Ramblings Of A Player

edited April 2016 in Community
Before I begin I would like to note and clarify on several things. For what I am about to say I am not speaking against CC, putting the devs down, or anything negative towards the game. Furthermore I am not looking for words of encouragement or advice, I just feel that maybe if I write out what I am currently going through may help me sort through my problems. If anything I would like you to share your own ramblings and frustrations. Please be constructive and thoughtful with your response if you choose to reply.

March 28th marked my one year anniversary of having joining Cubic Castles. What was a day for me to be happy and celebrate seemed to be only a month of a long festering sore that broke releasing copious amounts of frustration. The building in CC is rather tedious and brutal, to be a frequent builder who goes from start to finish not buying materials has made me question is all the effort really worth it. Like in my disclaimer I will repeat I am not putting Cubic Castles down or asking it to change this is just merely me trying to cope with a dilemma. For almost the entire year I have built I have not adventured into the realm of large scale building, I have mostly stuck to small spaces. There is nothing I enjoy more than building in small rooms, creating environments where games are to be hosted etc. I love building for others and the community but all this time I have not felt challenged. I have wanted to build on a large scale but what I define as large does not exist in this game. The 100x100 rooms/realms are very small and are limiting. I do not like to compare games for each game is unique but I am going to drop the M bomb here using Minecraft as an example.

Minecraft

Everything I see built in CC is like a chibi toy version. That is by no means bad, in fact I think it is one of the aspects that gives CC an extremely charming appeal. It amazes me to see what people are able to create with the limitations of CC. It is just I feel I have to downsize my dreams to fit within the parameters of CC. I have never played another voxel based game other than CC and I have no desire to. That is why I am in such a bind, CC is perfect for me. The biggest draw of CC is the community. We have a community like no other game, I could play a thousand games and never meet as many people in all of them combined as I have Cubic Castles. I have met so many people that have become like family to me.

I think about other things as well going back to what I stated about how the building in CC is tedious and brutal. I feel really proud when I am done building something large but I also bear the realization woah this took me three weeks when say in another game like minecraft someone of equal skill could of built something three times as large in the same amount of time. There are also other factors like lag, the view distance, and limitation of blocks. I am not thinking of quitting CC or building I just need to figure out how to be happy with what I have. Figure out what direction I need to go as a builder. When I play with building blocks in real life like Lincoln logs (even though I am an adult) I do not expect to build sprawling metropolises so maybe if I come to peace within the confines of the game learning to push the boundaries that exist in other facets. Thanks for reading this long rambling post ^_^! It makes me feel better to just put my struggles out there.

Comments

• Lucas The SpiderLucas The Spider U.K, England Member
    Well, I am not a builder. I build a little, and have helped ThisIsNotSlim build Clan Realms (his designs). I fully understand the limitation of the game. Minecraft has bigger maps, bigger height limits, more blocks, more things to with blocks - stairs upside down, same with half slabs. Minecraft has more of a mining vibe then Cubic Castle's.

I played Minecraft the day it was released on Xbox 360, and now I am carrying it on Xbox One. The only reason I play this over Minecraft is like you said the amazing community.

Also Grey, I have said this before, and I'll always say it. You're an amazing builder and I'd always help you with cubits for rooms, realms and blocks.

But Grey bigger isn't always better :) we can do amazing things even with the smallest of spaces.
  • =Illusion==Illusion= Member
    edited April 2016
    Finally a serious post on 1st April :)

i once talked with Beaver about that and my thoughts
    sometimes can be very frustrating, cause Limit of space in rooms/realms, the view distanz, i totally agree with all

but i learn and found much great friends
    For example: when 1 of my friends need something, like marble,
    then i start minning and its so amazing when friends tp and help
    TOGETHER WE so fast :)

and i love sit in my tiny priv silence room and talk with close friends :)

wished could write more but on tablet is really grml to write :/,
    and going on pc im to lazy and comfortably :)

Grey U always WELCOME

by the way its great when U share your thoughts, frustration,...i also often do, and mostly when speaked out whats going on i feel better :)