The Injustice Of The @?!#$%! Filter

Ever go to use a perfectly A-ok word and it happens to not be on the exception list. Like in the past the word Jurassic was quite the struggle...maybe even to this day. I know not for I tread lightly around the word. An hour ago I wanted to wish Missilence a top of the morning and I called her lassy. Except....I was denied by the filter. We can all agree the awkward feeling when we send a message to another person and it looks like we are cursing at them.

Let us all huddle together in our typing grievances and relish in our first world problems with our drinks bought from Starbucks.

Comments

• space_fetusspace_fetus Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    Assassination gets fe every time..
  • enza widowenza widow Member
    edited October 2017
    My concern, filter are useless.

If you want make understand something to someone, you 'll succeed in a way or another, filter or no filter...

...and in some language, filters kill many words.

+1
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    If we remove it completely then other people complain we don't do anything to prevent swearing. But you are all right of course.. the system is not perfect. I don't think a perfect swear filter exists. Even I get caught by it sometimes trying to use certain words. I don't know what the better solution for this is. If I did we'd implement it.
  • i spent alot of my time on an alt i set in the lobbies and based on what i see and hear, i say -1...
    if if they removed the filter, players would go "trigger happy" and swear all they want. one thing i notice about new players or any players in mmos is that they think that they can cuss all they want since there parents cant "monitor" what they are saying. removing the filter system would be an invitation for all younger players to swear their little hearts out... in all honesty i think theres a few words that need to be unfiltered, that are filtered simply because they might contain the a word in them. grey brings up a point with the word jurassic. in the times ive visited kewbs realm museum ive noticed that just megs jurassic park portal is different. the reason being that the word has been filtered so kewberth has to seperate half the word with a - symbol to show the name. so should they change a few words to be unfiltered? yes they should consider doing it if they have the chance to. but other than that i dont think filters need to be removed. as they prevent players from swearing whenever they want... those who call it useless should consider the pros of the system. i appologize if what i said has nothing to do with the topic at hand right now.
  • I think if the word touches another letter its not censored.

Example:

Embarass while not be censored because as* is after the r.

But if I just wrote as* it would be censored.
  • If we remove it completely then other people complain we don't do anything to prevent swearing. But you are all right of course.. the system is not perfect. I don't think a perfect swear filter exists. Even I get caught by it sometimes trying to use certain words. I don't know what the better solution for this is. If I did we'd implement it.

You should remove the words that are not curse words @SirKewberth . Just as a suggestion
    ¯\_ツ_/¯.
  • edited October 2017
    uh if youre a hardcore and you want to see people swearing and/or see like you say the word you want to just clean the notepads in game files "lol". i mean uhh... or lets just suggest add more "wholegoodwords" to that file idk like make a suggestion forum for it to people post and add in nearby updates idk....

edit: i mean uhh the filter is already kinda not proper, cause you can say some bad words, some slang's n things, and uhhh ye... wholegoodwords hmmm i type glass = filter ok, i type one more s by accident #%t$#*^&#$*%# thanks filter... really helped me out looking like i am cursing thanks.
  • edited October 2017
    I like the filter and am for keeping it :D! Yes people will go around the filter but it adds a sense of taboo to it and discourages people cursing I think even if it is a small percentage. I was only making a light post about the struggles of the filter with no aim or objective to this topic other than we can cry together. I placed this in the off topic section and not the suggestions/comments section for a reason.

Any word with the other word for mule gets me everytime. I get so nervous to type Assist or any of those words lol. Space I share your struggles brother!

If this was a suggestion I suggest as others have said to maybe create a topic for people to add words to the list. Then when the devs have time add them to the exception list. I know many Filipino words are censored, it be nice if a collective list over time was made and words were added. Of course it is not important, not compared to things of greater importance. The devs already have their hands full lol.

• I like the filter and am for keeping it :D! Yes people will go around the filter but it adds a sense of taboo to it and discourages people cursing I think even if it is a small percentage. I was only making a light post about the struggles of the filter with no aim or objective to this topic other than we can cry together. I placed this in the off topic section and not the suggestions/comments section for a reason.

Any word with the other word for mule gets me everytime. I get so nervous to type Assist or any of those words lol. Space I share your struggles brother!

If this was a suggestion I suggest as others have said to maybe create a topic for people to add words to the list. Then when the devs have time add them to the exception list. I know many Filipino words are censored, it be nice if a collective list over time was made and words were added. Of course it is not important, not compared to things of greater importance. The devs already have their hands full lol.

Oh Grey, how dare you curse at me!
    I agree with your idea, I was thinking of it too.
  • The Death ReaperThe Death Reaper Behind youMember
    Remove Chatting = No Bad Influence for kids.
  • yeah because sometimes me and my estonian friend we try to say "grass" or "glass" in estonian and we usually use the "grassi" and "glassi" words and well they get ripped
  • Remove Chatting = No Bad Influence for kids.

+1

Can not have people talking about Miley CYRUS AND OTHER SINFUL THINGS! The childrens minds are being ruined!
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    Well you can actually remove chatting. There's all kinds of parental options. Chats only from friends etc.. so those options are there. A parent could, in theory turn friend chat only on, and have their kids play with only their friend in their locked realm. So I think for those who are most concerned with these issues they do have some options in the game.
  • What is horrible is if e.g your in front of a mod and you mispel something, or spell someone's name, (e.g ASSASSINATIONS). And you are thought of cussing.
  • BJDwareBJDware Down underMember, Retired Moderator

If we remove it completely then other people complain we don't do anything to prevent swearing. But you are all right of course.. the system is not perfect. I don't think a perfect swear filter exists. Even I get caught by it sometimes trying to use certain words. I don't know what the better solution for this is. If I did we'd implement it.

I Approached you once in regards to this.
    No it can never be perfect as you said. But it is possible to get somewhat close to it. Though it will take an insane amount of work to do so. I Worked it out in the end that is not worth the amount of work required. It would take months, if not, longer to build such a list.

Misspelling is the biggest trigger from players.
    Then there is multiple languages to consider.
    Then there is the endless amount of abbreviations and slang.
    The english language is large enough, without considering those points as well.
  • ya ive had the struggle of putting a fine word and it looked like I was cussing.