Visual Cues upon using Phantom Foam

SteamingFireSteamingFire Member
edited April 2016 in Suggestions & Comments
Many of you are not truly reading what I posted.
I am NOT complaining about the game being poor.
I am NOT saying, "I want Phantom Foam cues so I can see the invisible walls before I fall through them".
I am NOT saying, "The game lags and I can't see where the bleep I'm going".

I AM saying, "I want Phantom Foam cues so I do not end up thinking that I'm lagging at 100 miles per minute (or anything else incorrect) when really, it's just a bit of Phantom Foam".

--------
My thought process when when I keep falling through blocks during parkour:
a) I have such horrible game-depth perception
b) I am lagging so badly
c) What the HECK is WRONG WITH THIS GAME

Honestly, it just never occurs to me that there was phantom foam sprayed on it because there are zero cues upon stepping on a foamed block. There doesn't need to be a global cue i.e. someone 10 blocks away can chase after you when you go through a dungeon wall because the entire room lit on fire or something, but for each individual person, there needs to be a visual cue for when their qbee touches a block sprayed with phantom foam. Or else I'm seriously going to keep raging that this game is poorly made or etc etc every time I fall through blocks >.>

Edit: and while I am posting this thread, I may as well add in the totally unrelated question: Why are we unable to use the squiggle? Like, that squiggle button left to the ! button on PC keyboards. Phones have it too when they swap from ABC to Symbols.

Comments

• CanItBeDoneCanItBeDone The Universe; The Milky Way Galaxy; The Solar System; Earth; North AmericaMember
    That is basically the point of phantom foam, so you fall through it without warning. It makes you take risk, and learn from mistake, and to annoy you.
  • xNexyxNexy NLMember
    edited April 2016
    There is no need to call this game wrong or poorly made.
    Just because you fail at parkours with phantom foam as an obstacle doesn't mean it's a bad game.

About the 'tidle' ("sguiggly button"), I have no idea why we can't. I can see how spanish players for example need this. But they will understand 'napa' aswell as 'ñapa'. Meaning bonus.
  • lunariscilunarisci 'MuricaMember
    Honestly I'm not a fan of phantom foam in parkours; makes it more based on trial-and-error/memory rather than logic/strategy. But that's the owner's call and I respect that (although I usually just leave before I explode)

Phantom foam has more uses than in parkour; can use it on crates and make them look like doors or trap doors necessary for role-play. Visual cues would disrupt the player's immersion and take away from the whole story
  • SteamingFireSteamingFire Member
    edited April 2016
    xNexy said:

There is no need to call this game wrong or poorly made.
    Just because you fail at parkours with phantom foam as an obstacle doesn't mean it's a bad game.

You misunderstood my post. My point was that if someone isn't familiar with phantom foam, the obvious conclusion(s) would be that there is really bad connection or poorly made physics.
    lunarisci said:

Visual cues would disrupt the player's immersion and take away from the whole story

As I stated in my post, it doesn't have to be anything big. The qbee passing through the block(s) could, for example, see the block(s) turn a white color while they're inside of them. It isn't that big enough to disrupt immersion and is still clear enough of a cue to distinguish phantom foam from lag.

Edit: It could be added to "Tweaks" to turn on/off phantom-foam cue.
    If the cue happens when the player's inside the foamed block wouldn't that be too late? By the time you step in the block you'd probably be falling down to your death and most likely assume it's been phantom foamed

Referring to the other kinda-off-topic subjects of your thread

Also it's not the game's fault you're lagging. You lag because you're seeing too many blocks on your screen in one frame of time. I think it's called rendering; just turn off some of the functions in your game settings and it'll make it better

Don't have to say the game's poorly made just because you're rage-quitting; if you feel angry just leave and cool off
  • 719matmat719matmat Traveling through time and space (tping to friends)Member
    ive seen many people in many games complaining about features.
    for example, in one game im in a guild which hosts minigames. a guys kept begging "please please pleasaseeeeee can i be 3rd" and i was like "minigames are luck and skill, not begging". he then proceeded to bombard me with insults.
    so people should just git gud
  • CanItBeDoneCanItBeDone The Universe; The Milky Way Galaxy; The Solar System; Earth; North AmericaMember
    Like what Loona has said, if the cue was to happen, it would be pointless at that moment. But if someone was to do parkour with phantom foam within it, wouldn't they continue to try to beat that part and realize there is another path to the end?

Of topic
    719matmat said:

ive seen many people in many games complaining about features.
    for example, in one game im in a guild which hosts minigames. a guys kept begging "please please pleasaseeeeee can i be 3rd" and i was like "minigames are luck and skill, not begging". he then proceeded to bombard me with insults.
    so people should just git gud

Honestly, if you ever encounter people like such... ignore them. They have to realize they can get reward(s) from hard work. If they wanna get in 3rd place, just do it... if you failed, keep trying.

• KokopelliKokopelli WV, USAMember
    Phantom foam is like a double edged sword, it can be a builders best friend for example if you need to hide an entrance to an area you only want a hand full of people to know of, be used in a
    Notevator
    http://forums2.cubiccastles.com/index.php?p=/discussion/841/how-to-build-a-notevator/p1
    Create numerous traps such as phantom foam over a pit and many more things that bring joy to builders and those looking to troll others in a harmless fasion.
    But even those I dislike phantom foam in parcoures its the only downside to such a unique tool, looking from the parcorer's point of view but from the creator of the parcorer's point of view it makes a simple ho hum drum parcore into a game of thrilling game of chance.
  • SteamingFireSteamingFire Member
    edited April 2016
    I am NOT saying, "I want Phantom Foam cues so I can see the invisible walls before I fall through them".

I AM saying, "I want Phantom Foam cues so I do not end up thinking that I'm lagging at 100 miles per minute (or anything else incorrect) when really, it's just a bit of Phantom Foam".
    edited April 2016
    Well why didn't you say that in the first place .-.

The way I see it, the time it takes you to phase through the block would be too small of a frame to react. Also if you're lagging you probably wouldn't even react to the cue

Your initial post was kinda confusing; I didn't understand the voice of it and so I interpreted it as you raging. My initial response was that it seemed passive-aggressive

My thought process when when I keep falling through blocks during parkour:
    a) I have such horrible game-depth perception
    b) I am lagging so badly
    c) What the HECK is WRONG WITH THIS GAME

...Or else I'm seriously going to keep raging that this game is poorly made or etc etc every time I fall through blocks >.>

I admit, my attention span could be a lot better, so this is what mostly got out of it (considering the fact that words in caps stand out A LOT)

I also rage when I fall through phantom-foamed blocks, but by now I've gotten used to it and have been avoiding parkours ever since; I only sometimes assume that I'm lagging so I never saw it from your point of view.

*Also I never stated that you said that the developers aren't putting enough money into the game
  • lunarisci said:

The way I see it, the time it takes you to phase through the block would be too small of a frame to react. Also if you're lagging you probably wouldn't even react to the cue

I think that time would be the same as that of the flash of light from weather-changing minus the fade-out, which is enough for our brains to register even if our fingers can't react. The point isn't to be able to react to it; it's to understand after the first time you fall through that there is Phantom Foam there.
    lunarisci said:

I interpreted it as you raging. My initial response was that it seemed passive-aggressive...this is what mostly got out of it (considering the fact that words in caps stand out A LOT)

Since I was imitating my train of thought from when I fall repeatedly through the foam, my tone of voice was intended to match that of a raging idiot trying to step on the same block over and over >.>
    lunarisci said:

but by now I've gotten used to it and have been avoiding parkours ever since

lunarisci said:

have been avoiding parkours ever since

lunarisci said:

avoiding parkours ever since

lunarisci said:

avoiding parkours

bruh >:o how could you possibly resist the temptation ? xD
    lunarisci said:

*Also I never stated that you said that the developers aren't putting enough money into the game

LOL i wasn't using the term "poor" monetarily... i meant quality-wise.

edited April 2016

lunarisci said:

I think that time would be the same as that of the flash of light from weather-changing minus the fade-out, which is enough for our brains to register even if our fingers can't react. The point isn't to be able to react to it; it's to understand after the first time you fall through that there is Phantom Foam there.
    The weather-changing flash covers the whole screen; also I tend to disable flashes for a reason :P

lunarisci said:

but by now I've gotten used to it and have been avoiding parkours ever since

lunarisci said:

have been avoiding parkours ever since

lunarisci said:

avoiding parkours ever since

lunarisci said:

avoiding parkours

bruh >:o how could you possibly resist the temptation ? xD
    Bad, bad, bad times...
  • lunarisci said:

The weather-changing flash covers the whole screen; also I tend to disable flashes for a reason :P

I know, but you tend to stare at the block you're attempting to jump onto, so you should notice if the block changes color. And when exploring, you tend to watch your qbee, so you should notice when your qbee makes blocks melt white.
    And yeah, i disabled the flashing too. I'm convinced it will Make me have a more reasonable reason if I keep it on >.>
    lunarisci said:

Bad, bad, bad times...

Maybe this will help you a bit <.<
  • scorto7scorto7 BelgiumRetired Moderator
    No, for all the reasons mentioned above.
    The fact that you don't notice it is foamed is part of the challenge.

Also... did you ask about this lag to the staff(or support)? Because i find it odd that all your lagging is caused by phantom foam.
  • scorto7 said:

No, for all the reasons mentioned above.
    The fact that you don't notice it is foamed is part of the challenge.

Also... did you ask about this lag to the staff(or support)? Because i find it odd that all your lagging is caused by phantom foam.

• 719matmat719matmat Traveling through time and space (tping to friends)Member

time to point out, you just contradicted your self HARD.

Then you are not clear with your intentions... as that is what we read.

What i read is that you think you are lagging when you go trough that foam, but now you claim that is not your intend.... please clarify.
    719matmat said:

Context, man, context o-o

And no, visual cues will not get me back into frequently parkouring .-.
  • 719matmat said:

you should make it a habit to read the entire sentence.
    scorto7 said:

please clarify

I had already rewritten the OP before you commented.
    lunarisci said:

visual cues will not get me back into frequently parkouring .-.

:c

scorto7 said:

please clarify

I had already rewritten the OP before you commented.
    And still not clear to what you mean.... that's why i ask you to clarify the first time.

Again.... how is you lagging related to phantom foam.

• BJDwareBJDware Down underMember, Retired Moderator
    edited April 2016
    Lets make sure to keep our discussions on a friendly level please.

To the topic at hand,

I Could see a partial transparency being added for phantom blocks. So that they fade out a bit as you pass through them. But that would mainly only be effective for horizontally phantom foamed blocks.
    For vertically foamed blocks, you would also need an audio cue, considering how fast you pass through blocks when falling through or jumping though them. You would barely notice a visual cue.

Is that along the lines of your thought on this?

P.S: Phantom foam does not belong in parkours and platform builds. People who use it in such builds, really destroy their creation with it. In such builds, only one in twenty use it in an acceptable way.
    Reference of an acceptable use of phantom foam in a parkour/platform build:
    Realm: hellesania
    Room: impossible parkour
    Section: lvl3 spikes rainbow
    Owner: Helles
  • scorto7 said:

how is you lagging related to phantom foam.

It's not, and I never said I was. In fact, I say very clearly in the edited OP that I am NOT saying that.
    BJDware said:

I Could see a partial transparency being added for phantom blocks. So that they fade out a bit as you pass through them. But that would mainly only be effective for horizontally phantom foamed blocks.
    For vertically foamed blocks, you would also need an audio cue, considering how fast you pass through blocks when falling through or jumping though them. You would barely notice a visual cue.

Is that along the lines of your thought on this?

It's very on the line :D The fade-out solution is probably better. It'll look like you found a (literal) hidden hole if you see the walls fading in a dungeon. I suppose there could be an audio cue, although I'm not sure what it would be >.>
    BJDware said:

P.S: Phantom foam does not belong in parkours and platform builds. People who use it in such builds, really destroy their creation with it. In such builds, only one in twenty use it in an acceptable way.

Thank you. Very much.