Flamerock has won the Dragon Pet raffle! Next drawing prize soon to be announced.

The forums should have signatures

UnceticUncetic FamiliarMember, Familiar
edited April 20 in Suggestions & Comments 4.20 Karma
One or two lines that can also include Gifs, and pictures from sites like GIPHY, or Imgur using the embedded link, or having the choice to upload a picture or Gif from your computer files.
Should this be a thing?
  1. Opinion on the subject?22 votes
    1. Yes
      45.45%
    2. No
      50.00%
    3. Suggested Before
        4.55%

Comments

• StevenlolStevenlol Member
    66.45 Karma
    From other forums that I've been on, sigs make the page look too messy
  • MisticallMisticall Member
    50.95 Karma
    +100000 we need this!
    @Horus
  • WuffyWuffy Member
    8.05 Karma
    This has been suggested before, Admins refuse to bring back the signatures because it may cause lag especially for an user with slow internet connection.
  • lucaaa795lucaaa795 Potatoe's worldMember
    204.85 Karma
    What about just words?No gifs/emojis/images.
    Those would just ruin this forum.
  • -Joystick--Joystick- FamiliarMember, Familiar
    43.60 KarmaFamiliar
    lucaaa795 said:

What about just words?No gifs/emojis/images.
    Those would just ruin this forum.

I do completly agree :/
  • BJDwareBJDware Down underRetired Moderator
    96.70 Karma
    Why would we need sigs when we have profile activity?
  • 16.00 Karma
    Signatures are annoying for multiple reasons
    They make the pages load longer
    Some people have gargantuan pictures that would take up at least 3-4 one lined posts
    We're better off without them.
  • CoolGuyBossCoolGuyBoss Member
    3.05 Karma

Sigs would be cool, but it makes it look super messy plus, people could put hateful things about others and once they do that if people see they will spread it and spread it around until it gets to the targeted person.
  •  gdog gdog FamiliarForum Moderator, Game Moderator, Familiar
    edited April 21 60.60 KarmaFamiliar
    Yes sigs should come back.
    Along with all the other features we used to have.
    Like easy ways to add spoilers, links, videos, text editing stuff. etc.
    Hell even simple stuff like a return to the top of the page button.

The forums we use right now are laughable in comparison to any other forums I've ever used.

What a well functioning forum looks like.
    good forum

Sigs would be cool, but it makes it look super messy plus, people could put hateful things about others and once they do that if people see they will spread it and spread it around until it gets to the targeted person.

If only there was a way to police or moderate this kinda activity, oh wait...
    Wuffy said:

This has been suggested before, Admins refuse to bring back the signatures because it may cause lag especially for an user with slow internet connection.

Simple you just limit the sig file size.
  • 4.30 Karma
    Well signitures i see not being very useful, gifs and stuff would be fun to mess around with and easier ways to do stuff like fancy fonts, i mean Remembering this is hard.
  • PimyddPimydd Member
    16.00 Karma

Well signitures i see not being very useful, gifs and stuff would be fun to mess around with and easier ways to do stuff like fancy fonts, i mean Remembering this is hard.

this isn't hard it's just very simple html
  • CortanaCortana UnknownFamiliarForum Moderator, Game Moderator, Familiar
    70.70 KarmaFamiliar
    I don't think we need signatures. What's the point to put more strain and loading time on the forums?
    BJDware said:

Why would we need sigs when we have profile activity?

Agreed with this.

Also Horus responded about signatures long time ago, stating it won't be added: http://forums2.cubiccastles.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/475/#Comment_475
  • iCantiWilliCantiWill Member
    46.65 Karma
    gdog said:

good forum

@Cortana Can't this be added
    edited April 21 70.70 KarmaFamiliar
    You might want to actually read the post I linked, since everything, including this, is mentioned there. I'm not a forum admin, I don't know why you're addressing this to me in the first place.

I have nothing against the edit tab, I think it would actually be handy to have since plenty of people still have issues with certain codes even after browsing the thread I made to help those who want to know how to edit their threads. Not to mention the threads get constantly broken by overload of spoilers/broken coding. Some edit tab with an automated warning pop up would be more helpful.
  • EagenceEagence Member
    5.60 Karma

gdog said:

good forum

@Cortana Can't this be added
    I don't think this could be added to vanilla forum unless someone decides to write an add-on or find something like that...

Even I think more features in forum could be good, I think that much complexity or signiture are not required... The tool that you and gdog show is simply including almost anything from links to code space as well as colored texts and upperand lower texts...

That much feature may reduce readibility of forum especially if people start coloring their texts or making wierd siginitures that cause lags or involve unsuitable texts...

However if somethings like these could be added to improve writing:

- Picture Adding Button to Profile Page, Activity & PM System
    - Text Font, Size, Boldness and Italicity buttons/settings
    - Bullet Points both as Numbers and as Dots...
    - Countdowns as well as Gif players that work when pointer is on them...

etc etc.
  • HorusHorus EnglandForum Administrator
    edited April 21 33.30 Karma
    My stance on signatures hasn't changed, it adds cluster and makes everything load significantly slower. On forums that choose to display them, I always feel like as if someone shoved their business card up my face every post. Sure, it could be limited in display size, but it would need a lot of scripting to limit what can be put into them, how big embedded file sizes can be, etc.. just not worth it.

However, I agree that the comment window could benefit with formatting options... but limited, only basic bold, italic, bullet-point, spoiler etc to aid inexperienced users. Multi-sized rainbow puke all around the place is what I want to avoid.

I have enabled a plugin with formatting options above the comment bar with a different image/file upload, let me know if it's all good.
  • EagenceEagence Member
    edited April 21 5.60 Karma
    Nice Work, I liked, will make writing a lot more easier ^_^

Some small details and questions...

- Does code also works for us now or only for admins/mods?
    - Can we costumize spoiler button to add titles also?
    - Can quotes may find their owner?
    - Does old features remain like that blue spoiler bar that we click?

Bold
    Italic
    Left
    Mid
    Right

CubicCastles.com
    • Test
    • Test 0
      • Test 1
      • Test 2
        • Test 3

1. Test
    2. Test 0
      1. Test 1
      2. Test 2
        1. Test 3
    Horus said:

I always feel like as if someone shoved their business card up my face every post. Sure, it could be limited in display size, but it would need a lot of scripting to limit what can be put into them, how big embedded file sizes can be, etc.. just not worth it.

Multi-sized rainbow puke all around the place is what I want to avoid.

Yes, it makes my profile picture less famous !!!

Some features are better, some are not that good...

- Bullet Points and Numbering has 1 line in between each and a bit hard to arrange...
    - Auto marking feature is better for each item... Which I use now.
    - I am curious if spoilers may look more like old style instead of just 3 doted buttons...
    - We also can't close spoilers ones they are opened...
    - Just Pictures can be added without attachments
  • Mcwolf the SaneMcwolf the Sane BangladeshMember
    38.65 Karma
    Spoilers can be closed by clicking on the box, @eagence
  • EagenceEagence Member
    5.60 Karma
    Ah thanks not realized ^_^
    edited April 21 70.70 KarmaFamiliar
    I'm going to lock this since a reply to the main post has been given.

If you have any questions/bug reports in regards to the new comment toolbar, feel free to leave it here: http://forums2.cubiccastles.com/index.php?p=/discussion/11738/thanks-horus#latest or just send a pm to Horus.
This discussion has been closed.