Flamerock has won the Dragon Pet raffle! Next drawing prize soon to be announced.

The hidden weakness that could make Cubic Castles fail! [Theory]

=MGN=RedEagle=MGN=RedEagle Member
in Community 38.55 Karma
Cubic Castles is an awesome place to make friends and memories but it does have one hidden flaw!

Those who are here, those who read this are the few that were not effected by the flaw but thousands of people who come to Cubic Castles, leave and never come back.

Why?

It's a question I've been trying to solve for a while. =MGN= started as a Blockheads clan but more recently we have been focusing on Cubic Castles.

However, as we bring over active users there seems to be an issue.

Maybe if we look from the perspective of a new user we can see why people bounce from the game. We have to look back how overwhelming it was to be a newbie.

There are so many people who look like they know what they're doing, busy and on there way. Some are trading items, others running off and doing quests...

There seems to be so much action going on but getting an 'in' is difficult.

I honestly find the cubic castles works more efficiently and smoothly than most social networks but there is one big challenge:

Building relationships.

That newbie feels totally alone and we the community need to make them feel welcome

Let's grow this game together by reaching out to new people and making them feel welcome :)

What were your biggest confusions and challenges you faced as a newbie & how could we solve them as a community?

Comments

• - Angelica -- Angelica - Member
    6.85 Karma
    I had a lot of trouble learning how to craft clothes. (shirt and pants) I asked many people for help and nobody helped me, I went to the cubic castles wiki and found my answer. One of the greatest feelings I felt in this game.

I think people should start helping new people and pay attention to those that are asking for help.
  • Cuteabby4445Cuteabby4445 Member
    7.10 Karma
    When I was a noob I was wondering how the game worked and I got 'scammed' alot because I didn't know they were scams. I didn't have any friends yet because no one would pay attention to me because I was a 'noob'.

I hope this foundation will help noobs with learning more about the game and how not to be scammed :p
  • 26.15 Karma
    BUT THATS JUS A THEORY, A GAME THEORY!
  • Piratax10Piratax10 Member
    edited April 20 62.25 Karma
    actually, i had almost no problems when i started playing cc, the only thing i did not know was what the word "scam" meant, because i had never ever heard about that word before, but, crafiting, socializing, saving for a reg were no problem for me, i also did never beg for something, because i knew that you have to work hard for something.

But, to the social part, theres a little detail, 2014-15 community was better and more helpful then 2016-17, Money and fame changes the people
  • AshiMagariAshiMagari The internet :PMember
    6.65 Karma
    An MMO is a time commitment. Anyone who plays MMO's should know and expect that. It is not hard for a new player to learn the basics. There are the starter quests that will introduce them to the Learning Center and the Town Center. If they go exploring in mines, they are almost guaranteed to run into someone else that would be willing to help them learn more. If they explore the overworlds at all they will be likely to run into someone to help them.
    When I started, the quests didn't even exist. I still managed to figure it out all by myself, with just the starter tutorial.
    I think the problem new players might be having more than anything else is that they just expect to know everything about the game right off the bat, which is not the case. All of the information is there for them, they just have to READ it. Ironically enough, that's the same problem a lot of more experienced players are having when they fall for register swap and vending machine "scams".

For the love of everything good.
    Please.
    READ!
  • -GreyCoralKing--GreyCoralKing- FamiliarMember, Familiar
    72.80 KarmaFamiliar
    I can defiantly see this game being very overwhelming to a new player. When I started there were zero tutorials, zero help groups. There was not a strong player powered base like there is today and I almost quit. While it is true there are now tutorials and many help groups the playing field has shifted to a new problem. The amount of a features that have been introduced is staggering and for a new person who is not patient may run away in fear with all the varying concepts like fadey foam. I know if I am away for only several months I want to cry because I have to digest all the new things added lol.
  • MisticallMisticall Member
    50.95 Karma

An MMO is a time commitment. Anyone who plays MMO's should know and expect that. It is not hard for a new player to learn the basics. There are the starter quests that will introduce them to the Learning Center and the Town Center. If they go exploring in mines, they are almost guaranteed to run into someone else that would be willing to help them learn more. If they explore the overworlds at all they will be likely to run into someone to help them.
    When I started, the quests didn't even exist. I still managed to figure it out all by myself, with just the starter tutorial.
    I think the problem new players might be having more than anything else is that they just expect to know everything about the game right off the bat, which is not the case. All of the information is there for them, they just have to READ it. Ironically enough, that's the same problem a lot of more experienced players are having when they fall for register swap and vending machine "scams".

Please.
    READ!

"There is this magical thing called reading." AshiMagari 2017
    best quote ever. 10/10
  • =MGN=RedEagle=MGN=RedEagle Member
    edited April 20 38.55 Karma

Please.
    READ!

One thing to consider is how easy reading is for some. I spent read more than most here (50 million plus words as a teen) but I find it takes a lot of work for me. When tired, I can't read well and have to strain a lot to.

I only game when tried which is one reason I have never completed Cubic Castles adventure mode.

Also a lot of highly social people don't have the staying power to do a lot of reading. That should not effect scams though, the scam warnings are small.

BUT THATS JUS A THEORY, A GAME THEORY!

Lel :P

I can defiantly see this game being very overwhelming to a new player. When I started there were zero tutorials, zero help groups. There was not a strong player powered base like there is today and I almost quit. While it is true there are now tutorials and many help groups the playing field has shifted to a new problem. The amount of a features that have been introduced is staggering and for a new person who is not patient may run away in fear with all the varying concepts like fadey foam. I know if I am away for only several months I want to cry because I have to digest all the new things added lol.

It would be awesome if they rewarded us for helping new people.
  • PiousPious Member
    21.25 Karma
    I feel like I'd never had stuck around if I had been helped when I started this game. I first played CC when my younger brother introduced it to me, and I had fun competing with him to have a cooler realm (at that time, it meant having tons of tree-leaves and geysers were also a big deal because at the time they were still some hundreds of cubits at that time, I believe, in the old Cubit Store). I appreciated the newbie feel, and moving up in classes now until for a time, I reached the "top," or what I felt that was personally.

To me, the real issue here is that there is no longer a huge dividing factor between "classes" anymore. I know how that might sound, but bear with me. (Pious, you darn segregationist >:o) But, what I'm trying to say is, there used to be a clear distinction between the newbie players still using Piggy Banks because Registers were 1kc. They didn't have as much as the high-level players, and yet still strived to get that way. Meanwhile, the higher level players typically had more, and traded amongst themselves, friended each other, etc. Now, people feel the newbie players need to be handed things so they'll remain in the game. They think that a 'noob' is less capable than they are, and so they should do "giveaways" and events and such.

Don't get me wrong though. In no way am I against giveaways. I feel like they do do some good for the community. And help some out. But there just isn't really that traditional newbie anymore because of it. And so now, even when you enter a realm you'd consider a noob's, they'll have a shop set up, some items way beyond their level-range, and they're typically more rude than they used to be as well. You have noobs (that almost auto-corrected to something not so PG) now that are calling other new players noobs, and even people that are way higher levels. They feel that others are beneath them. And I feel that some of this stems off behavior they observe in the higher level players.

I personally feel we ought to just allow new players to play the game as they wish, and not push our help onto them all of the time. Some of them just need to get into the hang of things gradually themselves. I'm not saying don't help them. Certainly do if they ask. I just feel that this outreach to 'aid all new players!' isn't as necessary as it might seem. It's fun for most all people to discover most things on their own, as @"- Angelica -" described her first big discovery.

But hey, this is all my opinion. And it may receive some back-lash, and some of you may agree. But as always,

Best Regards,
    Pious
  • Mcwolf the SaneMcwolf the Sane BangladeshMember
    38.65 Karma
    I agree with Ashi. It's about giving time and commitment. Every game ever made is not for everybody. Some people like easy-to-play games like Temple Run. Others like games where you die a thousand times and still don't give up, like Dark Souls. You can't expect to start an MMO and learn everything in an hour in a tutorial. That type of spoon feeding would instantly make the game boring because there'd be nothing else to discover and learn something new everyday. MMOs are about discovery, because it takes place in a new world, so you almost start off like a newborn baby and learn the things around you slowly and develop skills and new knowledge. It is supposed to be overwhelming. And people who like that and take it as a challenge are ultimately the people who stick around. Makes the whole thing deeper.

Building relationships is not hard either. Because new people are continously starting the game. So you're never alone out there. If you move around a bit, go to hollas, hang around in the official realms, try strike up a conversation with a fellow miner in the mines. Not everyone is nice to a new player, but if you stick around a while, you will find players of similar interests and develop good friendship. There are lots of players willing to talk in the game. So it's not hard, it just takes some time, like everything else in the world. Friendships are the best part about CC. And we all were once new, and now we all have friends we'll never forget.

There are some players who bully new players and those players are usually the ones running a race to be rich. All they care about is how to make cubits in as short a time as possible. They don't have time for community and friendships, and new players. They only make friends with other rich people, for benefits, not friendship. So I don't think we should care about those people.
  • EagenceEagence Member
    edited April 21 5.60 Karma
    I don't know why certain people here talking about scams, lack of measures to teach about scams or how certain people use vpns to by-pass rules for small gains...

About new starters and tutorials I have to tell this much directly, the game is not the same game as beta times, not all people may go and find moderators or admins add them to their friendlist, access beta as they were before, get 30*30 starter realms as well as huge starter helps or gain chances to show themselfs.

In most of the cases, if they are lucky they just be miners for a long time and can be friends with some high lvl players. If they are good they improve their skills in parkours or races and gain some chance to make builds or show themselfs.

There is really low number of players who really help them, trying to improve their skills and knowlage instead of just giving them some items, organize giveaways ects. I am not saying people who provide them tools are wrong but I know those "richi-rich- flamingos" who brag with their items may do way better then being such annoying... And I think there should be more assistance to them to improve their tallent...

Besides that, the game is not like old times, its now even bigger now...

There was not a strong player powered base like there is today and I almost quit.

While it is true there are now tutorials and many help groups the playing field has shifted to a new problem. The amount of a features that have been introduced is staggering and for a new person who is not patient may run away in fear with all the varying concepts like fadey foam.

And just because there is a strong player base made out of circles of rich trade merchants and pros builders as well as clan leaders doesn't mean that its better for them, its actually totally opposite those who experienced before generally abuse them by misinforiming them about prices, by selling things way overexpensive or by scaming them...

As long as the old community acting that "selfish" and not trying to build things for new comers to enjoy help and support them and teach their skills, or just focus on scammers, catching scammers and building shops and scam guide realms.. This cycle just continues..

And also it obviously makes no sense to talk about all that "abuse cases" or "scams" or "new mod requiremets" since this thing is not even realated with those... People who can't get joy out of game and who envy others turn into rule breakers due to not discovering their skills. People who are highly rich and well known are actually not like what they seem around mods and they just abuse new people, try to fool them in their shops by sending bunch of hollas and then just brag with their overexagrated meaningless collections that they gained by selling their values...

It could be highly better if both people as well as developers would show more attension on this cycle...

But they will continue talking about "the guy who abuse system and make 100 alts and get top hats to make 1k cubits if thats worth his time and if he manages to sell 100 top hats". They make plans about how to ban them, think its their position to decide on whether its wrong or right and collect bunch of evidences act like scam hunters or mods, break lots of rules, spy on others ect ect. ( I am not even talking about those corrupted players who blackmail scammers with photos)

Most of those issues are actually rising due to a group of people braging with their meaningless richness and other group of people who can't discover their tallents to be that rich. Basic hierarchy pyramid with huge gaps between rich and poor...

If we could building more wealthy relationships that would actually help people and improve their skills game would be way more entertaining and competitive for all but almost all people lose their mind on marketing, deciding what to buy and sell from what price and who to fool....
  • CortanaCortana UnknownFamiliarForum Moderator, Game Moderator, Familiar
    70.70 KarmaFamiliar
    Removed some comments. Don't bring up/suggest exploits to other users, thanks.
  • Bluejay_1Bluejay_1 Member
    22.25 Karma
    What was my biggest challenge as a new player (newbie or noob is not very polite). Well it was gettin started. But in my day it was a lil bit easier to do the adventure mode to help introduce the game to me, that helped a lot! And clothes lol *^^* well I couldn't find the recipe for it but I eventually found out. And leveling up as a new player is easy and it gives u perks to help u get on ur way. So I didn't have really have much for problems are a new player. But I got scammed XD..it was a drop game and I didn't know any better. But I recovered fast. But there are friendly people and lots of giveaways for players so I got items and sold them. I found Pen's yard rentals (back then was community yard rentals) very helpful with making cubits. So I didn't have much of trouble in my early days and I've met very helpful and very good friends :)
  • Enza WidowEnza Widow Member
    10.45 Karma
    Really? The clevest of cc hate flamingo ? A so sad revation ...^^

I wont be friend with any there, but there's nothing to save or to prevent of.
    It's a game and since it's a game, each one have to have fun with it.
    Some will play in some way, some in some other way.

Some like to do giveaway instead of sharing some build skills.
    Some prefer to be the well-known gossip caretaker of cc instead of cheating lonely in a corner.
    Some will spend all there game life to be jealous of others for some reasons.
    Some will spend time to vanity item, some to private build.
    Some will love help other and sharing moment.

But the game has his own life time and nobody is allowed to say what each one or each other should do....

Anyway, my first month in cc wasn't easy... lot better now.
    But there are still many "barbarian thing" & "hostile interface" in that game.

• SoulunardiSoulunardi Member
    edited April 23 0.25 Karma
    My first time... Well, I had only 1 friend, He wanted to take my whole realm for himself... I banned him. I could just say, the community was not such a great thing to be around, I was often ignored or people would use their gender to infer that I was stupid. Its a lot better now, I could say. I have a room in my realm that states what most of my life in CC has been like. But they were mostly the good things. (Weird Castle!) Now my friend Hammy565, (My best friend) plays the game rarely. I really like this game, I spent 10 dollars on it. It better not fail. :P