GirTheRobot has won the Easter Umbrella October Raffle! Next up: Slyme Costume!

#SayNoToNametags

BJDwareBJDware Down underRetired Moderator
edited January 2017 in Suggestions & Comments 108.65 Karma
This will be a very radical suggestion to many out there, so please bare with me.
#SayNoToNametags

The Suggestion:

-Remove the ability to use more than one Nametag per account.

Other Possibilities:
-Also the possibility of a second use after X amount of time has passed.
-Can only be used once every X amount of time has passed.
-Can only be used X amount of times.
-After each use, time before another can be used escalates.
-Raise the price.
-Any other idea's?

-Include a "Previous names" list.

Why?:

One thing you have to realize, is that "your name is your identity" within games such as this. Using a Nametag is more than just changing your name.

-----

There is nothing worst than people who constantly change their name. People such as myself, find ourselves constantly asking.. "who are you? >.> ". I Tend to lean towards removing them from my list, rather than trying to remember who they once were.

Or then there are those you unfriend for a suitable reason, and they change their name. How are we to recognize them?

Then there is those who gather themselves a reputation and use a Nametag to hide from said rep. Ok, fair enough.. but a reduced amount of times a player can change their name will make them think twice about gaining a reputation in the first place.

There are also individuals who troll and attempt to steal/fake another players identity.

------

I'm sure many other reasons can be thought of, but the biggest reason.. the reason why i am even suggesting this.. Name is identity. There is no other unique identifying markers.

We all should stick to the name we have chosen, with the ability for new users to change to a better name if chosen unwisely. That's my two cents.

What are your thoughts & Idea's upon this?:

Feel free to comment below.




«13

Comments

  • RYBIERYBIE Member
    42.00 Karma
    +1 :D
  • icantiwillicantiwill Member
    76.10 Karma
    +1
    It would be awesome if you only could use one every single month
    #saynotonametags
  • JaskyJasky Member
    0.45 Karma
    You choose a name and you should stick with it forever. Just like in real life, but your parents do the choosing. I think re-choosing once is a great idea! I mean I started off with a random name given to me by the game and then I chose my own username and I will stick with it, because it's what I want to be called and known as. :)
    No need for tags at all in my opinion. #SayNoToNametags
  •  gdog gdog Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    edited January 2017 100.30 Karma
    Jasky said:

    You choose a name and you should stick with it forever. Just like in real life, but your parents do the choosing. I think re-choosing once is a great idea! I mean I started off with a random name given to me by the game and then I chose my own username and I will stick with it, because it's what I want to be called and known as. :)
    No need for tags at all in my opinion. #SayNoToNametags

    You can change your name in real life though.

    OT - what about a system similar to steam where it shows you previous names.
    name

    This would be a great tool for moderation purposes too.
  • Elemental godElemental god The netherlandsMember
    289.20 Karma
    gdog said:

    Jasky said:

    You choose a name and you should stick with it forever. Just like in real life, but your parents do the choosing. I think re-choosing once is a great idea! I mean I started off with a random name given to me by the game and then I chose my own username and I will stick with it, because it's what I want to be called and known as. :)
    No need for tags at all in my opinion. #SayNoToNametags

    You can change your name in real life though.

    OT - what about a system similar to steam where it shows you previous names.
    name

    This would be a great tool for moderation purposes too.
    Yes, i was thinking about that too! +1

    Also if that isnt added maybe good is that people can only buy once a nametag (and also make it untradeable because people just make alts and give it to themselfs or they buy it from a shop)
  • GoldbusterGoldbuster FamiliarMember, Familiar
    9.10 KarmaFamiliar
    I used my nametag 3 times
    But i changed back to my original name with the capitals i want
    C: im su smert
  • Graypaws11Graypaws11 Member
    10.55 Karma
    +10, I usually just remove the (stoopid) people who change their name, because on an online game like this, most people relate events to names, as there are no 'faces'. Once someone changes their name, I am no longer able to passively relate to them in any way, so I generally remove them.

    #SayNoToNametags
  • LightosphereLightosphere Member
    41.95 Karma
    Yea +1000
    I had a friend like that (changing name again and again) and I'm tired of asking "who are you" cause it's like
    Day 1
    A: Hi
    Me: Hi!
    -long chat-
    A: can we befriend?
    Me: sure
    Day 2
    B: (tp to me)Hi
    Me: Hi, who are you?
    B: It's me A
    Me: oh ok
    Day 3
    C: (tp to me)Hi
    Me: Hi, Who are you?
    C: It's me A
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    Day 729
    ZZ:Hi
    Me: who are you :-: * go away*
  • edited January 2017 107.50 Karma
    I am against this because my name is an expression of myself and I play video games to be able to bend reality. If someone wants to remove me off their friends list becuase of a name change fine by me. If a name is on my friendslist I know it belongs even if I don't recognise the name. I do not feel the need to tp to the person to ask because say what if it is a mod doing a investigation. On the subject of mods many of the them alter their name for the purpose of fun. Why should I be looked at in a critical view especially when I have to pay a large sum of cubits. I am for name changing and the 10k cost will not deter me. I just to need to find how to become wealthy first ;).
  • 10.15 Karma
    -1 I'm against this because what if you one day come up with a name and ur like :O I want that name but the. You realise you can't.... I mean that would happen to quite a bit of ppl... But also +1 to making it so u can see who they where before so basically a zero from me XD
  • scorto7scorto7 BelgiumGame Moderator
    84.85 Karma
    Oh yeah...
    #SayNoToNametags

    I recently had to clean up my friendlist simply because i didn't know who was who anymore.
    And as pointed out before in previous comments here, frequent visits from friends that keep changing their name. It's not making their game better by changing their name every few weeks.
    I can understand that you might not be happy with your original name and maybe use a tag again to correct a mistake, but beyond that i find it pointless and annoying to change your name over and over again.
    So much for that rant... :P

    on the suggestion: Yes limit on how many tags can be used per account in combination with how long it will take before you can change it again(not sure how long by-ut certainly longer then a few weeks).
  • BlisBlis Woodlands, SingaporeMember
    1.10 Karma
    -1 some ppl may want a new identity... and what if they're unable to get a new name? they will have to create another account to get one. and what if the current account they have is a high-lvled account, won't their efforts go to waste? we all know how hard is it to reach the level cap. would y'all like the idea of having to bring another account's level up again.
  • scorto7scorto7 BelgiumGame Moderator
    84.85 Karma

    -1 I'm against this because what if you one day come up with a name and ur like :O I want that name but the. You realise you can't.... I mean that would happen to quite a bit of ppl... But also +1 to making it so u can see who they where before so basically a zero from me XD

    Bliska said:

    -1 some ppl may want a new identity... and what if they're unable to get a new name? they will have to create another account to get one. and what if the current account they have is a high-lvled account, won't their efforts go to waste? we all know how hard is it to reach the level cap. would y'all like the idea of having to bring another account's level up again.

    I think you 2 have the wrong idea.
    The suggestion to to limit how you use nametags, not to prohibit ever using them again.

    Another way to use nametags could be unlimited nametags(still need to by them ofc) but the time it takes before you can use a new nametag will increase with every new tag you use. So after you used your first nametag you will have to wait lets say 3-4 days and then after that the next time you use a tag it will take a wee and the time after that it could be 2 weeks... etc...etc (this is just an example, the time it takes could be very different)
  • 52.95 Karma
    Really supporting this, since it can abused like:

    Scammer A changed his name to B and nobody knows him makes him to continue scamming without people realize his identity, and until forever nobody still know that he's scammer....
  • edited January 2017 107.50 Karma
    @Scorto, you can not say what makes the game better or not for a person because we are individuals who have independent thinking. Like for me nametags improve my game experience. An example is I was able to change my name to Hinterclause's Naughty Elf to host the Hinterclause event with Hinter and by having a name change it improved my experience.

    @Char The flaw in your thinking Char is people use alts to scam and can always switch to another account. Why should honest users be punished because of scammers when that action will have no intended effect. It is easy to brainstorm a solution that sounds nice but it does not mean it will work. Much like how a wall between the U.S.A would not prevent almost half the.illegal immigrants from entering due to the fact they come over legally by plane and over stay their visas. There are solutions that will have a broader more beneficial impact like what Gdog proposed with how Steam works.
  • SnowiezSnowiez Member
    4.40 Karma
    They alrdy made it more expensive:(
  • scorto7scorto7 BelgiumGame Moderator
    84.85 Karma

    @Scorto, you can not say what makes the game better or not for a person because we are individuals who have independent thinking. Like for me nametags improve my game experience. An example is I was able to change my name to Hinterclause's Naughty Elf to host the Hinterclause event with Hinter and by having a name change it improved my experience.

    Read again their comment. they are under the impression the once you use a nametag, you can't use any ever again. And now read ware's suggestion again and you will see that it does not exclude the re-usage of nametags ever.
    I never put words in their mouths. I only suggested that this is not exactly what this idea is about. And as far as i am aware i am free to make suggestion. i never forced them to think differently then what they said.

    My idea of exponentially increasing the time before you can use a new nametag might be inconvenient for some who use these thing. I do understand that there should be a reset on the increase of this time table(maybe once at the end of each year), otherwise it becomes impossible indeed.

    Grey, I like to ask you... How many times per year do you change your name?
  • ValleyValley Member
    34.40 Karma
    I agree and disagree
    Why I agree? Because I once had a habit of changing names. I would waste my cubits on name tags and change my name heaps of times. I realised this was stupid and I started to get annoyed of people constantly asking me who I was. So I took my time to think of a good name which is now Xyla, and I am going to stick with this name for a longggg time perhaps even forever.
    It is also annoying when your friend changes names bc you have to waste ur time seeing who they are instead of doing something important such as building etc.

    Why I disagree? Because what if you think of a rlly good name! But then realise u cannot change name......

    I am happy that developers have increased the price of name tags bc it makes it harder for players who change their names a lot to get their hands on one. Personally I think they should make the price higher.
    But yes I think you can only change names a few times a year. Maybe say 3?
    #SayNoToNametags
  • edited January 2017 11.25 Karma
    -1 to main suggestion. A nametag pack consists of 3 nametags.
    But I am thrifty.
  • $uperplayz$uperplayz Member
    edited January 2017 5.75 Karma
  • edited January 2017 11.25 Karma
    +1 if the game removed nametags and compensated everybody. And everybody would be given only 1 chance to change their name for free.
  • 33.10 Karma
    +1
  • 73.50 Karma
    They already raised the price.. So whats the point of adding this? Its literally ripping players' wallets off.
  • StevenlolStevenlol Member
    70.15 Karma
    +1
    #SayNoToNameTag
    I've never ever used one
  • Sir John GreySir John Grey Member
    35.60 Karma
    I prefer that what you said with certain amount of time before you can change name again like 6 months.
    And Also I suggest additional to what gdog said:
    gdog said:


    You can change your name in real life though.

    OT - what about a system similar to steam where it shows you previous names.

    Spoiler:

    name

    This would be a great tool for moderation purposes too.

    I add something to this, only your same ip,email, or device can create your old names again so that if ever somebody scammed with a name x and he changed name then coincidentally you created that name; in that way nobody can accuse you
  • edited January 2017 107.50 Karma
    Scorto7 said:

    Oh yeah...
    #SayNoToNametags

    I recently had to clean up my friendlist simply because i didn't know who was who anymore.
    And as pointed out before in previous comments here, frequent visits from friends that keep changing their name. It's not making their game better by changing their name every few weeks.
    I can understand that you might not be happy with your original name and maybe use a tag again to correct a mistake, but beyond that i find it pointless and annoying to change your name over and over again.
    So much for that rant... :P

    on the suggestion: Yes limit on how many tags can be used per account in combination with how long it will take before you can change it again(not sure how long by-ut certainly longer then a few weeks).

    I was remarking on this comment where you state how it does not make it better by changing their name every few weeks

    I change my name probably an average of eight times total of my cc play time which includes the times reverting back to GreyCoralKing

    I think the raise to 10k is fair, will it prevent or even deter abuse as Kewberth hopes absolutely not. Why do we like to go to solutions that punish the honest dedicated player. This is nothing more than Salem in a civilized format.
  • JAXsepticeyeJAXsepticeye Member
    25.80 Karma
    +1 to the after X amount of time passed then you can change your name
    -1 to 1 name change per account because I mean name tags have been in game for a long time and the demand would just go down so much since mostly rich people use it and they will just wont be sold a lot ;n;
  • scorto7scorto7 BelgiumGame Moderator
    84.85 Karma
    Grey, let me quote what you have written.

    @Scorto, you can not say what makes the game better or not for a person because we are individuals who have independent thinking.

    You where referring to the statement that i made saying "it does not make it better by changing their name every few weeks"??? How is that statement considered telling OTHER people what makes a better game? On top of that, i was not making a demand in any way. I was merely sharing my opinion.
    My statement was referring to players that use nametags as if it was a bag of candy. They eat up nametags every week. That is a huge difference to the amount of tags and the frequency that you have used and the reasons for doing that.
  • 11.25 Karma
    Scorto7 said:

    Grey, let me quote what you have written.

    @Scorto, you can not say what makes the game better or not for a person because we are individuals who have independent thinking.

    You where referring to the statement that i made saying "it does not make it better by changing their name every few weeks"??? How is that statement considered telling OTHER people what makes a better game? On top of that, i was not making a demand in any way. I was merely sharing my opinion.
    My statement was referring to players that use nametags as if it was a bag of candy. They eat up nametags every week. That is a huge difference to the amount of tags and the frequency that you have used and the reasons for doing that.
    Can you please not...
    Please...
  • Elemental godElemental god The netherlandsMember
    289.20 Karma

    -1 I'm against this because what if you one day come up with a name and ur like :O I want that name but the. You realise you can't.... I mean that would happen to quite a bit of ppl... But also +1 to making it so u can see who they where before so basically a zero from me XD

    Many games you cant even change your name so be happy that in this game YOU CAN CHANGE the name xD
Sign In or Register to comment.