Dev Diary 3

SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
Continuing to make a cubic object in blender.

Note these videos are aimed at beginners, or people unfamiliar with 3D. If you already know 3d modeling it probably will be slow for you.

Comments

• EloquenceEloquence Member
    edited September 2017
    Omg yaaaaaay. Another video! Love it. Intro sequence is ♡
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    The song for the intro isn't quite right... just grabbed the end of another song I had but it doesn't quite fit. Ill switch it out for next vid with different selection and try to find something that fits better.
  • The song for the intro isn't quite right... just grabbed the end of another song I had but it doesn't quite fit. Ill switch it out for next vid with different selection and try to find something that fits better.

I see your view... but I still love it regardless :P I'm mainly in love with the visuals for the intro but :P
  • Professional KillerProfessional Killer GreeceForum Moderator, Retired Moderator
    Good one, can't wait for the next part. :)
  • I cant wait to go home amd watch this! Ive been taking 3d animation and visual effects at the technical cemter i go to and using blender is quite enjoyable! I just wish i had access to cubic castles blender files so i can play around with some XD give me something to work on when we get a break!
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    edited September 2017
    Might be possible to post some .blend files for you to play with. But as far as 3d modeling and texturing goes cubic is quite simple relative to other games. I will make a video after finishing the coffin talking about some of the more advanced modeling and texturing considerations for modern game engines like Unity and Unreal.
  • Might be possible to post some .blend files for you to play with. But as far as 3d modeling and texturing goes cubic is quite simple relative to other games. I will make a video after finishing the coffin talking about some of the mode advanced modeling and texturing considerations for modern game engines like Unity and Unreal.

Ok! Right now in out class we're learming about edit mode. So right now were assigned to follow a tutorial about making minecraft steve and a minecraft scene right now weve been working on a lot of models. Like a bunny, a house, a rocketship. All sorts of basic tutorials.
    Sounds good. Making lots of different kinds of models is a good way to learn.
  • Sounds good. Making lots of different kinds of models is a good way to learn.

First day of the class we started by burning suzanne(blenders monket mascot) it was both funny and a bit dark XD
  • Wow! Awesome vids, So we're going to have coffins for halloween?!
  • Aj BaryzaAj Baryza Member
    edited September 2017
    Wow! Love the video cant wait to see more
    Edit: we will have coffin on this halloween? 0:
    edited September 2017
    lucaaa795 said:

Are the clothing items created in blender too?

Well items at this point have been created in 3d studio max, blender, and modo -- which 3d program you use isn't really important. They all pretty much do the same thing. So yes you could create hats in blender or modo or 3d studio. I think most of the current clothing items were created in 3d studio and modo, but I'm using blender more every day. I'm using all blender in the video primarily because I think it's something everyone who's interested in can actually go and get and install on their system and play with, since it's free.

And yeah Halloween pack will have coffins in it, including the one being made in the videos. I made some fancier ones already, but I wanted to do the simplest version for the videos so as to keep them short, while still showing how an item is made.
  • GalaGala Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    cool things! Sir:D
  • Nice halloween decoration (coffin) i really like it please make color
  •   Ed  Ed Game Moderator
    These videos make me want to try 3d modeling so bad
    Also a question would you consider making a section on the forums where you could take already modeled items from players? something like steam workshop
  • Great vid, are the coffins small like the vases?
    Ed said:

These videos make me want to try 3d modeling so bad
    Also a question would you consider making a section on the forums where you could take already modeled items from players? something like steam workshop

I don't think we would do that no. I like steam workshop and if i had a single player game i'd open it up to player mods, but for cubic it's not really a good fit.
    lucaaa795 said:

Oooo what about showing us in next epidose how you guys are creating a clothing item? :o

I suppose I could do a hat in the future...
    Eagence said:

Btw do you plan to share any animated models in future videos by chance like a qbee walking, movement animations of pets like elfs..? or show other engines like unity, unreal etc? What do you also think about blender vs others? Which one feels better?

Not sure about animated, because most of the animation in cubic is actually done in the code and not in the 3d program. There are a few exceptions like the qbee and a little bit of the farm animal animation.

I don't think I'll show Unreal or Unity, since it doesn't apply directly to cc, but I might show a little bit about the texturing for those kinds of engines just to compare and contrast the simple cubic texturing with more detailed and complex texturing used in engines designed to run on pc or new consoles, so people understand that I just covered some of it as it relates to game development.

With the 3D programs they all have their strengths and weaknesses. All I can really say is that Blender is at least very close to just as good as anything else I've used. It does feel like it's maybe slightly behind other commercial programs in some respects, but the development speed is really fast and it's catching up to the major commercial solutions at a pace that must have them worried. Really the only reason I can think of not to use Blender vs another solution is that big studios do seem to hire people for maya / 3d studio etc.. so if the goal of learning 3d is to get a job working in a big studio then you'd probably be at a disadvantage. Other programs might have simpler 1 button solutions to export to commercial game engines right now. But in general if you're doing personal work or you're working as an indie of some kind there's really no reason not to use blender. You don't have to use it just because it's free. It's also very good.