My New Year's gift: A Steam Review

CD87CD87 Member
edited January 2018 in General Chat
Disclaimer: I saved this for Christmas, but an unexpected problem came up and I had to delay it till this day.

After 1500+ hours on the game (Plus the 500 hours on Standalone version), I've finally written a review for the game. I think this should be a nice gift to the developers for making me spend over 3 months of play time on Cubic Castles.

You can read it on Steam, or just open the spoilers.

TD;DR

Pros:
+Not P2W
+Decent graphics
+Lots of (free) contents to play with, and to explore
+Great community (if you're lucky enough)
+Cross-platform (You can play it on Android or IOS)

Cons:
+It's a building game, but other apsects like pvp and parkour (which makes the game not boring) is not focused as other parts of the game (More details below)
+Rough to start at the beginning
+Steam is treated not as equal as other platforms (AND, the screenshots and trailer you see above are horribly outdated) (Will remove this when they update them)
+Some one-digit years old kids will be there to ruin your experience

Overall: 7/10

Full review (Warning! Spoilers below)

Welcome to my first review.

If you're reading this, then you are considering playing the game, aren't you? I hope I can give you the best overview of it.

Overview: You start out as a humanoid figure called Qbee in the tutorial. After finishing it, you will be teleported to the Overworld, the heart of CC game. Then, you are instructed to place your first realm, go to all the mines for the first time, beat your first parkour, etc... and eventually finish all the free quests. From there, you are free to do anything you want (Within the rules). You will make friends, create great things, be admired, and so on. This game has no goal, but it's your job to create your own milestones.

Graphics: Not much to say here. It's not as good as those AAA games nowadays, but not as bad as many pixel games. It's beautiful, charming and relaxing, but still remains as a cubical game.

Gameplay: In short, there are many things you can do. You can build a dragon, build a castle, create a maze, obstacle courses, temple, anything you want! If you want a bit of a challenge rather than some building plans, you may enter pvp and try to become the last Qbee standing, play and beat the hardest parkours or just be a adventurer and explore many great realms built by both the developers and players. Additionally, you can open a shop, horde cubits, hunt rare artifacts in the mines or colllect all cosmetic items.

The downsides, however, are the grinding part and players' trends.
Grinding is a part in all MMOs, and this one is no exception. If you don't know the right way to grind or don't have the patience to do so, you will end up having no cubits (In-game currency) and thus ruining all of your wishes and plans. Fortunately, there are a few guides about it on the forum and youtube, but most players don't bother to do so. This has also led to a shift in players' trend, which now becomes shopping and collecting. Other fun activities are not abundant, and most of them you will see require you to pay to enter, which might end up becoming a scam. Talking about scams, the developers have applied numerous ways to prevent it, but 99% of the time it's the players' faults that turn them into victims. Be smart when playing, and you won't see this game as a P2W.

Community: Why am I saying "if you're lucky enough"? Many will be there to help you if you need help, but only when you meet the right person. It's a game of chance: You will receive great support, or you will be treated rudely by some one-digit years old kid. The community overall is nice in-game and on the forum, but with some occasional fights arguments, and those annoying kids. Socializing is important in the game, as having some friends to talk to is way better than being alone. Be kind to everyone you see and pick the right friends to play with. (Good english is important)

That's all I can say about the game. There are so many things else to talk about, but it's best to leave it for you to explore. If you need help, you can add me in-game. (Same name as Steam)

Comments