2017
    *TGJ* said:

What you were the only one writing, What about my epic about the founding of Order of Paladins -_-

I guess I have memory problems (I assume you mean "A Paladin's Tale", which still has a few chapters left before it's done), but what I meant was all the stories I put up (like Terrors of the Borderlands and No Bee's Land) were all made with no input other than my own. So I'm trying to give others a fair chance at having a say in terms of the course-of-events. And from my experiences, I imagined that making a Tabletop RPG for it would be the most fun way to do that.
  • I was tempted to roast you about your memory earlier
  • I need to update my charecter on my com now
  • edited January 2017
    Looks like I narrowly dodged that figurative bullet. Phew.

Also, all Character Sheets should be updated to the best of my ability. Unlike most computer games where you can expect the similar experience consistently time and again, this kind of game is an absolutely 100% hand-crafted affair, so it may be a bit more subject to the dreaded "human error". On the other hand, this means each individual person's experience can be absolutely custom-tailored!

For highlights, Moneybags completed his Personal Quest, while Mega got started on his. And there were upgrades and rewards at the end of each session. Altogether took about 4-5 hours of GMing on my part. For those wanting to join in as I was running a Personal Quest Adventure, I can see why patience would wear thin, so I apologize.
  • edited January 2017
    A new day, a new bump. LOL! So much happens in this game, you wouldn't believe it! And it's like between me and 3 or 4 other players while 2 or 4 other Qbees are demanding handouts of me, ALL AT THE SAME TIME!

So, for those of you who like my stories, just hang out with me in-game for an extended time. Because when I start prefixing my chat with "GM:", you know that you can WATCH the writing unfold...IN REAL TIME! :O
    - Just, try to not interfere much if you only want to watch. Being a Game Master is hectic enough from dealing with just those who DO want to play.

SO, today, I want to focus a little bit about Capital City. That's because a lot of action happened here, and I do not predict that slowing down. Since player sheets start with a modest 5,000 Cubits, that's enough to buy some starter gear.

So, Capital City...What exactly does it entail?

According to lore, Capital City is the place officially overseen by THE Cosmic Cow and his/her/its development team. Those staff need no introduction; they are celebrities within the community.

As for the facilities offered, there is just about everything within reason. You won't be finding EPIC or LEGENDARY loot, for example, but you can definitely buy some effective goods. For RPG game mechanic purposes, there is a weapon shop (which includes selling wands, as seen in-game), an armor shop, and a miscellaneous shop that houses odds-and-ends from trinkets (sometimes magical finds) to plush toys and novelties. Restaurants and entertainments exist here as well, like movies and arcades. There is also a bookstore that compiled an extensive documentation on all known subject matters in Qbee Land. There is one book in particular that explains the physics of gravity on a cube-shaped planet, co-written by Matthew Patrick (MatPat) of the Youtube show Game Theory. Needless to say, his name recognition alone has made this book a hot sale! :O

There exists a Dojo atop a super steep hillside, where players can safely spar and practice, earning some extra XP and other character-based rewards by testing themselves against other players through the rigorous fires of PvP. I say safely because there is a magical energy field preventing any death or permanent repercussions. This field, unfortunately, has yet to expand across all Capital City. But the best Scientists are working on it! ;)

Next to the Cosmic Cow Rocket is a Starport. The result is that once in a while, there may be travelers from other territories...or even other dimensions! And every so often, they may bring powerful albeit expensive goodies with them. Just remember: imported wares are always more expensive. Only downside is, this is *THE* only Starport in all of Qbee Land!

Two points of interest recently cropped up for players. First is called "The Capital Cantina". For those not familiar with the word, a "Cantina" is basically a Spanish/Mexican style bar, but as seen in pop-culture, a "Cantina" is usually also a natural gathering-spot for heroes and villains. Players can theoretically go here to enlist the aid of companion NPCs. Second is a School! This is named "Cubic Community College", or C-Cubed for short. Ignoring the horrors of REAL school, the idea is that you can pay to learn skills faster (at about double the rate). But since this is no public school, and there is no law demanding Qbees go to school, tuition tends to be costly. Anything other than the Wizardry of OPness can be learned here.

News reports of experiments in tech, from radio devices to cars to genetic enhancements. All of these technologies are (at best) in early prototype phases, so they are not yet available to the public.

And as a note in a meta sense, if any of the @CosmicCow staff feel I need to edit this insight into "lore", do not hesitate to message me, and I will update the points as quickly as possible. Until then, just pretend this is the most epic fan-fiction of Cubic Castles.
  • Tell you the truth, I've been getting so many disruptions, I have to lock off the realms when playing (like today's all-day marathon) simply because it's hectic enough dealing with those who DO want to play. Each Character Sheet, for all the Math and Imagination required for creation, usually takes 1-2 Real Hours to complete. No exaggeration, I spent ALL morning today just creating sheets!
  • space_fetusspace_fetus Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    found it :P
  • This sounds very interesting,
    I don't know if I will ever play this. I have never played DOD
    I skipread it a bit and I do have a few questions.

Is the game only admittable for players who are in your clan?

Are there any more races (like lizard people or fairies or are you limited to the few options in the book)?
  • edited February 2017
    epieownz said:

This sounds very interesting,
    I don't know if I will ever play this. I have never played DOD
    I skipread it a bit and I do have a few questions.

Is the game only admittable for players who are in your clan?

Are there any more races (like lizard people or fairies or are you limited to the few options in the book)?

This game can be played by ANYONE! And the clan you are officially in will be reflected on your sheet. That said, as the Founder of the Order, my Unique Skill only benefits those who are official Paladins.
    Also, what you need to play will be time, patience, some Math, and Imagination. But get past that learning-curve, and you'll be rewarded with a custom-tailored story you can influence however you wish. Some find that extremely addicting!

In other game modes (and possibly the future) there will be more advanced species options. But for now, all players are Qbees to preserve some semblance of consistency among Cubic Lore and #PaladinLore. At the same time, we've seen some NPC humans, aliens, and even a couple Powerpuffs (assuming I can get away with using that word and NOT get sued >.> ). :O