The CC break

To the developpers.

I think it's really sad to see a such good game, with huge potential, limited by the different device.
At the end, it gives a game that do everything but at 50% of the possibilities... all of this because of phone users
and bad computer devices.

I dont know much in prog but is there no way to level up the game?
...in a way that some abilities of computer would not be seen by phones, just?

Or such thing would need 2 games with 2 community ?

...yeah it's not the aim, but it's so sad to read in so many thread thelag issues. =/

Comments

• SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    There are of course device limits, but those are mostly graphical. Real-time lighting, shadows etc... Are those the kinds of enhancements you want? Less fog on pc we could probably do.

But many of our limitations are not device limitations. They're bandwidth, internet and server speed limitations. And those limits unfortunately don't have easy answers. If for instance you have someone in japan playing a ball game with someone in new york, it just takes a certain time for the messages to travel back and forth to each player and this creates a noticeable delay. This would not be fixed by limiting to a better subset of devices.

So it really depends which limits/lagging/issues you mean.
  • > So, concerning all graphics it would be possible to
    -turn off/on high quality shade?
    -remove fully the fog?
    -create some bigger rooms?

In 80% of my realms, there's always someone to say 'laaaag'

Some of those realm are big with much animated stuff like
    -geyser
    -tons of floating items
    - hundreds of water block
    .... and it's so laggy for some, that they have to leave, their screen just stop working, or they can't trade anything in cash register. What is it due to?

> The limitation of soil in a realm would be due to your personnal server?
    When you talk about ball game... I wonder, how works game like call of duty with insta answer? It's because of huge server?

Ty for answers =)
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    Well it's difficult for me to speak specifically to call of duty since I don't know their technical details, but I can make an educated guess. In a shooting game you usually have several small servers in different locations all with a limited number of players. So for instance.. when I use to play quake, which I imagine is at least a little similar, I would first search online for servers in my area with a low ping, and those are the ones I would play on. Since cubic is a single world for anyone playing from anywhere that solution doesn't work.

Now for larger rooms with more floating items etc.. yes they will play better on a more powerful PC vs say an older mobile device. Is there a solution for the older mobile player in those realms? Not an easy one I'm afraid. It's easier to remove some of the limits for the pc player than it is to optimise more for the low end player. So yes fog could probably be eliminated on pc.. but the downside to that is you may design with some long view in mind (pixel art or something) without realizing that many players cant see it. So yes it's possible but there's a trade-off there.

Could we create some better quality shading for pc? Yes we could.. I've thought of doing some shadows etc.. and maybe we will one day, but it's a little bit difficult to invest too much time in a single platform when other things we could be working on would be good for all players. And we do currently have more mobile players than pc players. Of course adding some specific improvements for pc may help increase the number of pc players.

It's not always clear why people lag. It may be that your realms are taxing their devices but they might also have a bad internet connection or some other issue.
  • Yeah let's split the game and kick half of the players from cc, nice .
    -1, there are many PC only games you can play instead .
  • space_fetusspace_fetus Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    what i take away from this is no fog is do able! i for one would be happy to just get that
  • -Gundam- said:

Yeah let's split the game and kick half of the players from cc, nice .

O.O
  • edited October 2017
    There is also lag when you have a pet with you in a realm with lava floor
  • Well it's difficult for me to speak specifically to call of duty since I don't know their technical details, but I can make an educated guess. In a shooting game you usually have several small servers in different locations all with a limited number of players. So for instance.. when I use to play quake, which I imagine is at least a little similar, I would first search online for servers in my area with a low ping, and those are the ones I would play on. Since cubic is a single world for anyone playing from anywhere that solution doesn't work.

Now for larger rooms with more floating items etc.. yes they will play better on a more powerful PC vs say an older mobile device. Is there a solution for the older mobile player in those realms? Not an easy one I'm afraid. It's easier to remove some of the limits for the pc player than it is to optimise more for the low end player. So yes fog could probably be eliminated on pc.. but the downside to that is you may design with some long view in mind (pixel art or something) without realizing that many players cant see it. So yes it's possible but there's a trade-off there.

Could we create some better quality shading for pc? Yes we could.. I've thought of doing some shadows etc.. and maybe we will one day, but it's a little bit difficult to invest too much time in a single platform when other things we could be working on would be good for all players. And we do currently have more mobile players than pc players. Of course adding some specific improvements for pc may help increase the number of pc players.

It's not always clear why people lag. It may be that your realms are taxing their devices but they might also have a bad internet connection or some other issue.

1000 thanks for those technical precisions kewberth =)
    -Gundam- said:

Off topic
  • UU Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    edited October 2017
    Maybe make it so only the parts visible in the realm load in at a time? So, only the part of the realm not blocked by fog loads in and then as you move revealing more of the realm the parts that come into view by moving load in so the whole realm doesn’t put stress on the device at once. Then, a fogless feature could be added for good devices where the whole realm loads in at once ?

I’m pretty sure this doesn’t work as it’s not a feature yet but I’m kind of curious, have a nice day. ^^
  • Sad >-<
  • So you're also blaming the people with low-end devices? Not all are rich dude...
  • zpinolzpinol MéxicoMember
    This is a great game. The simple graphics are perfect for this tipes of games. We have a lot of items for customize our characters. Maybe is not the perfect game but is one of the best. I lived one year in a country with slow iternet, an d i realize I can play cubic castles with a slow connection. Thanks Cosmic cow staff for create a game that all the world can play and love.
    U said:

Maybe make it so only the parts visible in the realm load in at a time? So, only the part of the realm not blocked by fog loads in and then as you move revealing more of the realm the parts that come into view by moving load in so the whole realm doesn’t put stress on the device at once. Then, a fogless feature could be added for good devices where the whole realm loads in at once ?

I’m pretty sure this doesn’t work as it’s not a feature yet but I’m kind of curious, have a nice day. ^^

Cubic only processes and draws what you can see, so the extra stuff in the distance or even out of camera view is not consuming display resources. This incidentally is one of the reasons why we didn't do unlocked cameras and 1st person views. Because as you tilt the camera down to look at more things in the distance cubic has to draw more.

edited October 2017

U said:

Cubic only processes and draws what you can see, so the extra stuff in the distance or even out of camera view is not consuming display resources. This incidentally is one of the reasons why we didn't do unlocked cameras and 1st person views. Because as you tilt the camera down to look at more things in the distance cubic has to draw more.

So wouldn't a 1000x1000 be the same as a 100x100 for a user since it only draws in bits and pieces at a time?
  • I believe CC should cater to phone users as well but it be nice if the PC users got perks as well. Like larger room sizes even if just 500x500 along with a stamp that removes the fog for pixel arts. Not to many users would suffer either as many phone/tablets are more powerful than the PC I use presently because they have come so far. I want CC to be able to advance on both fronts >:D!
  • There are of course device limits, but those are mostly graphical. Real-time lighting, shadows etc... Are those the kinds of enhancements you want? Less fog on pc we could probably do.

But many of our limitations are not device limitations. They're bandwidth, internet and server speed limitations. And those limits unfortunately don't have easy answers. If for instance you have someone in japan playing a ball game with someone in new york, it just takes a certain time for the messages to travel back and forth to each player and this creates a noticeable delay. This would not be fixed by limiting to a better subset of devices.

So it really depends which limits/lagging/issues you mean.

Less fog? Omg once I played on my dad's computr and I couldnt see a thing.
  • what is cc break :3

I don't know xD
    U said:

So wouldn't a 1000x1000 be the same as a 100x100 for a user since it only draws in bits and pieces at a time?

If drawing were the only thing we had to consider then yes. You could in theory have an infinite world. But there are optimisation issues, like networking bandwidth, mob processing, keeping track of other players in the realm etc..

U said:

If drawing were the only thing we had to consider then yes. You could in theory have an infinite world. But there are optimisation issues, like networking bandwidth, mob processing, keeping track of other players in the realm etc..
    Okay, thank you!
  • U said:

In Call Of Duty example as you and Enza said, isnt it like a big server to connect the players and then each match is held by a player there as a host ? If cubic castles was like that what would be some of the issues ? Thanks.
    PontoZen said:

In Call Of Duty example as you and Enza said, isnt it like a big server to connect the players and then each match is held by a player there as a host ? If cubic castles was like that what would be some of the issues ? Thanks.

It is possible that players may be able to host a match in a shooter, but then in that case the player is hosting/acting as a server. What is more common is a local server being hosted by someone who does this as a hobby or official local servers all over in various locations. But each of these servers are their own thing. Cubic's case is just different. It's a single large persistent world with players playing in it from all over the globe. It's all connected to the same database. It's more comparable to something like EVE online. If it was a bunch of disconnected servers all over the globe there'd be no way to jump to another player, or send a holla, or visit someone else's realm etc..

• Talking about servers, that's why world of tanks have different continent servers. But crossing servers are possible for people with FAST internet service. I once played with player from america and asked to play in asia server: she didn't experieced any lag; while if I enter american server i will totally get max ping.

Talking about graphics (graphic's lag) , I understood what enza meant with 2 different community. I will use world of tanks again as comparison; they made two apps which is WoT(Not sure if PC only) and WoT Blitz(Mobile,PC,Xbox,etc.).
    I first played WoT Blitz since I have expensive internet and cant download huge files. It's close enough to the main WoT. Has adjustable graphics from very plain to lots of shaders. I could play with friends in my Phone and Pc.
    Then I finally downloaded WoT(Pc). Graphics is sooo wayyy amaaazing than blitz. Tank parts and crews are also more defined in gameplay. I even uninstalled WoT blitz after playing xD
    Conclusion: The crossplatform device app is good for friends/portability sake while the focused app is very very great for gaming experience.
  • enza widowenza widow Member
    edited October 2017
    To make it clear (for some "rebel & warrior" players), the aim of that thread is not to split anything,... but to understand how things goes and why i feel, sometimes, that the game limits players.

So kewberth, what about:
    > The amount of floating item
    > The amount of geyser.
    > Slim and amount of any mob limit.

Is it really a server issue? Cause because of those, many give up with my room...
    Strangely, my concern, i could build 5x this and have 0 lag.

Ty

EDIT: sorry you already answered it.... well that's for me the major thing to better.
  • jacklikestuffjacklikestuff Member
    edited October 2017

So kewberth, what about:

I know I'm not Kewberth, but I theorise that the amount of dropped items does not effect the game too much. The reason they despawn is probably not to prevent lag, instead it's to stop popular realms from filling up with them, as users cannot collect other user's items; at least that's my thoughts.

So kewberth, what about:

I know I'm not Kewberth, but I theorise that the amount of dropped items does not effect the game too much. The reason they despawn is probably not to prevent lag, instead it's to stop popular realms from filling up with them, as users cannot collect other user's items; at least that's my thoughts.
    Actually the floaters are quite slow to draw when you have a lot of them. A few is not bad but they add up when people stack many together in a realm + donation tables etc..
  • If there was to be bigger realms and more then maybe when entering a pop up says
    “The realm you are trying to enter is bigger than 100x100 etc. are you sure you want to go?”
    So then if you know you have a slow pc or device you will click no
    (Just a suggestion :))
  • Well it's difficult for me to speak specifically to call of duty since I don't know their technical details, but I can make an educated guess. In a shooting game you usually have several small servers in different locations all with a limited number of players. So for instance.. when I use to play quake, which I imagine is at least a little similar, I would first search online for servers in my area with a low ping, and those are the ones I would play on. Since cubic is a single world for anyone playing from anywhere that solution doesn't work.

1000 thanks for those technical precisions kewberth =)
    -Gundam- said:

Off topic
    How ?

• PontoZen said:

It is possible that players may be able to host a match in a shooter, but then in that case the player is hosting/acting as a server. What is more common is a local server being hosted by someone who does this as a hobby or official local servers all over in various locations. But each of these servers are their own thing. Cubic's case is just different. It's a single large persistent world with players playing in it from all over the globe. It's all connected to the same database. It's more comparable to something like EVE online. If it was a bunch of disconnected servers all over the globe there'd be no way to jump to another player, or send a holla, or visit someone else's realm etc..

Got it, thank you.
  • DemonismDemonism SingaporeMember
    Maybe if you got a better internet you wouldn't have such problems
  • So kewberth, what about:

Actually the floaters are quite slow to draw when you have a lot of them. A few is not bad but they add up when people stack many together in a realm + donation tables etc..
    I've wondered why you even draw in so many floating items in a pile...

Can you make only the bottom floater draw in or would the function for that be slower than drawing in all of them at once?