We need something to stop "name scammers"

recently, famous ppl (and high-level players) are getting their names copied by scammers to make the victim a bad status

The name creator needs to be a bit more hard, invisible symbols should be banned and there could be a way of not allowing Exact names with capital i (example: someone's name is lololol, a scammer could use capital i to make it look the same...) should not be allowed too

this update is a need to do, because without the "pros" the game may die!

vote, comment more strategies and if you dont agree, please say the reason

Comments

• seasideseaside Member
    It's their freedom to make whatever name they want. But, if someone copy's your name to scam other players I would contact a moderator to sort it out before it progresses too far. If someone just happens to have a similar name as another player than it is not a problem as long as they're not trying to say that they're the other player.
  • Piratax10Piratax10 Member
    edited May 2017
    SeaSide said:

It's their freedom to make whatever name they want. But, if someone copy's your name to scam other players I would contact a moderator to sort it out before it progresses too far. If someone just happens to have a similar name as another player than it is not a problem as long as they're not trying to say that they're the other player.

ikr, but the name scam tactic is becoming popular and its a dangerous tactic for your status, people starts to think you are definitely a scammer
    and i dont mean similar names, i mean names like "SeaSIde" for example, that are 100% a copy
  • elemental godelemental god The netherlandsMember
    maybe the capital letters and such that will look like another letter when used can be made like looking otherwise, so you can clearly tell what type of letter is used

or just dont even allow capital letters to be used...... but i dont know how people will react on that
  • Lucas The SpiderLucas The Spider U.K, England Member
    Just take the copyable name for yourselfs
  • I don't see how this affects players with the real name lol
    I have a name that can't really be copied, since I am a lvl 60, clanless, non-patron and have a cap on my L - want to copy me, you're seriously doing some real work xD

Your level usually puts you apart from these "name scammers" :P
  • Liberated said:

I don't see how this affects players with the real name lol
    I have a name that can't really be copied, since I am a lvl 60, clanless, non-patron and have a cap on my L - want to copy me, you're seriously doing some real work xD

lolipop was a victim of this and got banned because of this...
  • Piratax10 said:

Liberated said:

Yah, and the moderator who did it was obviously clueless and never confronted them.
    No disrespect towards them, but that ban was poorly done.
  • Liberated said:

If you have an I in your name, it isn't exactly that hard to copy your name. Plus, the game is populated by children. Do you really think they will document the name, clan, and patron tag of someone who scams them? Most can't even remember names.
  • edited May 2017

maybe the capital letters and such that will look like another letter when used can be made like looking otherwise, so you can clearly tell what type of letter is used

or just dont even allow capital letters to be used...... but i dont know how people will react on that

What? I cant even stand for none capital letters in my name D:
  • DeemzDeemz Member
    Its Very Sad That Events Like This Happened,
  • Sad that lollipop was banned
    Poor fella had no idea what was coming in life
    "Blame"
    Eh let's hope that no more name stealers
  • SuperxtremeSuperxtreme The NetherlandsGame Moderator
    Liberated said:

Piratax10 said:

Liberated said:

Yah, and the moderator who did it was obviously clueless and never confronted them.
    2 days ago a impersonator was confronted and I changed his name. The real one was unbanned via Mabz.
    Yesterday another impersonator hosted vending scam. And real lollipop banned again by another mod instead of the fake one.

The options:

>iollipop<
    >Loiiipop<
    >LoLiipop<
    >LoLiLpop<
    >L0lli0pop<
    ....and more

Those bans were not poorly done. It's more a pain for the mods and the innocent players.

But yeah...We need new name system imo:

- Only capital at the first letters
    - No Symbols
    - No space before/after your name

Etc
  • Liberated said:

Piratax10 said:

Liberated said:

2 days ago a impersonator was confronted and I changed his name. The real one was unbanned via Mabz.
    Yesterday another impersonator hosted vending scam. And real lollipop banned again by another mod instead of the fake one.

The options:

>iollipop<
    >Loiiipop<
    >LoLiipop<
    >LoLiLpop<
    >L0lli0pop<
    ....and more

Those bans were not poorly done. It's more a pain for the mods and the innocent players.

- No Symbols

Etc
    Yah, I was a little upset reading this topic and the thread made by Lollipop.
    It just reminded me of when I got banned. Nothing was said to me or reason as to why I had gotten banned. Just would be nice if the moderators confronted the person privately about issues, before just hitting the ban button. I feel it would prevent things like this. I understand moderating is not easy with people being offline, changing names, scamming, cussing, etc.
    I wouldn't be able to do your job, Super, tbh.
    but, just randomly coming online to be banned w/o reason or being able to talk about it in the jail or on the forums without people commenting rude things absolutely sucked. I understand exactly how Lollipop felt, which is why I commented this ban was poorly done.
    BUT then again, we are just human and we all make mistakes. We live and learn from them, hopefully. >.>
  • i suggest that I must have line above and down
  •  gdog gdog Retired Moderator
    edited May 2017
    Liberated said:

Liberated said:

Piratax10 said:

Liberated said:

The options:

>iollipop<
    >Loiiipop<
    >LoLiipop<
    >LoLiLpop<
    >L0lli0pop<
    ....and more

- No Symbols

Etc
    Yah, I was a little upset reading this topic and the thread made by Lollipop.
    It just reminded me of when I got banned. Nothing was said to me or reason as to why I had gotten banned. Just would be nice if the moderators confronted the person privately about issues, before just hitting the ban button. I feel it would prevent things like this. I understand moderating is not easy with people being offline, changing names, scamming, cussing, etc.
    I wouldn't be able to do your job, Super, tbh.
    but, just randomly coming online to be banned w/o reason or being able to talk about it in the jail or on the forums without people commenting rude things absolutely sucked. I understand exactly how Lollipop felt, which is why I commented this ban was poorly done.
    BUT then again, we are just human and we all make mistakes. We live and learn from them, hopefully. >.>
    You should get info when banned or warned in the form of a pop up dialogue box.
    What do you think the majority of people are going to say when you tell them the details of their ban over chat? They are going to deny it/plead innocence.

Mods don't just ban people on hearsay or on a whim. Out of the 1000s of bans this 1 case has caused what 2 issues. I'd say that was an incredibly high success rate tbh.

Even with the accidental ban of the real lollipop it was reverted both times by support.

I as I'm sure all mods will look a little deeper and cross our t's and dot our i's in future reports with people with Ls in their name.

My worry is that these 2 cases could affect how easily we can punish future scammers.
    If we change the process of punishment too much or even at all then that will leave the door open for lots of scammers to go unpunished. They shouldn't be given such leeway just because of 2 cases.

• LazydanLazydan Member
    edited May 2017
    "But yeah...We need new name system imo:
    - No Symbols
    - No space before/after your name"

+1000 this,..
  • Maybe change the main font into another font which doesn't have similiar characters?
  • epieownzepieownz Member
    edited May 2017
    The most important thing to do is to find the source of the problem.
    personally my knowledge of how reports and bans work is limited.

To me it seems that this ban was caused by the real lollipop being reported instead of the fake one.

some possible options to make sure this doesnt happen again.
    -checking IP adress ( may not work if both players use vpn)
    - checking for doplogangers
    - changing name system
    - checking if the reported player was online or in the realm or place, where the reports were made. /namechecking
    - there could be more... but these are the ones i can easily think of.

of course its up to the developers/ mods to find the easiest solution to prevent these doploganger scams/bans in the future.

•  gdog gdog Retired Moderator
    epieownz said:

To me it seems that this ban was caused by the real lollipop being reported instead of the fake one.

- changing name system
    - checking if the reported player was online or in the realm or place, where the reports were made. /namechecking

of course its up to the developers/ mods to find the easiest solution to prevent these doploganger scams/bans in the future.

"-checking IP adress ( may not work if both players use vpn)"
    Mods cant check ip addresses of players very easily.
    It would require support for all cases which it not feasible.
    "- changing name system"
    Changing the name system at this stage may not be possible.
    Maybe a font change would be possible.
    "- checking if the reported player was online or in the realm or place, where the reports were made. /namechecking"
    That would require support again as mods dont have access to the server logs.

Again this case is extremely isolated and was dealt with by support.
  • PandoritePandorite Member
    edited May 2017
    I actually made a alt called Pand0rite because of this. Any suggestions on other names people could potentially use?
    LAZYDAN said:

"But yeah...We need new name system imo:
    - No Symbols
    - No space before/after your name"

+1000 this,..

People can use a space character seriously? This makes it next to impossible to know by name alone

Edit: Tried to make every possible varation on my name was stopped by. "you have to many users. Seriously if they allow "Pandorite" and " Pandorite" And " Pandorite" etc we should be able to use all variations to prevent people using our names. Well locked out 7 or 8 possibilities at least. Seems ridiculous a space allows you to duplicate someone's name.
  • PimyddPimydd Member
    A space can only be placed before the name and it is easily visible
  • Pimydd said:

A space can only be placed before the name and it is easily visible

Maybe but some people just see what they wanna see. And sometimes it's so crowded/chat moving to quick to notice.
  • edited May 2017

Liberated said:

Piratax10 said:

Liberated said:

The options:

>iollipop<
    >Loiiipop<
    >LoLiipop<
    >LoLiLpop<
    >L0lli0pop<
    ....and more

- No Symbols

Etc
    Or, maybe just change the font for capital I? Along with the last two. I don't like the first because I just have to capitalize both H's in my name.
    epieownz said:

- changing name system

lol
    VPN's will not give you the same IP as someone else using a VPN.
  • Simply make a few accounts blocking people from copying your name.
    Mine- ASSASSINATIONS
    i have blocked people from making false accounts with my name unless its really obvious.
  • Simply make a few accounts blocking people from copying your name.
    Mine- ASSASSINATIONS
    i have blocked people from making false accounts with my name unless its really obvious.

Yea when I heard the announcement about these name scammers, I made an alt BIuejay_1 (with a lowercase "l")