Debate ≠ Fights

QbirdQbird Member
edited September 2017 in General Chat
Some people the forums don't seem to make a difference . I love debating, but when it goes in directly criticizing the person behind the opinion, I can't stand it . Please , don't turn debates into argue . The most wonderful thing about people is what they share, including opinions, so just listen and answer wisely .

Comments

• elemental godelemental god The netherlandsMember
    Most argues only comea around because what the argued about says.... so mostly it can also be because the person that is being argued about

In other words: argueings cant be stopped
  • Most argues only comea around because what the argued about says.... so mostly it can also be because the person that is being argued about

In other words: argueings cant be stopped

But it can be settled in private .
  • PiousPious Member
    edited September 2017
    An argument is simply one party/individual trying to win over or persuade another party or audience. If anything, a debate is a more heated argument. Arguments can be subtle. Arguments can even go unnoticed. Unrealized. If someone's got their wits about them, they can incite someone's actions or emotional response, without the other person realizing what is going on. Through the art of persuasion. The art of argument. Rhetoric.

So, you argue in debates. Debates are in fact arguments.

What you meant to say is; Debates ≠ Fights.
  • Pious said:

An argument is simply one party/individual trying to win over or persuade another party or audience. If anything, a debate is a more heated argument. Arguments be subtle. Arguments can even go unnoticed. Unrealized. If someone's got their wits about them, they can incite someone's actions or emotional response, without the other person realizing what is going on. Through the art of persuasion. The art of argument. Rhetoric.

So, you argue in debates. Debates are in fact arguments.

What you meant to say is; Debates ≠ Fights.

Sorry, I'm not English, I got the title wrong >.<'
    Thanks for telling me .
  • UU Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    It's because nobody can take constructive criticism
  • Nerve said:

Don't forget that some can't say constructive criticism, but still give their opinion in a clumsy, and sometimes arrogant way .
  • UU Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    -Gundam- said:

Nerve said:

Don't forget that some can't say constructive criticism, but still give their opinion in a clumsy, and sometimes arrogant way .
    Either way people still can't take it
  • Nerve said:

-Gundam- said:

Nerve said:

Either way people still can't take it
    Some people*.
  • cuberic_79cuberic_79 Member
    edited September 2017
    This is probably targeted at me after what happened lately, i believe in freedom of speech but not in a negative way, so please next time you want to share an opinion, dont share it in a negative way and bossy way. Btw i was the one affected since i got a medium warning
  • This is probably targeted at me after what happened lately, i believe in freedom of speech but not in a negative way, so please next time you want to share an opinion, dont share it in a negative way and bossy way. Btw i was the one affected since i got a medium warning

Since you appearently took part in a fight , The "next time you want to share an opinion, dont share it in a negative way" , you might want to apply your advice to yourself . But no, it wasnt directed to anyone, it would have been dujb since this thread is about stopping fights , or at least in public , because most of them on cc's forum starts by a debate, and two people get mad at each other for no reason .
  • -Gundam- said:

This is probably targeted at me after what happened lately, i believe in freedom of speech but not in a negative way, so please next time you want to share an opinion, dont share it in a negative way and bossy way. Btw i was the one affected since i got a medium warning

Since you appearently took part in a fight , The "next time you want to share an opinion, dont share it in a negative way" , you might want to apply your advice to yourself . But no, it wasnt directed to anyone, it would have been dujb since this thread is about stopping fights , or at least in public , because most of them on cc's forum starts by a debate, and two people get mad at each other for no reason .
    Well i was trying to be nice but you guys didnt leave me a chance.
  • -Gundam- said:

Well i was trying to be nice but you guys didnt leave me a chance.
    Why is so hard to make people understand such a simple thing ...
  • Ya know, I thought this said Debate ≠ Fidgets
  • Ya know, I thought this said Debate ≠ Fidgets

Say no to fidget spinners
  • AshiMagariAshiMagari The internet :PMember
    Debates and arguments are, in essence, the same thing. There are different connotations to each because of how the facts are presented.
    In a debate, there are two ways to get your point across:
    1. Prove your point with ethos, pathos, logos, etc.
    2. Disprove their point with ethos, pathos, logos, etc.

Meanwhile, there are two ways to "win" an argument:
    2. Discredit your opposition with ethos, pathos, logos, etc.

The only difference here is the fact that one is "polite" and only seeks to disprove an opinion, rather than the "impolite" one directly attacking the person voicing said opinion.
  • edited September 2017
    In highschool there was a master debator who ended up going to Harvard. He was a pompous jerk who was head of the debate club. I hope he had hot scalding coffee spilt on him. Just a tad, no three degree burns or skin grafts necessary.
  • Debates and arguments are, in essence, the same thing. There are different connotations to each because of how the facts are presented.
    In a debate, there are two ways to get your point across:
    2. Disprove their point with ethos, pathos, logos, etc.

Meanwhile, there are two ways to "win" an argument:
    2. Discredit your opposition with ethos, pathos, logos, etc.

The only difference here is the fact that one is "polite" and only seeks to disprove an opinion, rather than the "impolite" one directly attacking the person voicing said opinion.

I changed the title hours ago .
  • debates never bad they can open your mind a lot, but i suggest never start a debate with someone who already tryed to avenge something about/ from the past :)
    then it can turn into a fight
  • Gao_Gosi said:

debates never bad they can open your mind a lot, but i suggest never start a debate with someone who already tryed to avenge something about/ from the past :)
    then it can turn into a fight

You shouldn't debate with someone , but only his opinions. This is why I can easily totally disagree with you on a subject, but on another thread , agree or support you . Sometimes I do both in the same thread.

I would also criticize arguments supporting an idea I agree with if I think they aren't true, and this is what makes debates in my opinion.
  • Bumpidy bump .