Steam refuses to install the game.

Labz34gamesLabz34games Member
edited May 2018 in Help Requests
Let me start off by saying I'm not exactly sure of the best place to put this. If this is in an inappropriate section, please let me know or something.

Alright, so I uninstalled Cubic Castles on Steam to try and resolve an issue at one point, and now it refuses to install. I have tried continously and there are three general outcomes:

1. It will install to 100%, but the estimated time will start ticking upwards until it hits about "over a year" and then it times out, cancelling everything. This is the most common outcome.

2. It will "install", but when I try to run the game it brings up the error "missing executable".

3. It won't even download because of the error "CONTENT FILE LOCKED".

If you have a solution or suggestion please do not hesitate to leave a response. And again, if this post is in the wrong section or just done wrong in some other way please let me know.

Comments

• SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    The implication is that the game was still running when you installed and so the exe file was locked. The only easy way to ensure this isnt the problem is to restart your machine and install the game on steam without ever running it first. (there are ways without restarting but complicated to explain)
  • 007Awesome007007Awesome007 Member
    edited May 2018
    I posted in the following in another discussion, fixed the problem for me, but it might not work for everyone.
    Same thing happened to me, I think what I did was just copy the files from
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\downloading

To
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Cubic Castles
    Overwriting existing files

Not sure if it is the same for everyone, I think that fixed it for me.
  • The implication is that the game was still running when you installed and so the exe file was locked. The only easy way to ensure this isnt the problem is to restart your machine and install the game on steam without ever running it first. (there are ways without restarting but complicated to explain)

Thank you for responding! I will attempt this as soon as possible.
  • Alright well, it installs but it won't allow me to run it because apparently there are corrupt content files.
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    Something to do with your inet when you first installed. Partial files etc... Steam has a fix files feature. you can uninstall and reinstall.
  •  gdog gdog Retired Moderator
    edited May 2018
    Try verifying integrity of your game files.

Go to your Steam client.
    Library
    Find Cubic Castles on the list.
    Right Click and choose properties.
    Then go to local files tab and press the verify integrity of game files.

This will check for any missing files and redownload any required ones you are missing/corrupted

• Thanks to everyone who gave me information. I believe the cause of this issue was that my antivirus saw the execution program for cubic castles as dangerous and put it into quarantine. I have since then been able to play using steam.